Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless road wheelset recommendation?

Options
  • 14-09-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Well, there I was tipping along around the 40 mark enjoying the spin into work on a nice autumn morning as opposed to the tail end of whatever tropical storm has been lashing the Atllantic of late when a feeling of the bike being a bit sluggish, quickly followed by a feeling that the bike felt a bit wobbly, was followed by a very quick dismount after a glance down at the back wheel to be confronted by this:

uc?export=download&id=0B6OD0AQXecTobWdfOHhNWXhIcTA

(many thanks to the kind soul who offered me a lift home thus avoiding a 1.5km trudge with bike on back)

So my Ksyrium Equipes are toast, at least the back one, which puts me in the market for a new wheelset. Budget is €500 give or take and my thinking is to go tubeless (alloy and low/medium profile - I won't be racing, but they need to be up to standing up to the crap roads hereabouts).

I know Zondas have a great rep hereabouts, but from what I can make out the tubeless version (2-Way-Fit) seems to have been discontinued - the Campy website only lists a clincher.

Mavic have also released a bunch of tubeless wheels (UST) in the past few months, and the Kysyrium Elite UST would fit the bill, albeit a wee bit over budget since their newness looks like there's not much in the way of discounts around as yet.

Anybody rode the new Ksyriums yet? Anything else worth looking at in that price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

If not racing I'd be going handbuilt;

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/mavic-open-pro-ust-700c-rim-brake-wheelset

Can't go wrong with the Miche Primato / Open Pro combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you sure you want to go tubeless? You are very limited in your choice of tyres and from reading many many reviews on them (as I have tubless wheels but run them with tubes) the pros don't outweigh the cons by any manner or means. They're heavier tyres, very messy if you do get a puncture and you still have to carry a tube around with you in the event of a puncture.

I decided against them and went with latex tubes in my 28mm Durano's on 21mm ID wheels and run them at 50psi front/55psi rear and the comfort on them is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

AmberGold wrote: »
    If not racing I'd be going handbuilt;

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/mavic-open-pro-ust-700c-rim-brake-wheelset

Can't go wrong with the Miche Primato / Open Pro combo.

Handbuilt was my other thought, that looks like a good set. The Open Pros might be tight for clearance as the new ones are 19mm and Mavic recommend 28mm tyres (I'm currently running 25mm). I'm contemplating a set built around a SP dynamo hub for the winter steed/do it all Croix de Fer now that the nights are starting to close in, but I'd be looking at 35mm tyres on that. It's food for thought though
    Are you sure you want to go tubeless?

Well, truth be told, I'm still half on the fence. My thinking is that practically all of the punctures I've gotten since moving to GP 4 Seasons have been pinch flats, so a reduction in those would be most welcome. But to balance that, the faff with getting the things on in the first place is off-putting. I'm not too worried about the lack of tyre choice at the minute - now that the 800lb gorilla in wheel manufacturing has committed I'd guess the tyres will come over the next year or two (though I'd need a replacement for my trusty Contis).

Since I'm going to have to replace the wheelset anyway, now would be the time to make the jump as I'd be looking at getting a few years out of them. If the consensus is that they're a complete PITA though, I could be disuaded, in which case the decision becomes simples :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Tanus solids?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're getting pinch flats your pressures are too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Tanus solids?

If it was just a commuter, then maybe, but I don't fancy racking up lots of Kms on minor Waterford roads on solid tyres
    Lumen wrote: »
    If you're getting pinch flats your pressures are too low.

Oh I freely admit it's completely down to me being a lazy ass and going by prodding the tyre rather than actually getting the pump out in the morning. I also tend to run the pressure a bit lower on account of the aforementioned road surfaces (about 90psi in a 25mm, bit more in the back). I don't get that many, but almost invariably they happen in lashing rain, so self sealing tyres begin to look appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Are you sure you want to go tubeless? You are very limited in your choice of tyres and from reading many many reviews on them (as I have tubless wheels but run them with tubes) the pros don't outweigh the cons by any manner or means. They're heavier tyres, very messy if you do get a puncture and you still have to carry a tube around with you in the event of a puncture.

I decided against them and went with latex tubes in my 28mm Durano's on 21mm ID wheels and run them at 50psi front/55psi rear and the comfort on them is second to none.

All you need is one really good tubeless tyre and

https://www.bike24.com/p2143166.html

is it. It's lighter and faster (even allowing for sealant and valve) than GP4000s with standard butyl 100g tyre. Been running them a few weeks with no punctures (another guy in the club has been running tubeless for months and has not punctured either) but if I do puncture I fully expect to be able to pop in a spare tube just as with any other tyre.

Have a read of

http://www.wheelsuckers.co.uk/profiles/blogs/review-schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-tyre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

@harringtonp - how were they to fit? Compared, say, to Conti 4000s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I had a tubeless set up and decided to switch back.

My biggest issue with tubeless is the tyre pressure. You're recommended to run them at the minimum pressure stated on the tyre wall. I found out that when i got a puncture it would seal but once i pumped the tyre to a high pressure 90 psi + the seal wouldn't hold.

they're great if you're commuting to work and run them at 70psi but for a long Sunday spin they're not for me hence the switch back to tubes.

+1 on https://www.bike24.com/p2143166.html

Great tyre!

brownian wrote: »
    @harringtonp - how were they to fit? Compared, say, to Conti 4000s ?

I couldn't fit them with an ordinary track pump so got them fitted for me. I've yet to buy and try a compressor pump.

I would expect that if I puncture and have to fit a tube it would be easy enough now that the tyre is worn in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

It's Tubeless all the way for me now. I have been running Schwalbe pro-One 23mm tyres on Easton EA 90s for the the passed two years. Only one puncture that self sealed on a Sportive and saved the day. Though those tyres were on their last legs by then after over a year of use. Recently I have fitted 25mm version of the same tyre onto 2way fit Zondas, to save the Eastons for good use. They were a bit tight going on but no levers were needed - Just used a cloth to roll them on to save my thumbs! Tubeless roll so well. Go for it JMcL...

Corker1 wrote: »
    Tubeless roll so well. Go for it JMcL...

Free speed as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a set of tubeless ready wheels. I run them with tubes and Continental Grand Prix 4000s. I've been thinking of switching to the Schwalbe Pro 1s, but some reviews say that they give good mileage. I've seen photographs, where they look well tattered after a few hundred kms.
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I've run tubeless on a cross bike and currently on a road bike . There was a noticeable difference in feel and speed on the cross bike when I converted to tubeless . Just felt really sweet and my speed went up . The tyres were the same as they were tubeless compatible. One downside was when I did puncture I could not pump them up with a high pressure although it was ok at low pressures . The tyre had a cut so it just wouldn't seal well and needed a new tyre. They did feel great though.

As for the road wheels . I'm not going any quicker and they don't feel really any different, but no punctures yet with 1200k on them . I wouldn't be overly happy with the stock tyres and most seem to change them to the schwalbe ones.

Advertisement