Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go next?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 9:03pm

I've been unhappy in my current job for quite a while now but I don't know where to go next.

I currently work in IT for a MSP, supporting small and medium businesses. I've been there for almost 5 years. In the past, most my work was in a workshop role, setting up new desktops, laptops and servers, and repairing desktops and laptops. I also carried out some remote server maintenance. However, back in November I was redeployed in level 1 helpdesk tech support because they felt that they needed someone experienced on there to improve standards. And I hated it - since then my morale has dropped significantly. Despite working with customers for over 10 years, I still haven't developed a thick skin and it only takes one irate customer to upset me and get me in a mood all day. Just today, I had a customer lose the rag with me because I couldn't help him with a Sage problem. Yet, the root cause was that he was trying to circumvent the licence. When I pointed this out, he asked for my manager because I'm useless (with some swear words thrown in for good measure). And that really got to me.

I don't think it would be reasonable for me to expect to avoid the helpdesk entirely in there (that's a failing of me rather the company in fairness) but I really don't want to do it anymore and mentally, it's not doing me any good. I'd also like to move on because I'd like to live closer to (or with) my girlfriend. But I have absolutely no idea what sort of roles I should be looking at.

I love working on the physical machines themselves (replacing faulty parts or diagnosing issues), but not so much with supporting the software that runs on them. This dates back to my love of electronics as a child. Yet, everything is going software-based and hardware is pretty much disposable. So I feel like what I love and want isn't possible anymore. Maybe I'd be better supporting a single company where I can excel at what they do, rather than trying to be a jack of all trades, I don't know. I even toyed with the idea of leaving IT altogether, but then I ask the question "what else would I do?" and I can't answer that.

Sorry if none of this makes sense or just seems like rambling, but I wanted to vent somewhere. After 5 years, maybe I've just run my course in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Helpdesk, infrastructure in a private company??

Or upskill and go for a complete fresh start, using your skills. Say for example programming and maintaining IOT devices, AI, VR Development. Theres a whole new wave of cool stuff out there, ride the wave.

Don't let a manager who thinks who knows what best for you, tell you. Support, sucks, it doesnt even require a brain at first level, most people are reading from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

sounds like deskside support is your next port of call. if you love the hands on, its great, and your not avoiding the customer, but on the plus side, their call has been triaged by 1st level support already, the irate customers have had a vent, and now, you have come to help them . that doesn't hurt! Of course a muppet will always be a muppet .. that's life. for the decent 98% of people they are glad to see you!!

In my expereince you get good job satisfaction because your fixing things, not dealing with all sorts, and because you are the 'hero' with a 90% + fix rate you become a valued colleague.

i worked with some very senior people - inc the head accountant of my multinational - and everytime i dropped into his office he made me a cup of tea (personally) while i fixed his tax software etc. I was on 1st name terms with everyone from the warehouse lads to the CEO.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Karsini wrote: »
    I currently work in IT for a MSP, supporting small and medium businesses. I've been there for almost 5 years. In the past, most my work was in a workshop role, setting up new desktops, laptops and servers, and repairing desktops and laptops. I also carried out some remote server maintenance.
    Get a deskside support job. What you've described above should get you a job. Fcuk level 1 sh|te, especially with your experience.

Check out a company called Ipsus; although I didn't get a job though them (I lacked deskside support experience at the time), I got a nice feel from them, from their questions, etc.

Thanks guys. That sounds more like what I want so I'll definitely take a look! :)

Advertisement