Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Had similar down in Westmeath years ago playing in same comp. It comes with the territory when teams from Dublin travel down the country 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Leinster in general was a bit of a war zone today. This was at the Crossabeg/Ballymurn v Man O War Leinster JFC game in Enniscorthy today.

My personal favourite part was the Man O War waterboy in the hi-vis jacket flinging a water bottle only to instantly regret it.

That was a sneaky one by the waterboy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Cuala had tough game against Vinnies that was decided probably by a Con Callaghan goal. They play Kilmacud in the final. Bit depressing that the three best players on the day; Callaghan, Connolly and Mark Schutte are all on the county football panel :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Curraha easily won the Meath IFC yesterday for the first time in their history, beating St. Michael's 1-17 to 1-7. Curraha have traditionally had their best players poached by surrounding clubs (like John McDermott who left to play for Skryne) so this will probably be the end of that practice.

Large number of clubs around the southeast Meath area in senior next season (Curraha, Ashbourne, Ratoath, Skryne, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne). Should lead to some tasty local derbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ah where is the video gone????

I would know a lot of the Man-O-War lads. They are a tiny club but a great club considering they are surrounded by big clubs. They would be hardy and rivals of ours but I would not say by any stretch are they noted for dirty play.

As for the referees. Maybe he was not the biggest culprit? What I have found going to games at club level is there is some serious acting the mick going on. The level of gamesmanship is really sad to see. Lads getting other players sent off. Especially at Intermediate and junior level. If the rules were applied correctly in all games we would have a right mess on our hands every weekend.

Hammer Archer I heard in work a lad was sent off in the wrong in the wrong in Meath between O'Mathuná and Na Fianna and missed the replay the following week. With umpires that is a serious mistake to make.

Seen a few gems in Dublin this year also. There are some very good referees but a few lads got senior games this year and it was all about image.

Dublin final was great game. If we could distil all that into the county team we would be serious force.

No, that was the final. Cuala 1 - 13 Crokes 0 - 13. Some serious belting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin final was great game. If we could distil all that into the county team we would be serious force.

If only you could stop Dublin football poaching your best hurlers!

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    If only you could stop Dublin football poaching your best hurlers!

Indeed! that battle has been lost unfortunately. Callaghan, O'Carroll, Mark Shutte were among the best players today and all chose football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Indeed! that battle has been lost unfortunately. Callaghan, O'Carroll, Mark Shutte were among the best players today and all chose football.

That story didn't begin today or yesterday, Hanahoe, Keaveney and the Holdens in the seventies. Heffo himself was a good hurler in the fifties, but in an age of more tolerance of duality as far as I know his hurling career wasn't adversely affected.

Patww79 wrote: »

I wouldn't be as critical of Cunningham as others. There was a lot of stuff that went on but he put out teams of young fellas basically, some of them still minors and they did their best. Gilroy is going to have to deal with a lot of stuff!

Feargale, you are correct. In 1961 after losing the final to Tipp Heffernan told players that they had to choose one or other. Footballers won AI two years later. Hurlers lost a whole pile of talented players. I think Des Foley was only player that continued to play both at county but I may be mistaken. Not sure about Lar.

Patww79 wrote: »

Mikey Carton was one the players who fell out with him. Mikey in my opinion was one of the greatest players to hurl for Dublin but you cant keep playing for ever,

Main problem was that Cunningham is totally different personality to Daly. Players adored him and he was their friend. Cunningham is more distant and a lot of them couldn't handle that. Last year was bad but I give him the credit for introducing new players when he must have known his number was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Kilkenny final is an absolute belter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

just wait till the celebrations after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

God only knows what will happen if/when DICKS-boro win *childish snigger*.

• Advertisement

Great game. I fear for our chaps next week. Lets hope Dicksboro have their testerone depleted by weird Kilkenny stuff

Simonstown retained the Keegan cup in Meath beating Summerhill 2-9 to 7 points in a really poor game.
    Such a pity that Meath can't call on the services of Shane O'Rourke or Conor Nash (or even Conor Gillespie for Summerhill) any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Starlights won their tenth ever Wexford senior football title with a hugely impressive 0-17 to 1-8 victory over pre-game favourites and recently-crowned senior hurling champions St.Martin's.

I have been a keen observer of the local champions for years now, and having seen both side's in action this year, I just felt that St.Martin's defence were inclined to be exposed. Starlights' clearly had their homework done in this regard as they attacked in droves from the very first whistle. Martin's were put under huge pressure as a result, and only for a Ciaran Lyng goal midway through the half, Starlights' may well have been out of sight by the break. Their conversion rate was exemplary as they hit only three wides over the hour- the losers' reached something around fifteen in that bracket.

