Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity meter

Options
  • 15-09-2017 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am convinced that my housemate is overcharging me for electricity.

We live in a small two bedroom house with no central heating. The only things we really use are the cooker shower and tv

He takes 100 euro a month from me and he is saying that he is putting in the same amount. Ive asked for the key a few times to do a top up but he always makes an excuse and goes to the shop himself to top it up

Ive paid him this amount every month since i moved in in july

Gerard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

it wouldn't cost that for 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

100 a month sounds way too much I share with 2 others in an apartment and we'd be using TV oven plus a desktop PC each running for several hours a day and only put about 20-30 each on the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lustig2014

cheers guys, was 99% sure, just needed it confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Anicka

Ask him for receipts. You can also top-up these meters online, no need to go to the shop. Ask him if he can contact the supplier to ask for an account statement, they should be able to give him the dates and amounts he topped up by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

He's ripping you off, no doubt about it.

Maybe he is actually topping up by your €100 plus his €100, but the metre would be in credit by quite a lot, unless the account is in arrears & he has some arrangement with the supplier for x% of each topup to automatically go against the arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

4 Bed House costs me bout 100 every 2 months so I'd guess thats a bit steep especially given your usage is at the low end. (no kids requiring multiple clothes washes etc)

Just read the meter there and its showing a zero balance. I gave him 100 euro at the start of the month so he obviously has not topped it up.

He is just taking 100 euro from me and then topping up the meter as and when required.

So I'd say we cant be using anymore than 40 euro a month. So he is getting free electricity with a nice 60 euro profit on top.

Will confront him about it and if it means moving out then so be it

Don't forget about the standing charges, PSO Levy and other charges. These come to about 25 Euro a month in Ireland. There might also be something owed on the meter which would mean that every time he makes a top-up, 25% of that amount is taken immediately towards the outstanding debt. So if he tops up 100 Euro a month, let's say that 40 goes to electricity, 25 to taxes and other charges, that comes up to 65 already, if there's money owed, 25 is taken too, that's 90 Euro gone.

Thanks Anicka, will take a note of that. The meter was installed last year long before I moved in, which the landlord has no knowledge of. Hes says this was due to a former housemate not paying the bills.

Don't want to be staying somewhere where I am helping to pay off either his or the former housemates debt. Also as there is no central heating he is talking about getting an oil canister to provide heating so the cost of that plus 100 euro a month for electricity makes for a very pricey winter

If the debt was accumulated in the previous housemate's name, there is no way you have to pay for it.

If your current housemate was living there with him, that means that he wasn't paying his bills either - don't tell me that he didn't stop at one point to think "I've been living here for months but I've never had to pay a bill".

It's not your responsibility to pay for previous usage in the property. The old housemate should have totally paid his debts before moving out. Should have gone out of his deposit. These things are making me mad.

Unfortunately if the electricity is registered in your current housemate's name, there's not much you can do. A quarter of each top up goes towards the outstanding debt.

Definitely something worth talking about with the landlord if you get a chance. How much did you already pay? That's money wasted that you didn't owe.

Your housemate is taking the pi*s and the old one walked away unharmed.

• Advertisement

Since I moved in on 25th May this year I'd say I've handed over €300 so far.

I lived out in Kildare for two years and had a hassle finding accommodation in Dublin so was just relieved to get somewhere. When I was told its €100 a month electricity I knew it was too high but didn't question it just to keep the peace.

Obviously now I've woken up to whats going on. Texted him there to arrange a sit down for tonight

Good luck with that - I have years of experience with prepay meters, worked with them for ages, so if you have any further questions, definitely post them in here, I'm following this thread and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Yes, I'm actually Batman.

Btw that would mean that you paid 75 Euro towards any outstanding debt - ask for that back, they have no right to ask you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Read the meter and work out how much energy you are using over a week/month.

Thanks, will let you know how the conversation goes tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lustig2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, will let you know how the conversation goes tonight
    That should be interesting, can't wait :)

So he came clean straight away and I'm getting money back as a result. He's also going to give me the card number so I can do my own top ups online and keep track of whats being topped up.

He's a labourer and the amount of work he has been getting has been up and down over the last few months, so he had basically being using my 100 euro a month as his own personal float.

Glad its sorted now but long term I don't really want to be under the same roof as someone who is comfortable with doing that. So I'll move out eventually once the rental market becomes less manic

Glad you got it sorted mate!

Quick update on the electricity situation.

I'm moving out of the flat this week.

I topped up the electricity meter by €50 on 2nd November. He says he has matched that but I haven't seen any receipts. On Saturday he demanded that I topped up the meter because it was in emergency credit.

I said there was no way we have used €100 since the 2nd November, as there is no central heating so the only electricity we use is the shower, cooker, TV and the electric heater he has in his room. (He has the only functioning electric heater in the house).

Sticking to my guns on this one, I see no reason why I should put any more money in that meter.

Moved out now thank feck

• Advertisement

Settled in my new house

Advertisement