Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident on London Underground

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I want to see a much tougher stance being taken - saying there's nothing we can do because they aren't doing anything wrong is not good enough anymore.

First and foremost I believe the law needs changing in regards to what can be considered crime - associating with known extremists, showing terrorist leanings and even harbouring and failing to report know terrorists or terrorist activity should be crimes punishable by jail time in my opinion.

I agree, but we have to be sure we not arresting people who are innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Get off your high horse.

You and I both know we're dealing with people who could care less about our rights. Why should we treat them with kid gloves when we know what they are capable of?

People in the UK have an expectation of a basic level of freedom and human rights. Some people abuse that and if they commit crimes then they should be punished accordingly. Your suggestion to change the laws is an opinion worth discussing. Your opinion to deport British citizens and the other fella's one to drop them in the ocean are simply not.

These basic rights protect all of us regardless of whether those that would harm us respect them or not. Personally I don't trust any Government not to abuse the sorts of powers that the hard-right would want to see installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I want to see a much tougher stance being taken - saying there's nothing we can do because they aren't doing anything wrong is not good enough anymore.

First and foremost I believe the law needs changing in regards to what can be considered crime - associating with known extremists, showing terrorist leanings and even harbouring and failing to report know terrorists or terrorist activity should be crimes punishable by jail time in my opinion.

No it's people like you that don't care about our rights! You advocate changing fundamental and hard won laws of society to deal with an extreme minority of extremist nutjobs, you know that hands them victory on a silver platter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This is just silly. Audrey, have you ever been friendly with another person? Well you might want to nip that kind of carry on in the bud, for fear of being thrown in prison for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

To those who insist on putting down every suggestion made about how deal with extremists;

Instead of repeatedly ridiculing and shouting those of us who are trying to come up with ideas to fight back against these maniacs, maybe you could trying giving suggestions of your own?

As I said already the softly softly approach is not working and things cannot be allowed to remain as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bunny12345 wrote: »
    Part and parcel of living in a big city, unfortunately

Congratulations, you are the perfect stereotype :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScEND4cP_Kobt743reyDJJMf0T_A7CB697nI3lU7B8qnkIAxwFEQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

To those who insist on putting down every suggestion made about how deal with extremists;

Instead of repeatedly ridiculing and shouting those of us who are trying to come up with ideas to fight back against these maniacs, maybe you could trying giving suggestions of your own?

As I said already the softly softly approach is not working and things cannot be allowed to remain as they are.

If you come out wit ridcolus and unrealistic suggestions.....don't complain when they are ridiculed? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

gitzy16v wrote: »

Those wires look awfully bomb-like
    gitzy16v wrote: »
    Im no bomb expert.
    todders wrote: »
    "Educated"...yet you comment based on something you admit you know nothing about.. without having proof at the time of the comment

hmmm ok :-)

Get off the stage

Yes educated,as in somebody who can read,unlike you.
    "Im no expert" means "know nothing about" now does it?
    Go back to school.

That's along way different to rounding up large numbers and interning them

Surly you can wait until they've been convicted....which should be no issue if they are shown to be actively involved wit extremism??

Of course I can, I never said otherwise.

I am not Adolf Hitler. I am talking about rounding up every Muslim and throwing them into the gas chambers.

I am simply saying that if you are known and proven to be involved in extremisim or to be protecting those who then you should be punished.

I can't honestly see what's wrong with such a stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

todders wrote: »
    "Educated"...yet you comment based on something you admit you know nothing about.. without having proof at the time of the comment

hmmm ok :-)

Get off the stage

Here let it go, the poster saw wires hanging out of a device that exploded. You can make a guess like he did without being an expert on explosives.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    And will there by trail by law or do you propose skipping that bit?

And you haven't addressed the question what if they are citizens of the UK, where do you deport them to?

They are confirmed to have fought in a war and killed British soldiers
    So yes, deport them back to the country they fought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Internment worked really well in Northern Ireland, there were no repercussions whatsoever. That's why the troubles ended peacefully when it was introduced in 1971.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Internment worked really well in Northern Ireland, there were no repercussions whatsoever. That's why the troubles ended peacefully when it was introduced in 1971.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They are confirmed to have fought in a war and killed British soldiers
    So yes, deport them back to the country they fought in

And if they haven't? Stop avoiding the question at hand, if they are British Citizens what then?

I am not Adolf Hitler. I am talking about rounding up every Muslim and throwing them into the gas chambers.

I am simply saying that if you are known and proven to be involved in extremisim or to be protecting those who then you should be punished.

There's nothing wrong with this stance

But why are the police not bringing people before courts for being involved with extremisim??

(In theory) All it takes In Ireland is the word of a mid ranking gaurd to be convicted of Terrorism offences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you're shown to be actively involved with extremisim then yes you need to be taken off the street.
    You realise extremism is a very broad term? If that law is enacted, we may as well throw all members of the Iona Institute into prison, not that I'd be against that mind.

Pelvis wrote: »
    This is just silly. Audrey, have you ever been friendly with another person? Well you might want to nip that kind of carry on in the bud, for fear of being thrown in prison for it.

If you hanging out with extremists maybe you should make new friends? Police are not going to arrest someone just for having a chat? If you're a real friend and you are aware, your friend is planning to hurt other people, and never said anything, this is different.

Pelvis wrote: »

Don't be stupid. I'm not talking about throwing people in prison simply for being friends with some-one. I am saying that if you and your friend/neighbour are shown to be involved in extremisim or that if you knew your neighbor was involved and did nothing you should be punished.

gandalf wrote: »
    And if they haven't? Stop avoiding the question at hand, if they are British Citizens what then?

lol stop avoiding the question you brought up?
    I have been talking about the confirmed ISIS scum who have killed that are now on the watch list and for some stupid reason reside in England

They are now in England killing & raping children at will

This is horsesht,I know many who've been convicted of Terrorism offenses (curiously from both sides of the troubles....we never talk/ask of what they get upto...none my business

Often call to visit and hang out with as we have mutual interests and hobbies....in your fantasy world...you want me locked up??

Your trampling over people's civil liberties for virtually no increase on safety

If you too are involved in that terrorism or to have knowledge of a forthcoming attack that you didn't give to the Gardai then yes.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    lol stop avoiding the question you brought up?
    I have been talking about the confirmed ISIS scum who have killed that are now on the watch list and for some stupid reason reside in England

They are now in England killing & raping children at will

Wtf? :Rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You also said 'associating with known terrorists' - a lot of people would be known to authorities to have extremist connections or leanings be it Islamist, Republican, white supremacist or otherwise... but not to their neighbours. Yet you were advocating for these neighbours to locked up, no questions asked.

Like I said between this and trying to deport people to countries they are not from, you're really not thinking this through much.

If you hanging out with extremists maybe you should make new friends? Police are not going to arrest someone just for having a chat? If you're a real friend and you are aware, your friend is planning to hurt other people, and never said anything, this is different.

Do you think terrorists talk openly of their plans?

There's nothing wrong with this stance

But why are the police not bringing people before courts for being involved with extremisim??

(In theory) All it takes In Ireland is the word of a mid ranking gaurd to be convicted of Terrorism offences

Then why are people going out of their way to shout me down and make me look a fool?

What exactly is wrong with wanting to take dangerous individuals off the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I am talking about rounding up every Muslim and throwing them into the gas chambers.

I think you missed a word! ;)

If you too are involved in that terrorism or to have knowledge of a forthcoming attack that you didn't give to the Gardai then yes.

I don't see why people have a problem with this? Take responsibility, people lives are at risk. Someone passing on information, to the police, could save lives.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You also said 'associating with known terrorists' - a lot of people would be known to authorities to have extremist connections or leanings be it Islamist, Republican, white supremacist or otherwise... but not to their neighbours. Yet you were advocating for these neighbours to locked up, no questions asked.

Like I said between this and trying to deport people to countries they are not from, you're really not thinking this through much.

By associating I meant being involved in extremisim with your friend or sympathising with him, keeping secret his plans for an attack etc not just greeting each other on th street.

I am noway involved with terrorism...never will be (it's day is gone in Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Then why are people going out of their way to shout me down and make me look a fool?

What exactly is wrong with wanting to take dangerous individuals off the streets?

Its too un-pc...we must all hold hands and hug,only then will we have peace.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think you missed a word! ;)

Jesus will you stop - you know what I meant

Advertisement