Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Most wide open Leinster championship in living memory.

Cannot see any of the remaining four there challenging Crokes/Corofin/Brigids or Slaughtneil though.

Once again though, the club championship shows that it is the most entertaining and competitive competition in the GAA by a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Some day of club football, absolutely delighted, Moorefield showed some heart to win that. Would love our inter county team to have their mental strength it's incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comfortable enough win for Simonstown in the end although it could have been a different story if Starlights had taken any of their three goal chances in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Patww79 wrote: »

They were down 2 points behind with 15 mins to play. Went ahead by 2 with 10 to play and lost by 4. Mossy kept them in the game with frees and a goal. Staffords goal killed them.

1-13 to 1-9 in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The state of the pitch in the Corofin/Brigids game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

STB. wrote: »
    They were down 2 points behind with 15 mins to play. Went ahead by 2 with 10 to play and lost by 4. Mossy kept them in the game with frees and a goal. Staffords goal killed them.

1-13 to 1-9 in the end.

What age is Mossy now? Would it be fair to be critical of a club Vinnie's size and stature to be still "relying" on a player (albeit an absolute star for years) at the tail-end of his career?

Surely they have enough resources to be discovering a couple more forwards to ease the burden on Mossy?

Is Dermo stepping up enough, save for a few "youtube" passes?

Genuinely curious

What age is Mossy now? Would be fair to be critical of a club Vinnie's size and stature to be still "relying" on a player (albeit an absolute star for years) at the tail-end of his career?

Surely they have enough resources to be discovering a couple more forwards to ease the burden on Mossy?

Genuinely curious

Both have been excellent up until now. Doing what they had to do every game. Their link up play from the couple of games I saw on Eir and, of course, the highlights reel has been a joy to watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The state of the pitch in the Corofin/Brigids game

The grass is so high in places you cannot see the players boots.

Donal55 wrote: »
    The grass is so high in places you cannot see the players boots.

It makes my back garden look like a putting green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I had an idea they might beaten, which is why I asked you yesterday! didn't have a bet unfortunately :(

They were blessed to beat Judes in semi final and Ballymun were just useless in the final.

No trouble in camp but they have lots of miles on the clock. Someone was going to catch them and Rathnew are never easy beat, especially in Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

What age is Mossy now? Would it be fair to be critical of a club Vinnie's size and stature to be still "relying" on a player (albeit an absolute star for years) at the tail-end of his career?

Genuinely curious

Mossy is 36, but has put so much into the game at club and county level that he will doubt be walking like a 70 year old man by the time he is 40.:)

They've plenty of good players but not many play at county level (for Dublin).

The 4 Diamond brothers all play on the senior team, Ger Brennan still plays but he's not far beind Mossy age wise, and Mayo's Enda Varley plays with them also.

Still they've won 4 of the last 5 Dublin Championships (and 3 out of the last 5 leinsters) and it don't get tougher than that.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    I had an idea they might beaten, which is why I asked you yesterday! didn't have a bet unfortunately

With 10 mins to go and 1 point behind, Rathnew were 7/1 with PP. They suspended the market several times.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

With 10 mins to go and 1 point behind, Rathnew were 7/1 with PP. They suspended the market several times.

Was watching the betting and tempted to back them when they were a point up, but wasn't there so didn't take chance.

Vinnies have been great team for last ten years, but at end of line now. Had big bet on Ballymun in the final and thought on basis of previous games that they would win comfortably, but it was like they were all, other than McCarthy and Small, afflicted with stage fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Genuinely curious

In his last 4 games with St Vincents he scored only 1-5 (2fs) and a player of his quality should be scoring a lot more than that at club level. Well done to Rathnew story of the weekend that result will be interesting to see how far they can go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They only beat the Longford Champions by a point or 2 last year if memory serves?

It can happen, especially this time of the year. Most teams will be most vulnerable the following game after winning a County Final, see Corofin yesterday even

In his last 4 games with St Vincents he scored only 1-5 (2fs) and a player of his quality should be scoring a lot more than that at club level.

