Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd go Ryzen or wait for the new coffee lake CPU's that are suppose to be released 4 or 5th of October as both Ryzen and coffee lake have 6 cores which will future proof you for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pmc8

Thanks for your reply do you think a ryzen 5 would be good enough for gaming I'd mostly be playing fps and some rts as well.I was thinking if I went for a ryzen 5 it would leave me with a bit more budget to try get a good graphics card as they seem to gotten very expensive ! .

RAM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505657328&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+Vengeance+LPX+16GB+%282x8GB%29+DDR4

But you can also buy everything from Overclockers to save on shipping. Like they are a small bit more expensive than amazon but you may have to pay for shipping from amazon I never checked and if you buy all components from overclockers you only pay shipping for everything as a whole rather than separate.

RAM from Overclockers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-25600c16-3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b32-my-456-cs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

For what it's worth, I recently built a Ryzen 5 1600 system with the Corsair 3000 MHz ram Wotzgoingon linked to above and I am very happy so far.

The 1600 (not the 1600X) is packaged with a very quiet cooler which easily supports an overclock to 3.7 GHz at stock voltage while keeping the temperatures low.

Intel will offer superior performance if you're after very high frame rates but the Ryzen doesn't fall too far behind. Have a look at comparison videos to help make your mind up. If you go with Intel, I would definitely wait for Coffee Lake.

Ryzen had some teething problems early on but these have mostly been ironed out at this stage. Personally I had no issues at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys I ordered the ryzen 5 and motherboard this morning.no doubt I will be back with more questions later when I go on the hunt for a gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

pmc8 wrote: »
    Thanks again guys I ordered the ryzen 5 and motherboard this morning.no doubt I will be back with more questions later when I go on the hunt for a gpu.

Didn't see it mentioned, but be aware that Ryzen doesn't have an onboard GPU.

OSI wrote: »
    For gaming, Ryzen 5 probably wasn't the wisest choice. Benchmarks put it on par with intel chips from as far back as 5 years ago. Where it shines is in multi-threaded productivity applications.

It is an excellent gaming CPU yes at 1080p the Skylake and Kabylake i5's and i7's have higher FPS but the minimums are better with the Ryzen 5 and then if you go up to 1440p they are the same.

And what you are saying is mostly true with older titles all modern titles are using more cores and threads.

Edit:

Also all those old 4 core CPU's are obsolete sure even Intel are bring out 6 core cpus next month and then next year Intel are bringing out 8 core CPU's to the mainstream not just HEDT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

OSI wrote: »
    For gaming, Ryzen 5 probably wasn't the wisest choice. Benchmarks put it on par with intel chips from as far back as 5 years ago. Where it shines is in multi-threaded productivity applications.

Poppycock. Ryzen is the only cpu that makes sense unless you are trying to push 144fps+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say an i5 makes very little sense now going forward unless you already have a G4560 or i3 and don't want to change board.

The i5 would trump it in some current and a lot of older releases alright, but we're talking north of 60fps anyway so it's not really much of a concern. Modern games are finally starting to make use of more than 4 cores, though admittedly right now they are still in the minority.

But buying now in 2017 as a new platform, a Kabylake i5 doesn't really make a whole lot of sense unless you have some extremely narrow field of usage that favours the Intel.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Didn't see it mentioned, but be aware that Ryzen doesn't have an onboard GPU.

Yeah I've read that,I've planned to get a gpu anyway hopefully next month if budget allows.with the price of cards being so high I may look into getting a second hand card or maybe selling a kidney to afford a new card lol.

Advertisement