Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to apply for maternity benefit?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

It says 6 weeks before online (which would be Xmas week for me) but I've read other older threads that say there have been delays with payments and I definatly want to avoid that if possible.

What's your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I applied last week at 26 weeks, you can apply once you're over 24 weeks so I figured it cant be too early. Im due in December so didn't want to risk the payments being delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

lashes34 wrote: »
    I applied last week at 26 weeks, you can apply once you're over 24 weeks so I figured it cant be too early. Im due in December so didn't want to risk the payments being delayed.

Great, I will probably do it earlier too. No harm in doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I spoke to them last week and they said the backlog/ delays were cleared and they were working on the applications of people going on leave the first week in October. I applied at 25 weeks (as another poster said, you can apply from 24 weeks). It was handy to get it out of the way. Like you, OP, I absolutely cannot afford a delay in payment.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not working so not entitled to it, but for the paternity leave my husband will be sending in the forms at week 24/25. The bit on the form that the doctor has to fill out can't be done until week 24, so I'll bring that along to the GP and give it to the hubby to send in with his form. I think I did the same thing when I was having my son a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I applied early around 28 weeks. I have friends who had premature babies + if that happens the last thing you want to think about is forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

appledrop wrote: »
    I applied early around 28 weeks. I have friends who had premature babies + if that happens the last thing you want to think about is forms.

I didn't even consider premature labour!!

I'm gonna get it done in November, Well before Xmas. Should be ok then!

Advertisement