But sure maybe he created 4-10 and was fouled through on goal a few times!

The point is, judging on scoring return alone is madness.

Vinnies won an ultra competitive county championship, which is a fantastic achievement. It's a crap weekend, it's November, shocks can happen. They've still had a super year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

jr86 wrote: »
    They only beat the Longford Champions by a point or 2 last year if memory serves?

It can happen, especially this time of the year. Most teams will be most vulnerable the following game after winning a County Final, see Corofin yesterday even

Poor comparison. Corofin St Brigids Castlebar are the top 3 club sides in Connacht and all capable of beating each other on any given day. St Vincents were All Ireland contenders and were knocked out by a rank outsider which is a rare sight nowadays.

BTW St Vincents beat the Longford champions by 7 points last year.

• Advertisement

Poor comparison. Corofin St Brigids Castlebar are the top 3 club sides in Connacht and all capable of beating each other on any given day. St Vincents were All Ireland contenders and were knocked out by a rank outsider which is a rare sight nowadays.

BTW St Vincents beat the Longford champions by 7 points last year.

Brigids are far from the force of old and Corofin blitzed them last year. Anyhow it was hardly a direct comparison just an example of how levels can drop

I really wasn't arsed actually checking the exact score before my first post, but if you're going to be pedantic so be it, it would seem there was a point in it after 56 mins and Vincents got a goal after 59 mins ffs. I would imagine most people will get the point

Brigids are far from the force of old and Corofin blitzed them last year. Anyhow it was hardly a direct comparison just an example of how levels can drop

I really wasn't arsed actually checking the exact score before my first post, but if you're going to be pedantic so be it, it would seem there was a point in it after 56 mins and Vincents got a goal after 59 mins ffs. I would imagine most people will get the point
    Not so much pedantic but more helping you out as your memory didn't serve you right on this occasion ;)

That was a once off for Brigids they are rarely blitzed in any club game in Connacht and they were missing key defenders last year also. With their talent coming through its only a matter of time before they win another provincial title and challenge for the All Ireland again. Rathnew on the other hand will probably lose to Moorefield next

Longfords St Columbas are a decent well organized side and St Vincents won that game by a bit to spare in the end. Rathnew yesterday beat Vincents by more than they beat Newtown Blues of Louth in the last round. That is some drop in levels and a type of result that rarely happens.

Not so much pedantic but more helping you out as your memory didn't serve you right on this occasion ;)

Meh let's be honest you went and googled the exact result didn't you to score some virtual points for some reason

Saying a team won by "a point or two" is more a figure of speech than anything to indicate a close game

The overall point being that it's the second year in a row that Vincents had an unflattering performance in their first game out of Dublin. They got caught this year, as can happen in some circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's the draw for the All Ireland Senior Hurling semi finals ???

Meh let's be honest you went and googled the exact result didn't you to score some virtual points for some reason

Saying a team won by "a point or two" is more a figure of speech than anything to indicate a close game

The overall point being that it's the second year in a row that Vincents had an unflattering performance in their first game out of Dublin. They got caught this year, as can happen in some circumstances

Didn't have to google it, I follow club football championship closely and that game was only played last year not 10 years ago. Unflattering performances and still winning happens a lot just look at Castlebars last two wins in Connacht however All Ireland contender losing to a massive underdog is a rare sight.

Vinnies have been on the road for ten years now. Won 5 Dublins, 4 Leinsters and 2 All Irelands in that period. Backbone of team is still the same. they were always going to be caught some day. Thought Ballymun would have taken them in the Dublin final but they froze. Not surprised they were beaten yesterday. Great team. Owe nothing to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Vinnies have been on the road for ten years now. Won 5 Dublins, 4 Leinsters and 2 All Irelands in that period. Backbone of team is still the same. they were always going to be caught some day. Thought Ballymun would have taken them in the Dublin final but they froze. Not surprised they were beaten yesterday. Great team. Owe nothing to anybody.

