Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on London Underground

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Of course, they couldn't let people be happy and content in their lives for more than 2 minutes. God I'm so fed up of this crap. Can we please have an action plan of what the fook to do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

flaneur wrote: »
    It still could be a lithium battery pack in a bag full of DIY tools with some guy heading off to do the plastering with a bucket of filler or something.

It does look a bit more likely to be a device that didn’t go off though.

However, it’s hard to tell what it was just based on a couple of photographs of a bucket with some wires.

There’s a big issue with “inspired” attacks where it is just some lone wolf who got radicalized online and tried to cobble a crude device together.
    Another thing is if it were my Lidl bag and I was just innocently carrying something a little volatile like that which ended up reacting, I would immediately be finding the first police officers I could and owning up to explain everything, and not straying more than 50ft or so from it to avoid looking suspicious in any way. The absence of that is highly suspicious (I doubt Scotland would have released their statement if that were the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We asked 100 people : name something you associate with explosions.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

TBH -- if it was a complete accident by someone carrying the items, then surely they would have come forward and admitted to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Billy86 wrote: »
    Another thing is if it were my Lidl bag and I was just innocently carrying something a little volatile like that which ended up reacting, I would immediately be finding the first police officers I could and owning up to explain everything, and not straying more than 50ft or so from it to avoid looking suspicious in any way. The absence of that is highly suspicious (I doubt Scotland would have released their statement if that were the case).

Or alternatively if the owner of the bag was standing beside it when it exploded, he could be seriously injured in hospital and hasn't been able to talk to the police yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

TBH -- if it was a complete accident by someone carrying the items, then surely they would have come forward and admitted to it?

Continuing on that assumption... a rational person might do that but an irrational person (or someone with a fear of persecution)... your shopping caused an explosion on the London underground that resulted in mass panic, the declaration of a terrorist attack and a manhunt for the terrorist responsible... you'd be freaking out rocking back and forth in a corner somewhere.

But yeah, really unlikely now this will turn out to be some accident. Looks like a botched attempt at some homemade bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gandalf wrote: »
    Or alternatively if the owner of the bag was standing beside it when it exploded, he could be seriously injured in hospital and hasn't been able to talk to the police yet.

Well that's a fair point I suppose. Just doubt Scotland Yard (or was in the Met?) would come out and call it suspected terrorism so quickly, they're typically quite measured with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,973 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

El Weirdo wrote: »
    This is a joke, right?

Nope... If security is being bolstered in the obvious areas then it's only natural they shift attention to low security areas such as ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

18 people injured, very lucky none seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well that's a fair point I suppose. Just doubt Scotland Yard (or was in the Met?) would come out and call it suspected terrorism so quickly, they're typically quite measured with this stuff.

My suspicion is this is a botched attempt at a bombing but until it's confirmed everything is on the table. The fact that the bucket appears to be intact means there is a mass of forensic material for the police to work with. Coupled with the extensive cctv monitoring I doubt it will be very long before they identify the individual or individuals involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The MET declared it as a terrorist incident 40 minutes ago. Why is there still an assumption it was an accident?

Police always start at the most serious and work downwards, the idea being that you can easily downgrade an investigation but not so easily upgrade it as you will have lost evidence in the interim.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fr336 wrote: »
    18 people injured, very lucky none seriously.

Big Time, possibly looks to have been a poorly made IED, hopefully the perpetrator is caught so he doesn't get a chance to try version 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I am sure Scotland Yard have identified the culprits already from CCTV and are actively looking for the suspect unless he was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If I was on a packed train, and some prat sucked on one of those electronic smoke machines, they'd receive a swift kick in the balls/boobs

Do+you+even+vape_c48f07_5643192.jpg

Completely coincidence, but they've said it looks like a pressure cooker bomb that malfunctioned. The pic is of a pressure cooker bomb at the Boston Marathon. It would cause absolute carnage if it went off inside an enclosed carraige!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The major worry now is satellite attacks. London should be on high alert.

I am sure Scotland Yard have identified the culprits already from CCTV and are actively looking for the suspect unless he was injured.

It probably wouldn't be hard to identify someone lugging a big Lidl bag through the underground ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't worry, he will be "known to authorities".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

KcFwyc5J.jpg

Those wires look awfully bomb-like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I don't believe that's any less dangerous than the alternative.

I'm not saying it's less dangerous, just that it's the current big threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

gitzy16v wrote: »
    KcFwyc5J.jpg

Those wires look awfully bomb-like

Is that your technical opinion?

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    Is that your technical opinion?

Im no bomb expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It probably wouldn't be hard to identify someone lugging a big Lidl bag through the underground ...

Pretty easy I would have thought. If it had gone off as planned this person would probably not have considered himself surviving unless he just abandoned it.

from another forum ex-army......

That ladies and gentleman is what a failed IED looks like. Note the gas canister in the bucket and the wires hanging out the back. Stay safe people if you see s**t like that or something looks suspicious get as far away as you can or at least put some buildings or solid walls between you and it!!!

Now the police are likely to say that it is not known yet what caused the explosion. but from that picture I can tell you now that was designed to kill and maim. Note that it has a gas canister in the centre of the bucket with various wires hanging out of it. I would hazard a guess that packed around the cylinder within the bucket was shards of glass, nails and ball bearings. I should imagine they were hoping the bottle would explode but instead it's ignited the gas which has gone down the carriage and burned people. So if you see anything like that get as far away as possible or put something solid between you and it.

MET Police confirmed it as a failed IED.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Police always start at the most serious and work downwards, the idea being that you can easily downgrade an investigation but not so easily upgrade it as you will have lost evidence in the interim.
    But you would need legitimate reasons to justify such a high level otherwise every little minor incident would be deemed a terror incident in the interest of ensuring no potential evidence is lost.

It's not to say that they won't downgrade later but it's meeting certain criteria to be classified that way.

Further information from Met sources seem to confirm it's a 'viable' device that partially exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not even angry anymore, just disappointed this is happening so regular and it gets lot of shrugs and ah wells.

Just way it is now. Hopefully nobody with serious or life changing injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Just way it is now

"Part and parcel" as the London Mayor said.

Don't worry, it will be down the memory hole within days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not even angry anymore, just disappointed this is happening so regular and it gets lot of shrugs and ah wells.

I would suggest that is the best response possible from the public at large. There really is no point getting into a panic about it.

I doubt the security services are so blase about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And people stopping to take photos on their phones :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

These news helicopter crews are having a great day out.

Advertisement