Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on London Underground

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Little late in for work. Harrowing that this has happened again on the tube albeit on a much smaller scale.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Those lidl freezer bags are usually good at stopping stuff from going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,973 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think Ireland is a low risk target unless for a big international event taking place here like a sporting event or something. Now there could always be a lone madman wolf but I can't see any huge cell operating here.

The very fact it's a low risk target makes it a high risk target

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Who put that bag there and where are they now?

Yeah you would think he would be identified pretty quickly if an accident unless of course he was injured or fled in a panic.

My own feeling is that its an unsophisticated terror attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

seamus wrote: »
    In an emergency situation, panickers and attention seekers are the two most dangerous people. They spread fear and misinformation, they cause stampedes and crushes and they make it difficult for emergency services and resources to get to where they actually need to be.

I will continue to point and laugh at overly hysterical people until they learn to cop on and asses a situation before losing their mind.

I'm sorry, but that is full of ****. You are trying to say that if you see a crowd running and scremaing, you will stand calmly there and wait to see what transpires?

I'm not one for over sensationalising events, but to denegrade people for trying to escape for a potentially life threatening event, is a bit cheap and in bad taste considering the events of recent times. If you have any empathy, you will realise that when something like this happens the first wave of people will run from the initial incident, and in turn will cause a knock on effect thos those in close proximity.

Also, to laugh at people that might be concerned for loved one is crass also. The chances might be low, but people can get caught up in these incidents and human instinct will kick in a people will naturally worry.

• Advertisement

I would consider countries like France, Germany, Britain, Spain and Belgium as high risk targets. We are definitely not on that level or close. The fact we are a a small island gives us extra protection in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is a joke, right?

techdiver wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that is full of ****. You are trying to say that if you see a crowd running and scremaing, you will stand calmly there and wait to see what transpires?

I'm not one for over sensationalising events, but to denegrade people for trying to escape for a potentially life threatening event, is a bit cheap and in bad taste considering the events of recent times. If you have any empathy, you will realise that when something like this happens the first wave of people will run from the initial incident, and in turn will cause a knock on effect thos those in close proximity.

Also, to laugh at people that might be concerned for loved one is crass also. The chances might be low, but people can get caught up in these incidents and human instinct will kick in a people will naturally worry.

Totally agree. Given recent events the natural thought would be a bomb. If I was there I would also be thinking to get out of there as quickly as possible as could be another device somewhere eise which is not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

techdiver wrote: »
    You are trying to say that if you see a crowd running and scremaing, you will stand calmly there and wait to see what transpires?
    Nope, I didn't say that at all.

What I wouldn't do is go on social media claiming that I was nearly killed by a bomb or giving thanks that someone half a kilometre away is safe, when all I know is that I just left a building for reasons unknown.

In the actual situation, you get people who start screaming and shouting when there's no actual danger. They haven't seen anything happen, they haven't heard anything happen, but they see some people running and then they'll yell, "There's a bomb!". Which causes panic and chaos.

It might be natural to think it. Shouting it out in a crowded area is just plain stupid. Like I say, panickers are the most dangerous people in a crowd. Quick to incite fear and spread misinformation.

I see Counter terrorism have been called in which appears a more sinister development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Pelvis wrote: »
    Is my arse a bomb too?

No, but your wifes is da bomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like it was botched to a certain extent.

Utterly terrifying.

Probably mentioned before, but I met someone who was on the underground in the July 7th attacks back in 2005. The train pulled up and they were about to get on when they felt that the carriage was a bit crowded and had wanted to try to sit down, so they got into the carriage directly behind that had some seats.

The packed carriage was one of the ones that had a bomb on it.

If this was a bomb, then a lot of people were saved because it misfired.
    I see Counter terrorism have been called in which appears a more sinister development.

TBH, given London's past with explosions on undergrounds, they probably would have called Counter Terrorism even if it appeared everything was fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

If this an Islamic terrorist bomb the obvious response is:

- Say not all Muslims are responsible

- scream for the head of a DJ journalist or celeb who says Islam is not a religion of peace

- light a candle

- change your Facebook profile to Pray For London

- participate in a minute silence

- oppose any sane security measures like restricting travel from counties with Muslim insurgencies into the EU

-oppose rounding up and imprisoning known Islamic extremists

-oppose deporting Islamic hate preachers

-oppose closing down extremist run mosques.

Then rinse and repeat when there is another attack.

- Act shocked this keeps happening and pretend you don't know why

Utterly terrifying.

Probably mentioned before, but I met someone who was on the underground in the July 7th attacks back in 2005. The train pulled up and they were about to get on when they felt that the carriage was a bit crowded and had wanted to try to sit down, so they got into the carriage directly behind that had some seats.

The packed carriage was one of the ones that had a bomb on it.

If this was a bomb, then a lot of people were saved because it misfired.

TBH, given London's past with explosions on undergrounds, they probably would have called Counter Terrorism even if it appeared everything was fine.

Initially led by London Transport police who called in Counter Terrorism. I think if it was some workman with a bag going off terrorism would be quickly ruled out to be honest. The question is where is the person responsible for the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,359 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

when they put a suspect device in a shopping carrier bag, Aldi do is try to cause a Lidl amount of panic, especially when it is in the Centra of a town.

What the passengers should do, when they are Dunnes being afraid, they should just say "Tesco to the police and tell them what we saw". Mace sound like a silly idea but its the best approach to try give these terrorists the Boots.

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

There are reports that a second device has been deactivated. It would appear that this is a deliberate attempt at causing casualties, instead of an accidental chemical reaction or malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There are reports that a second device has been deactivated. It would appear that this is a deliberate attempt at causing casualties, instead of an accidental chemical reaction or malfunction.

From 9 minutes ago
    Scotland Yard say they have had no reports of second device and no reports of a man with a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People going up to window, sticking head against it looking in '' I THINK IT'S BOMB''
    BOOM YOU HAVE NO HEAD.
    Some people are clueless .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Being a Friday and all, I think I know where this is going

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Initially led by London Transport police who called in Counter Terrorism. I think if it was some workman with a bag going off terrorism would be quickly ruled out to be honest. The question is where is the person responsible for the bag.

You're probably right. But I still wouldn't be surprised that Counter Terrorism would be called in anyway.. just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Officially being treated as a terrorist incident

You're probably right. But I still wouldn't be surprised that Counter Terrorism would be called in anyway.. just in case.

The BBC are saying counter terrorism sources confirming terrorism. The people/person responsible needs to be found asap before decides to attack somewhere else.

The BBC are saying counter terrorism sources confirming terrorism. The people/person responsible needs to be found asap before decides to attack somewhere else.

Ah OK. Then it's a blessing that it seemingly failed. Especially given that it likely happened at peak morning time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Statement from Met police:

Officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are investigating after an incident on a London tube train this morning. Police were called at approximately 08:20 BST on Friday, 15 September to Parsons Green Underground Station following reports of a fire on the train. Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, the senior national coordinator for CT policing, has declared it a terrorist incident. Officers from the Metropolitan Police Service and British Transport Police attended the scene, along with colleagues from the London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service. At present we are aware of a number of people who have suffered injuries. It is too early to confirm the cause of the fire, which will be subject to the investigation that is now underway by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command. The station remains cordoned off and we are advising people to avoid the area.
    Met Police spokesperson

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-london-41218382

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Uriel. wrote:
    I'm sure it's not terrorism anyway.

I'm Glad we have our terrorism expert available. How soon can you provide your chemical analysis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

gramar wrote: »
    How do you know it's not a bomb if you haven't got all the facts?

I don't. That's why I'm waiting for the facts before I jump to conclusions

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Could have been a very very major incident if the device had worked properly by the looks of things

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Need to find the w*nker who did it now, before he gets it right.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

An Islamic extremist(s) no doubt.

Advertisement