Beaten by Rathnew of Wicklow and not surprised? come on now..

Beaten by Rathnew of Wicklow and not surprised? come on now..

I asked a Wicklow man here the day before if he thought Rathnew had a chance as I was thinking of having a bet on them. Its on this thread or another one. So no I wasn't surprised really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I asked a Wicklow man here the day before if he thought Rathnew had a chance as I was thinking of having a bet on them. Its on this thread or another one. So no I wasn't surprised really.

Tell them about Leighton Glynn...!!
    Many around here may not be old enough to have heard of him....;)

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Tell them about Leighton Glynn...!!
    Many around here may not be old enough to have heard of him....;)

I hope that is not an ageist remark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I hope that is not an ageist remark!

not in the slightest........

Only joking. He was a great player. Had I known he was playing yesterday, I might have taken that bet, but I didn't. They were something like 8/1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Rathnew are a strong team with great spirit and are never bet till the final whistle, which is bred into them.the bet a very fancied na finaina team a number of years ago in Leinster. They were well fancied in wicklow to win on a wet day in aughrim.
    Great for club football to see the weak counties getting stuck in and this is what the gaa is all about pride and passion in the jersey and club first, not listening about how mayo deserve an all ireland and Dublin too strong. Once the club is strong the gaa will thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Only joking. He was a great player. Had I known he was playing yesterday, I might have taken that bet, but I didn't. They were something like 8/1!

He is still a fine player with 20 county senior medals in hurling and football and played well in the Aussie rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Brutal stuff so far in Thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Watching Ballgunner v. Na Piarsaigh on TG4. Nice to see a Lady Umpire there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cavan Gaels and Derrygonally sounds incredible!

4-8 to 2-14 into injury time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Cavan Gaels and Derrygonally sounds incredible!

4-8 to 2-14 into injury time.

Cavan Gaels with a goal in the 36th min to win it, 5-7 to 2-15

The first Cavan team to make an Ulster final since 1995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

And it will be Gort v Liam Mellows in the Galway Senior Hurling Final on Dec. 9th
    Gort defeated Craughwell in the Semi-Final replay earlier today on a scoreline 1-17 to 1-15

Another great performance by Con O'Callaghan for Cuala. Finished with 1 - 5 and made the other goals directly. in fact was could have scored themselves. Martins turned a bit nasty once the match was out of sight and had two sent off.

Cuala play Galway winners I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Cuala have to play Killcormac/Killoughy (sp?) Offaly Champions don't they?

Galway automatically win the Connacht Champs I think.

:o They should beat them, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

The offaly county final was a great game. Very high quality so should really put it up to Cuala.

• Advertisement

gammygils wrote: »
    And it will be Gort v Liam Mellows in the Galway Senior Hurling Final on Dec. 9th
    Gort defeated Craughwell in the Semi-Final replay earlier today on a scoreline 1-17 to 1-15

December 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

threeball wrote: »
    The offaly county final was a great game. Very high quality so should really put it up to Cuala.
    They were really impressive yesterday too v Mount Leinster Rangers. Got off to a slow start and it was a tough hard hitting even game for about 20 mins. Was 0-6 to 0-5. Then K/K went down to 14 and just came to life.
    Outscored MLR by something like 2-15 to 5 after that.
    Will give Cuala a very good game i'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Are TG4 showing the Cavan Gaels v Slaughtneil game after the Corofin v Castlebar game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

tanko wrote: »
    Are TG4 showing the Cavan Gaels v Slaughtneil game after the Corofin v Castlebar game?

Nemo Rangers v Dr Crokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Nemo beat reigning champions Crokes to win Munster.
    Connacht final gone to extra time. Corofin allow castlebar back in from 4 down to draw. Corofin as they do go negative when ahead instead of continuing to play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement