Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun licence question

Options
  • 14-09-2017 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Is it possible for me to get a licence for a calibre greater than .22 without obtaining a deer hunting permit for instance I am looking to get a lee enfield .303

Thanks in advance I can't find an answer in my own research

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Short answer is you can license any calibre as long as you have the justification for wanting it. I know lads that shoot .243 for foxes where as a .17hmr will kill foxes it wouldn't have the range as say a .243. So there justification is the shoot foxes at long distances if you get the point I'm trying to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Luckysasha wrote:
    Short answer is you can license any calibre as long as you have the justification for wanting it. I know lads that shoot .243 for foxes where as a .17hmr will kill foxes it wouldn't have the range as say a .243. So there justification is the shoot foxes at long distances if you get the point I'm trying to make

I seen that but I'm wondering if the super would refuse a .303 if I make that argument

As far as I'm aware this is a centerfire which falls into restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Again if you can convince your FO that this is the only calibre that will do the job that you want it to do them theoretically there shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I seen that but I'm wondering if the super would refuse a .303 if I make that argument

As far as I'm aware this is a centerfire which falls into restricted?

Its not restricted it is unrestricted , join a shooting range and shoot in classic rifle competitions and then there will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Great rifle the enfield. What are you going to use it for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

.303 is unrestricted.
    You can licence centerfire rifles for purposes other than hunting deer, though for .303s the more common usage is probably target shooting. For which you join a range, get their consent, fill out the appropriate parts of the FCA1 with "target shooting" as your Good Reason and that's all that's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

join a range or get a deer license if you want to get a license.

Hmmmm, a lot of threads on here, not saying this is one of them though, of people saying, "i've seen a gun and i want it, how do i get it ?". If you have no use for the gun why get it and why do you want it ? I had access to land walking with rabbits, so i bought a .22 rifle. I wanted to shoot game and bought a shotgun, i was offered deer shooting, so bought a centrefire. The need came well before me actually going out to buy a firearm, never a case of buying a gun and having bought it, sat there scratching my head wondering what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

gunny123 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, a lot of threads on here, not saying this is one of them though, of people saying, "i've seen a gun and i want it, how do i get it ?". If you have no use for the gun why get it and why do you want it ?
    It's a valid question (and there are a fair few threads you won't have seen because they were removed for that reason) but we don't delete *every* thread that's written this way because a lot of people won't explain what they want it for because they think that's boring to people or because they don't think it's anyone's business (which is them being wrong, btw) or because they don't understand how the law is structured and how important that question is to the core of licencing (which isn't an indication of laziness on their behalf but of how badly the law is written) or for some other good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Sparks wrote:
    It's a valid question (and there are a fair few threads you won't have seen because they were removed for that reason) but we don't delete *every* thread that's written this way because a lot of people won't explain what they want it for because they think that's boring to people or because they don't think it's anyone's business (which is them being wrong, btw) or because they don't understand how the law is structured and how important that question is to the core of licencing (which isn't an indication of laziness on their behalf but of how badly the law is written) or for some other good reason.

The reason I am looking for this gun in particular is two fold, one I want a rifle I can shoot out to long range shooting fox's and number two I have a passion for world war 2 history so I want to own a piece of its history

And just to elaborate I have 2 shotguns at the moment but no rifles, I just wasn't sure of the licencing laws of this particular rifle

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    The reason I am looking for this gun in particular is two fold, one I want a rifle I can shoot out to long range shooting fox's and number two I have a passion for world war 2 history so I want to own a piece of its history

And just to elaborate I have 2 shotguns at the moment but no rifles, I just wasn't sure of the licencing laws of this particular rifle

You should join the vintage and classic rifle association (vcrai), plenty of members with old enfields, mausers and the like.

Advertisement