Starlights' manager Joe Hagan (a Monaghan native currently teaching in Waterford) has gained the plaudits for his shrewd approach all year and is a fantastic coach by all accounts. Seemingly works on the basics in training and garnered upmost respect from the entire panel. The proof of that togetherness is in the pudding, and full kudos must go to everyone involved. Genuinely one of the most impressive championship-winning runs I have seen in the county, as they dispatched of the top two in the market (St.Martin's and Castletown) in the final and semi-final respectively, and also comfortably beat a St.James' team that won the title only two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Do we have any idea yet what TG4 are showing this Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Do we have any idea yet what TG4 are showing this Sunday?

Sunday November 5th:
    Leinster Hurling Quarter-Final – Cuala (Dublin) v Dicksboro (Kilkenny) @ 2.00pm (Live)
    Munster Hurling Semi-Final – Ballygunner (Waterford) v Sixmilebridge (Clare) @ 3.35pm (Deferred)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Sunday November 5th:
    Leinster Hurling Quarter-Final – Cuala (Dublin) v Dicksboro (Kilkenny) @ 2.00pm (Live)
    Munster Hurling Semi-Final – Ballygunner (Waterford) v Sixmilebridge (Clare) @ 3.35pm (Deferred)

Are Cuala and Ballygunner playing at home so.?
    And does that mean their own pitch or an approved pitch, ie Cuala will play in Parnell Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

washman3 wrote: »
    Are Cuala and Ballygunner playing at home so.?
    And does that mean their own pitch or an approved pitch, ie Cuala will play in Parnell Park.

Cuala-Dicksboro match is on in Parnell Park. Not sure about other match

Edit: Ballygunner match is on in Walsh Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Cuala-Dicksboro match is on in Parnell Park. Not sure about other match

Edit: Ballygunner match is on in Walsh Park

Thanks for that.
    BTW, Na Piarsigh (Limerick) play Blackrock (Cork) at Limerick's Gaelic Grounds in the other semi-final, also this Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone give Starlights a chance against Simonstown?

Won the Wexford final comprehensively.

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Anyone give Starlights a chance against Simonstown?

Won the Wexford final comprehensively.
    Know nothing about the Wexford SFC, but I can't see it even just going by last year's Wexford champions' sojourn into Leinster. The champions were beaten by 33 by Rhode. Simonstown were slightly unlucky to lose to Rhode in the next round. Given that last year was Simonstown's first Meath championship, I'd hope that they'll be putting more effort into the Leinster championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

20 minutes gone and Corofin very wasteful in front of goal. Bridgets taking their chances and leading 6 pts to 3.

Spoke too soon. Corofin with a goal. 1-3 to 0-6.

Rathnew beating St. Vincent's 7 points to 6 at half time.
    Simonstown well on the way to a first win for the Meath champions in Leinster since 2013. They're leading 1-5 to 4 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

I would expect Simonstown to win but Wexford park is a windy windy pitch and Simons town face it this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Meanwhile what looked like a shock on the cards, Vinnies back in the game.

Rathnew 0-10 to 1-09 Vincents

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Meanwhile what looked like a shock on the cards, Vinnies back in the game.

Rathnew 0-10 to 1-09 Vincents

Vinnies are dogged oul dogs!

Vinnies are dogged oul dogs!

Old boy Mossy Quinn just banged in a goal.

Brigids are kicking this away. Two easy frees missed in 3 minutes.
    Vincent's looked in big trouble (going by Twitter) 3 points down but got 1-2 without reply.

Rathnew 1-12 Vincents 1-09

Some topsy turvy game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Moorefield back level!

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Rathnew 1-12 Vincents 1-09

Some topsy turvy game.
    Jesus christ! That could be one of the biggest shocks in quite a while. I think Vincent's were 1/3 to win Leinster.
    Simonstown get the win. Lomans and Mullinaleaghta are also drawing.

Referee seemed determined to get Brigids the draw. Very suspect free given to Brigids to draw level.

1 point down and Bridgids doing everything to lose this match. Clowns.

Jesus christ! That could be one of the biggest shocks in quite a while. I think Vincent's were 1/3 to win Leinster.

1/16 to win today,

Yep. Rathnew went further ahead.

Shock of the day alright.

1-13 to 1-9.....FULL TIME!

Vinnies gone. Ballymun must be kicking themselves they didn't turn up for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Obvious Otter

I felt Ballymun should have comfortably come out of Dublin this year. For whatever reason they didn’t get going in the final. Great result for Rathnew.

It throws Leinster wide open.

That is seriously impressive by Rathnew!

Moorefield are average enough also so they have every chance now and both Simonstown and St Lomans are hardly extremely intimidating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Moorefield win by a point 1-9 to 0-11

Mullinaleaghta beaten by St. Lomans 1-12 to 1-11. The Longford champions were 1-11 to 8 up with just 12 minutes remaining.
    Meath v Westmeath semi final coming up.
    Moorefield beat Portlaoise in the other quarter final.

It's thrown the Leinster championship wide open.

FT: Leinster club football QF
    Portlaoise 0-11 Moorefield 1-9,
    Mullinalaghta 1-11 St.Lomans 1-12,
    Rathnew 1-16 St.Vincents 1-13,
    Simonstown 1-12 Starlights 0-8

• Advertisement
Advertisement