Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bicycle shop service experience in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-09-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Good morning guys. :) Can somebody give a recommendation best bicycle shop service experience in Dublin. I mean by that good service from staff, not overpriced and somebody who is really passionate about bicycling and repairing. Usually when i leave my bicycle somewhere always feel that they didn't put any passion in to repairing bike and it always seems that they didn't actually fix 100% but you pay full and expensive price for that repair. I would appreciate if somebody experienced give me any recommendation where to leave next time bike. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Kev, I've used a guy called Mr. Orange Bikes who will come and pick your bike up for a service or can do smaller jobs at your house of work. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dara in Bee Cycles is very good. Very dedicated, knows about bikes of all kinds, friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Dara in Bee Cycles is very good. Very dedicated, knows about bikes of all kinds, friendly.

2nd Dara in Bee Cycles. I was in with him recently.

I also find 360 friendly, helpful and happy to give advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Never had any major stuff to be done on my bike - have used FreeWheeling on Pearse Street - they sorted my gears, new cable and kindly put a chain guard sticker on the frame as mine was peeling off all for around €15 - which to me was great value as I made a real mess of the gears trying to sort them myself - the sticker was a nice touch and they never even mentioned it to me. They also have a pump outside the side for passers by to use for free. (Like a petrol station pump)

I like cycleways online booking system and they put a new shifter on for me - one I had bought online (no issue with that) for around €15 too

Happy with both places I've used

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I also find 360 friendly, helpful and happy to give advice.

I don't, I find they don't spare the add-ons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fitzcycles

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Bolton Cycles (On Bolton Street!) is excellent. Also ThinkBike in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Bike institute, Dorset st... trained mechanics and good knowledge of on and off road bikes.. I got a bike fit in their studio.. good prices and quick turn around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Another vote for Dara in Bee Cycles!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I used to go to Bike Institute as it was handy for dropping in on the way to or from work. Always decent.

The Spokesman is another mobile mechanic whom has always been good for me and I use regularly (as he stops beside the office). Humphries in Finglas too is always good I find and they have some seriously nice bikes too.

The 2 above, I tell them normally to do what they think needs doing. I've gone in thinking I needed all sorts done and sometimes it was something very simple. I've always been charged fairly.

Bot

There's only one place that was categorically bad, but I won't name them as it may have been a one off and everyone can have a bad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

+ 1 for Bee Cycles go out of my way to drop the bike into him always top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I use Joe Daly's in Dundrum and have always been happy.
    Various small things on 3 very different bikes and I have always been surprised by how little I've been charged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't used Bee Cycles but alot of friends have and all rave about the good service and fair pricing. I also like Commuting Solutions, Joe Daly and Fitzcycles. All have been very good to me. The small shop in Ranelagh and Humpheries Templeogue have been categorically awful. May have been a bad day but I wouldn't go near either again.

Bike Inn in Tallaght used to be great, if you know where the mechanic from there has gone, he would also be highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bike Inn in Tallaght used to be great, if you know where the mechanic from there has gone, he would also be highly recommended.

Mike fetched up in CycleSuperstore round the corner not long after - it's been a while though, so not sure if he's still there.

The other chap (English lad, builds a good wheel) is also somewhere in Dublin too, but can't remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

oflahero wrote: »
    Mike fetched up in CycleSuperstore round the corner not long after - it's been a while though, so not sure if he's still there.

The other chap (English lad, builds a good wheel) is also somewhere in Dublin too, but can't remember where.

Yep Mike is still in Cycle superstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cheap set of tools and learn as you go for me. Mechanic always turns up on time, works for free, and won't do any 'little extras'.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Bee Cycles for me. Just picked up a bike there yesterday. Honest advice and quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bee Cycles. Nobody else comes close. But be prepared to hear the truth about what an awful state your bike is in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Haven't used Bee Cycles but alot of friends have and all rave about the good service and fair pricing. I also like Commuting Solutions, Joe Daly and Fitzcycles. All have been very good to me. The small shop in Ranelagh and Humpheries Templeogue have been categorically awful. May have been a bad day but I wouldn't go near either again.

Presume you meant Hollingsworth in Templeogue - Humphries is in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

For MTB/cx bikes Expert in rathfarnham live up to their name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What are Bee cycles like for turnaround? If they're that highly regarded they must be busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

Woow guys so many love here. Thank you so much for so many replys. I'm going to start contact most of the bike shops from here. From some of them i had bad experience but I can see most recommended was Bee Cycles. Thanx guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

fat bloke wrote: »
    What are Bee cycles like for turnaround? If they're that highly regarded they must be busy?

To say "they" is probably exaggerating the operation to be honest - Bee Cycles is one guy, by the name of Dara. So yeah, he can be very busy, but at the same time you're guaranteed of the same standard of work every time. If concerned about time, I'd suggest ringing him with a description of what needs doing, and he'll tell you when he can fit you in to turn it around fastest.

I will admit sometimes that I've left the shop feeling like he's undercharged me, as far as reasonable price goes! I've also referred at least 4 other people in person (and probably another few on here) and all of them have been happy with the work done, and indeed Dara's frankness - he won't try to upsell you something if you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

fat bloke wrote: »

Dara is great and undercharges in my opinion. I don't know how he doesn't get overwhelmed with the amount of bikes he seems to have at any one time.

Regarding turnaround, and this goes for all bike shops, if you want a job done by a certain date, do it yourself. I learnt that a long time ago with a different shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

360 in Clontarf/Raheny for me and my family.

SWAT team like service.

Professional to the end.

Open at weird times that suit the commuter and hobbiest.

Good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Plasid

Think it's all been said, but a definite +1 for Dara at Bee cyclyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'll vote for Expert Cycles Rathfarnham, run by two guys who are both Irish and World champions in cyclocross and mountain biking, as well as road racing winners...

So anything these guys don't know about bikes and cycling probably isn't worth knowing..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I also like Commuting Solutions, Joe Daly and Fitzcycles. All have been very good to me. The small shop in Ranelagh and Humpheries Templeogue have been categorically awful. May have been a bad day but I wouldn't go near either again.

Fully agree on the bolded ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I do my own repairs. The repairs are always done to my satisfaction and the price is always right.

Advertisement