Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank contactless

• 14-09-2017 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey does anybody know if Ulster bank charge you for using the contactless? I keep checking my online account and I keep seeing €4.44 irregular charge on my account? The girl in the bank said I overdrew on the account but I know I didn't and it's still coming out can anyone help ?

Thank you
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Ulster Bank do not charge transaction fees for contactless transactions.

Ulster Bank charge maintenance fees unless you adhere to their terms to avoid the maintenance fees. The charge is 4 EUR per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Are debit cards contactless with UB yet? My credit card is but Visa Debit isn't..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are debit cards contactless with UB yet? My credit card is but Visa Debit isn't..

Debit cards are still old fashioned.

But you can use android pay if you have it and link your debit card to that for contactless. Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 josphf

JTMan wrote: »
    Ulster Bank do not charge transaction fees for contactless transactions.

Ulster Bank charge maintenance fees unless you adhere to their terms to avoid the maintenance fees. The charge is 4 EUR per month.

They keep charging me 4.44 euro 4 time on the same day so the took 17.76 euro on me which is not right last month I had 7 or 8 off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I got a new debit card a few months ago and it's contactless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

josphf wrote: »
    Hey does anybody know if Ulster bank charge you for using the contactless? I keep checking my online account and I keep seeing €4.44 irregular charge on my account? The girl in the bank said I overdrew on the account but I know I didn't and it's still coming out can anyone help ?

Thank you
    Joe

You know when you use contactless your available balance doesn't decrease in real time? So it's possible to go overdrawn without realising it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

They keep charging me 4.44 euro 4 time on the same day so the took 17.76 euro on me which is not right last month I had 7 or 8 off them.
    Did you lodge a cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Tzardine wrote: »
    Debit cards are still old fashioned.

But you can use android pay if you have it and link your debit card to that for contactless. Works great.

I'm contactless on Debit and Credit for over a year now with UB.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

vandriver wrote: »
    Did you lodge a cheque?

my boss put my wage through for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

my boss put my wage through for me
    Some payments might have hit the bank before the wages did.
    Does your balance run near to zero before the wages go in?

• Advertisement

You know when you use contactless your available balance doesn't decrease in real time? So it's possible to go overdrawn without realising it...

yet I know that I got stung with that before so this time I made sure not to do it.
    and i see on my online banking that the 4 transaction that I was charged for was when I had money in my account It was for when I used contactless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not necessarily and the opposite isn't always the case for chip and pin. Some shops always look for immediate authorisation with contactless rather than use offline mode. And chip and pin can be used in offline mode depending on the merchant agreement.

yeah

yeah

9.78 was overdrew on it this week then my wage went in and
    They took the 9.78 out and I still got charged the 4.44

9.78 was overdrew this week and then my wages went in and they took the 9.78 out and they still charged me the 4.44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

9.78 was overdrew this week and then my wages went in and they took the 9.78 out and they still charged me the 4.44

Yup. That's how banks work.

They took the 9.78 you owed them and charged you 4.44 for loaning it to you. (Irregular account fee for having no overdraft)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I got my Visa Debit replaced last week, still not contactless.
    I'm guessing I'm not eligible for some reason, but can't quite figure out why.
    Does anybody have any confirmed info on eligibility?

Possible issues that I can see, but cannot find stated anywhere that it would matter:
    Account card is on is a Joint Account
    Account card is on is a uFirst Account

I'll give them a ring to ask eventually, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They told me that they stopped sending out contactless cards because so many people were refusing them. Not sure how true that is but you can request one if you want.

They told me that they stopped sending out contactless cards because so many people were refusing them. Not sure how true that is but you can request one if you want.

Weird. Chatbot just told me that any replacement card would automatically be contactless. By time I got
    put through to real chat person I had to go do some work.
    Honestly not even sure I want it, just curious why I don't have it (if that makes sense).
    Kinda sick of filthy looks from shop staff when they realise I don't have the functionality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Got visa bebit contactless from UB a couple of months ago, this worked for about a week then would not work in some atms, went into UB and asked for a new card as i felt the one they sent me was faulty, got new debit card from UB within a few days buy was not a contactless card, I don't mind that it is not contactless so never enquired about why they sent out a non conractless card. If yoy want a debit contactless just phone them and ask for one, I'm sure they will be able to send one out if they are available.

• Advertisement

I rang up eventually; I was told I couldn't be given it but not sure why. I said fair enough, and was trying to figure out the reasoning with the guy, when he suddenly realised that I could get contactless.
    Contactless card received about a week later, have only started using it since start of December, really liking the convenience of it so far.

On the same call, after my card was confirmed as being issued, I asked about issuing my wife a contactless card for the same joint account, was told that was no problem. Then 20 seconds later told that it couldn't be issued and he had no idea why.

So yeh, company or personal incompetence abound, but ~I'm sorted for the moment. My wife can call up and argue herself a card whenever she feels like it :)

Advertisement