Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed over Junior Cert results :(

• 14-09-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Got them yesterday. I've been really down and depressed and really sad overall as I was expecting better. I studied throughout the whole of 3rd year. Started in September. Yesterday was just awful. When I saw the results I felt like just breaking down. Not even a single A and a D in maths (all honours by the way).

I went from an A in History, French, Geography, Religion, Cspe and Business in the mocks to a B/C in the Junior Cert.

I studied extremely hard for English. I got a higher merit in the mocks. I thought I genuinely did really well in it but ended up with a Merit in the real thing.

My parents keep telling me I did well but I know in my heart these aren't good results for me at all.

I spent the whole of yesterday being sad in my house alone while everyone else was partying or doing whatever.

I can't do Computer Science in College anymore because I need at least a C or B in Maths in the JC to be allowed to take part in the honours class...idk what
    to do anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Can you appeal to the teachers to allow you into the honours maths class and get some grinds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Talk to someone in school. If you did better in your mocks maybe you had a couple of off days. In a few years time no one will care about your junior cert. There may be a possibility of your doing honours maths in leaving cert if school think you have the potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You did good and a lot better than others. I know it's a little patronising but it's only the junior cert.
    Regarding the whole subject choice thing. If your in TY now(Think you posted here before). You've a while to make up your mind. Talk to the school either by yourself or your parents. If you can't talk them around generally people can unless you did really really bad. Your in transition year now and you can prove yourself to your teacher during the year. You can always look into doing higher maths externally.

OP...

This will sound patronising. And harsh. But it's just the Junior Certificate. I can't remember what I got in mine. In two years time, you likely won't remember what you got in yours. It really doesn't matter and will have little or no impact on your life as a whole.

I can almost guarantee it.

You're overthinking it and putting far too much pressure on yourself.

Talk to your school. Let them know that you want to do honours maths. Tell them that you'll work hard at it. Try to find out how many points/percentage away you were from getting a C in Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Your teachers can't prevent you from taking honours maths if you want to do it. Tell them you'll work hard and your intended college course depends on it. They'll understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

I can empathise. I felt the exact same...only got a C in higher maths in my JC. Guess what? I now teach honours maths. Chin up. Enjoy Ty and use it to get on top or even ahead in your maths skills. If your grades were consistently good in 3rd year maths I can't see any teacher not willing to let you try until Xmas at higher level. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others say, think of the JC as a prep for state exams rather than a determinant of anything. I took a subject at honours level for the Leaving that I didn't even do for the Junior Cert.

The school can't prevent you from doing honours ultimately. When it comes to telling the department of education what subjects and what levels you will be doing, you are the one who fills out the forms, not your school and not your parents.

Worst case scenario you go off and study honours maths in your own time, either independent study or through grinds or whatever.

However, there isn't a single teacher on this planet who will turn away an interested and dedicated student. More than half of your peers are just coasting through school, dying to get to the end of it, and can't be arsed paying attention.

Don't bother talking to to the school. Go directly to the teacher who is giving the honours maths class and tell them that you still intend on doing honours for the leaving cert and want to stay/transfer to his class, and that you know you can improve on your JC result. You will not be refused. I guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got a D in Honours English and now have a PhD in it and lecture at a well-known third level institution. Do not let this deter you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Another option OP is to ask to view your scripts

Get your teacher to go through your script with you esp the maths

In my LC they forgot to add in a whole question. Mistakes can happen

If you are close and there is a possibility of getting a better grade it may be worth appealing

Worth looking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

My daughter did her JC last year and didn't get a high enough (or so she thought) to do Honors English. She just started 5th year and after a conversation with her teachers, she's doing honors English.

Other girls in her year had the same issue with Maths, once you show the school you are determined to work hard and put in the effort they will consider your situation.

Best of Luck and don't be so hard on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Dont be so hard on yourself. arrange a meeting in the school regarding your results. if you really feel that you might have done better ask for them to be reviewed.

my son got his Wednesday too and even though he got a D in both English (achieved award) and Irish he is in the honors class for leaving for now.

best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Another option OP is to ask to view your scripts

Just to be clear, as someone else mentioned this as well. You can't view your scripts for JC.

Also, your school can't make you do OL. Are you doing TY? You could spend this year working on maths and explain to your school how you really want to do HL.
    As another poster said, HL maths isn't necessary for a lot of Computer Science courses anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Please take all the advice on board and try to just relax over the weekend. Go in on Monday to your teacher or year head with a solid study plan and show your dedication to work at maths in higher level. Please don't beat yourself up over your results. You can't change them but you can decide how you go forward. If the teachers see how dedicated and serious you are I can't see why they won't let you do higher. Just keep a cool head and demonstrate why it's important to you. Best of luck. And talk to your parents if you're really down,dont bottle it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Lesson learned for the Leaving Cert: just because you got As in your mocks doesn't mean you can take your foot off the pedal in the run up to the real exam. Remember hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lesson learned for the Leaving Cert: just because you got As in your mocks doesn't mean you can take your foot off the pedal in the run up to the real exam. Remember hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.

Sorry but that's all rubbish, op don't worry about it, these things happen, I'd imagine you done your best, state exams are not really that important anyway. Just focus on the leaving now but don't over do it, make sure you enjoy your time in school. Best of luck

Advertisement