Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best player in the world at the moment?

• 15-09-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Who do you think is the best player in the world at the moment? For me it's Neymar.

Best player currently playing 217 votes

Cristiano Ronaldo
    0%
    Lionel Messi
    40%
    byteGibletDempseythe whole year innKalelsReq | uTeKDoctorEdgeWildMr.Nice Guy[Deleted User]yabadabadoJulezhomerjay2005Duck SoupNalzstesaurusRobbieTheRobberBlazerLord TSCDouble CSchism 88 votes
    Neymar
    56%
    Bounty Huntersuper_furryDcullyBig EarsKingp35MyPeopleDrankTheSoupUnearthlyapplehunterA Dub in GlasgoBrian?Roddy23whatawasterlassykkbullpost~Rebel~[Deleted User]elefantciaran765starpoolNIMAN 122 votes
    Other (please state)
    3%
    PacificoSam HainfryupSlipperyPeopleNoviGlitzkogmiskTom Mann Centuria 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Lionel Messi
    Neymar, while brilliant, is a shadow of the other two. No one else comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Neymar
    Its still between Messi and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Neymar
    Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neymar
    Maradona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Neymar
    Messi, by a country mile !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sean Maguire

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neymar
    Messi is more talented, making him the best ever, IMO but Ronaldo is the most focused and driven athlete on the planet taking him to where he is now.

Both are obscenely talented, Messis seem to come more natural (well, discounting his HGH treatments) while Ronaldo, who was clearly very good in his own right, worked an awful lot harder to become the player he is now.

Messi for me has no equal as player, but nobody can ever take away what Ronaldo does and thats score goals for fun and lead his team to trophy after trophy.

It used to be a very one sided debate about 5 years ago but Real and Ronaldo have reigned in that debate considerably.

There wont be anyone around any time soon that can match what these two do, consistently for last decade, so we might as well lap it all up and appreciate them while we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Definitely between Messi and Messi.

Except for in Egypt...then it's Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'll avoid the obvious 2 but in last few months of last season & early this season Isco has been incredible.
    His new contract is a big deal for Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Neymar
    ERG89 wrote: »
    I'll avoid the obvious 2 but in last few months of last season & early this season Isco has been incredible.
    His new contract is a big deal for Real.

Saw him against italy and I couldnt get over the stuff he was doing with the ball, made veratti look like a fool. Unbelievable player and for me the best midfielder in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neymar
    Still Messi. He just has more to his game than Ronaldo.

• Lionel Messi
    fellaini3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lionel Messi
    Some people want it to be otherwise, they want somebody to come along and be the greatest, familiarity has bred some contempt and they want a new name on all those Ballon d'ors.

But they'll have to wait, Messi and Ronaldo remain streets ahead of any other player on the planet. Neymar simply isn't on that "greatest of all time" level.

In my opinion Ronaldo remains the greatest and is currently the best in the world. Recent history just affirms this. But its sad to think that the end is near and soon those two will diminish and we will be back to mere mortals getting the awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Lionel Messi
    Taking about splitting hairs,ones better at free kicks the others better on penos etc,Id sooner have Ronaldo in my squad,but if I ended up with Messi then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My Dad's bigger than your Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Neymar
    Messi.

Messi could be an all time great player without scoring a huge amount of goals , Ronaldo needs to score bucket loads of goals in order to be an all time great player (and in fairness he does that).

Messi is simply a genius who was gifted to the world Ronaldo turned himself into a great player and he is more human than Messi who's just a freakish talent that we probably won't see again for a long long time.

Messi has a genius level that has you in awe of him and you just want to enjoy watching him play, Ronaldo's greatness is his effectiveness as a player but he lacks Messi's aesthetic qualities and that is why he'll always be behind him regardless of what he achieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lionel Messi
    Best I've ever seen following the sport is Messi.

Best player right now at this moment in time I would say is Ronaldo.

But it's close between the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lionel Messi
    I thing we can all agree that Messi and Ronaldo are by far the two best soccer players in the world. For me Ronaldo shades it due to his sheer determination etc. When I look at Rooney I think you fat lazy git..if you have applied the same effort at Ronaldo where would you be.
    Instead I think we should look at who are the next 5 best players.
    I'm going with
    Higuain,
    Zlatan,
    Isco,
    Neymar,
    Kane/Suarez (Suarez is a beast but Kane is only 25 I think so many good years ahead of me,..for me he's the true successor to Shearer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lionel Messi
    Ronaldo. Just has the edge on most aspects of his game. Especially drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Neymar
    such a rehashed topic but i side with what pique says: ronaldo is the best of the humans but messi is not human.

here's a more interesting question: who do you think will be the next ballon d'or winner who is not messi or ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lionel Messi
    such a rehashed topic but i side with what pique says: ronaldo is the best of the humans but messi is not human.

here's a more interesting question: who do you think will be the next ballon d'or winner who is not messi or ronaldo?

Neymar or someone from cl/wc/big tournament winners

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Neymar
    The best comment on this debate I've heard is that Ronaldo is so good, he makes people question whether or not Messi is the greatest. Messi is the total footballer.

I'd love to see Neymar step up this season, he looks like he might.

Other than that, Messi is the best in the world. Look at him in the CL the other night, did everything. Ronaldo is ridiculously good as well it should go without saying. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Samuel Saiz or Pontus Jansson

Tough call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lionel Messi
    Messi is the most naturally talented and the most enjoyable footballer to watch IMO.

But Ronaldo's inner drive to never be anything other than better than the best has led to him being more decisive IMO.

For me, Messi = higher ceiling, Ronaldo = higher output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Neymar
    1. Messi.
    2. Ronaldo.

I think Neymar is a sublime player but has quite a bit to go before being considered close to those two.

Neymar
    Messi and Ronaldo are head and shoulders above Neymar. He'll never reach the heights they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Lionel Messi
    Ronaldo for me, look how Real struggled without him
    Neymar is miles behind the other the two of them

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    R00ster wrote: »
    The best comment on this debate I've heard is that Ronaldo is so good, he makes people question whether or not Messi is the greatest. Messi is the total footballer.

He really isnt
    His defence is suspect and dont get me started on goal keeping ability
    He makes Liverpool goalies look solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Neymar
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Ronaldo for me, look how Real struggled without him
    Neymar is miles behind the other the two of them

Solid reasoning lol, they've actually a better record without him than with him over his time at Madrid.

Now I wouldn't read anything into that from a they're better without him perspective, obviously they're not, but for you to base your reasoning on him being best in the world due to Madrid's slow start without him this season is idiotic in the extreme.

Lionel Messi
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Solid reasoning lol, they've actually a better record without him than with him over his time at Madrid.

Now I wouldn't read anything into that from a they're better without him perspective, obviously they're not, but for you to base your reasoning on him being best in the world due to Madrid's slow start without him this season is idiotic in the extreme.

:rolleyes: atta boy
    Im basing him being the best in the world because hes been crowned best in the world 3 of the last 4
    You discounting the fact that they have clearly missed him is idiotic in the extreme

Neymar
    :rolleyes: atta boy
    Im basing him being the best in the world because hes been crowned best in the world 3 of the last 4
    You discounting the fact that they have clearly missed him is idiotic in the extreme

You *clearly* said look at how they struggle without him. What did you mean by it?

Had you used above reasoning I'd have been OK with it but you didn't.

Lionel Messi
    You *clearly* said look at how they struggle without him. What did you mean by it?

Had you used above reasoning I'd have been OK with it but you didn't.

Think what ever you want buddy, i couldnt care less
    Ive already answered the question in the same way you posted the statement :rolleyes:

Neymar
    Think what ever you want buddy, i couldnt care less
    Ive already answered the question in the same way you posted the statement :rolleyes:

Your statement that they "struggle" without him is simply untrue. They've won 77% of league games where he hasn't played compared to 76% where he has in his entire time at Madrid. That is not struggling in any man's language. There are factors like a small few of those games he missed would be easier ones where is he'd be rested so you'd expect win rate to be higher in those anyway, but most are games he missed due to injury or suspension.

They're better with him in the side for sure, but they're still extremely strong without him, so far from struggling it's laughable unless you're just basing it on the couple of games this year which would be a hilariously small sample to base an opinion on. But feel free to explain yourself.

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi
    Your statement that they "struggle" without him is simply untrue. They've won 77% of league games where he hasn't played compared to 76% where he has in his entire time at Madrid. That is not struggling in any man's language. There are factors like a small few of those games he missed would be easier ones where is he'd be rested so you'd expect win rate to be higher in those anyway, but most are games he missed due to injury or suspension.

They're better with him in the side for sure, but they're still extremely strong without him, so far from struggling it's laughable unless you're just basing it on the couple of games this year which would be a hilariously small sample to base an opinion on. But feel free to explain yourself.

Yawn, i aint biting buddy
    You answered the wins more stats reason yourself, feel free to re-read your own statement

Neymar
    Yawn, i aint biting buddy
    You answered the wins more stats reason yourself, feel free to re-read your own statement

There's a million better reasons you could have chosen to make your point that he's the best instead of inaccurately trying to belittle what is a phenomenal *team* not just one individual.

Lionel Messi
    There's a million better reasons you could have chosen to make your point that he's the best instead of inaccurately trying to belittle what is a phenomenal *team* not just one individual.

Why would i belittle a team i openly support :rolleyes:
    A team with my favorite player in Modric but ya ok :pac:
    For you to ignore that when he plays teams focus on him well..........

Neymar
    Why would i belittle a team i openly support :rolleyes:
    A team with my favorite player in Modric but ya ok :pac:
    For you to ignore that when he plays teams focus on him well..........

I'm not ignoring anything. I've agreed they're better with him, haven't disagreed he's the best in the world, personally can't split himself and Messi but whatever thats boring.

The only thing I'm arguing is your throwaway point that they struggle without him because its simply not true. But feel free to retract it. We all say silly things at times.

Lionel Messi
    I'm not ignoring anything. I've agreed they're better with him, haven't disagreed he's the best in the world, personally can't split himself and Messi but whatever thats boring.

The only thing I'm arguing is your throwaway point that they struggle without him because its simply not true. But feel free to retract it. We all say silly things at times.

I'll pass on the retraction :rolleyes:
    We can agree on you saying silly things however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Lionel Messi
    At the moment it has to be Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Lionel Messi
    Realistically it's only the classicos that Real should lose each season (with possibly two or three other tough games). If Ronaldo plays in all these then the winning stats without him are meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Other (please state)
    I honestly think at the end of the season people will be siding with Neymar. Happy to be wrong, but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Lionel Messi
    I honestly think at the end of the season people will be siding with Neymar. Happy to be wrong, but yeah.

PSG will need to make a serious impact in the champions league. The French league alone isn't enough to push him above the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Other (please state)
    derfderf wrote: »
    PSG will need to make a serious impact in the champions league. The French league alone isn't enough to push him above the other two.
    Yeah true but even at Barca I thought he was a class above in his last season. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

At the moment it's Ronaldo. Over their careers probably Messi.

Hard to separate them at club level, but at international level Ronaldo has that Euro 2016 medal, whereas Messi...I think the biggest news he made at international level was the whole retiring/unretiring thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Surely a better poll would be: Who can match the feats of Messi & Ronaldo?

I think Neymar will be close.

Neymar
    Hard to separate them at club level, but at international level Ronaldo has that Euro 2016 medal, whereas Messi...I think the biggest news he made at international level was the whole retiring/unretiring thing...

Aside from the world cup final, 3 copa America finals, two of which they lost on Pens. Ronaldo wasn't even on the pitch for most of that final so not sure how you think this separates them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Still Messi for me.

Although Ragnar Klavan would be a close second.

• Advertisement
Advertisement