Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

amtc wrote: »
    Oh and why did no one pick up that Sarah's usp was that the sweet box fit through the letterbox yet the ad depends on you being at home?

Same logic applies to James' idea that it depends on there actually being cybersecurity experts out there to satisfy his company's usp which there aren't actually that many of. That and the fact that they'd need to actually want to join his agency.

I reckon his business plan will be tweaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

With Karren, I always get the impression she is playing to the camera, especially her remarks in the boards. I never felt that about Margaret, Nick or Claude.
    Claude is the exact same though, so I'm not sure why you're just focusing on her. Either way, they've both got a role to play, so they both have to play up to it somewhat.

Yep, I've said it before in here but Karen is clearly just playing the role of a villain. Watch her doing any interviews on chat shows or whatever, she is very pleasant and warming. I read before she gets the tube to work every day, she's not as pompous or snobby as she makes out

It's TV at the end of the day, it's not 100% genuine
    a winner which defeats the purpose of the format

I've been thinking about this, but does it actually defeat the purpose? Sure it's a bit of a cop out but there's nothing stopping him handing out investments to anyone like there's nothing stopping Simon Cowell handing out record deals to X-factor rejects

Like anything on TV, there's probably a method behind all this. I'd highly doubt LS had sleepless nights tearing his hair out, mulling over which one to choose. Maybe the show might slowly take a more Dragon's Den like approach in the future. Either way it has people talking and no matter what he did he'd be criticised
    I reckon his business plan will be tweaked.

Since I heard it was IT recruitment in the interviews, I immediately thought it would go on to become a subsidiary of sorts of Ricky Martin's recruitment Business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

amtc wrote: »
    In the suitcases...how do they fit enough clothes in for 12 weeks?

Good question, amtc! What I wonder about is how, when the phone rings, they are all in bed, and even the one answering the phone looks drowsy. Then, suited and booted, perfectly quaffed and made up, they are in the taxis and heading for the venue to appear there twenty minutes later. Can all of that happen in twenty minutes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I don't think they actually use the little black cases, I'd say they are just props. They are all identical and yet when Elizabeth came out after being fired last week she immediately grabbed the one closest to her and headed off without a second glance.

They have hairdryers, hair straighteners and a multitude of outfits and shoes, there is no way they have everything (if anything) packed in those cases.

Re the suitcases - they're real alright. but they only have a change of clothes for one night, as they are put up in a hotel. Then the morning after when everyone else is out of the house they are brought back to collect everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

They shoot all the leaving by taxis scenes at the start. The scarf and jacket cover the clothes so you can't tell what they are wearing as it wouldn't be the same as the day they leave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The problem I have with the result is that it sets a precedent now that there can be more than one winner. This would have been fine for a final series but next year can he honestly say that he will invest in "only one of you".

Also love the irony of firing Michaela for having her hand in too many businesses before then himself investing in too many businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Might have been better if he'd invested a notional £250,001 in one contender so there'd at least have been the satisfaction of an official winner.

I didn't watch anyway, really don't like the final.

A normal task episode has various tension spots (selecting team captains & sub leaders, the relentless jockeying for credit & blame during the task, the task result, the blame game in the café, the selection by the losing project manager of who to bring back, the firing(s) by Suicre) which keep the episode flowing and interesting.

The Final misses out on nearly all these things.

Having watched the final episodes, I think I'd have chosen Sarah as the winner, even if her business did not seem to be as scaleable as James'. She comes across as very sound. I can't warm much to James. He seems like a "bit of a whipper-snapper". Excuse the term. :P

I think what influenced Lord Sugar in the end is he couldn't pass over an IT business - and , if he had done, there would nave been an outcry here. LOL!

The problem I have with the result is that it sets a precedent now that there can be more than one winner. This would have been fine for a final series but next year can he honestly say that he will invest in "only one of you".

That's why I think it has been done deliberately to make way for a tweak in format (even if only subtle next year)
    Also love the irony of firing Michaela for having her hand in too many businesses before then himself investing in too many businesses.

I think it's clear at this stage he just didn't like Michaela as a potential business partner, and used that as his get-out excuse. Throughout all the series' there's a plethora of inconsistencies with criticisms and rejections
    Might have been better if he'd invested a notional £250,001 in one contender so there'd at least have been the satisfaction of an official winner.

I didn't watch anyway, really don't like the final.

A normal task episode has various tension spots (selecting team captains & sub leaders, the relentless jockeying for credit & blame during the task, the task result, the blame game in the café, the selection by the losing project manager of who to bring back, the firing(s) by Suicre) which keep the episode flowing and interesting.

The Final misses out on nearly all these things.

100%

I've never warmed to the final as it is in it's current format

I also personally think it takes away from it that they bring back old contestants too. I think it'd be much more dramatic if it was just themselves working on their own. I know it's probably done for a 'happy family' effect for editing purposes and to humanise everything a bit more, but as it is it's just like an early task with too many cooks and all that, but without any drama and tension as you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I was out last night and managed to avoid the result on social media. Driving into work this morning it was announced on the radio with no spoiler alert. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

miamee wrote: »
    I don't think they actually use the little black cases, I'd say they are just props. They are all identical and yet when Elizabeth came out after being fired last week she immediately grabbed the one closest to her and headed off without a second glance.

They have hairdryers, hair straighteners and a multitude of outfits and shoes, there is no way they have everything (if anything) packed in those cases.

A little known fact... The contestants DO have all their belongings in those suitcases. They are actually big enough to carry everything the contestants bring in. The inventor of them used TARDIS technology and was the actual winner of series 1.*

*may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Having watched the final episodes, I think I'd have chosen Sarah as the winner, even if her business did not seem to be as scaleable as James'. She comes across as very sound. I can't warm much to James. He seems like a "bit of a whipper-snapper". Excuse the term. :P

I think what influenced Lord Sugar in the end is he couldn't pass over an IT business - and , if he had done, there would nave been an outcry here. LOL!

I think Lord Sugar will soon see in this business venture that James doesn't have much substance. In saying that I'm sure he'll be surrounded by those who will do the work for him anyway.

These were the two worse finalists I can recall and they both get hired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was out last night and managed to avoid the result on social media. Driving into work this morning it was announced on the radio with no spoiler alert. ��

Well, it's happened. I'd expect to hear it somewhere the day after, to be honest. If they wanted to discuss it, how could they realistically avoid mentioning the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, it's happened. I'd expect to hear it somewhere the day after, to be honest. If they wanted to discuss it, how could they realistically avoid mentioning the outcome?
    Ah usually they give a heads up the day after in case people haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

They've done it with other shows, announced that they are going to be talking about a show and warn people to turn the radio down if they don't want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Good question, amtc! What I wonder about is how, when the phone rings, they are all in bed, and even the one answering the phone looks drowsy. Then, suited and booted, perfectly quaffed and made up, they are in the taxis and heading for the venue to appear there twenty minutes later. Can all of that happen in twenty minutes?

Apparently, the taxi's 'arrive' in 20 minutes, but they don't leave in 20 minutes. Saw a previous contestant say that.

Apparently, the taxi's 'arrive' in 20 minutes, but they don't leave in 20 minutes. Saw a previous contestant say that.

That could answer someone else's question too: How come it's dark when they receive the pnone call and it's daylight when they arrive at the venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The phone scenes are not filed live, they are pre recorded by everybody in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The phone scenes are not filed live, they are pre recorded by everybody in the house.

Really? They look so tired in some of the shots. I did wonder why some of them had gelled hair getting out of bed.

• Advertisement

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

One thing about the final is that Elizabeth came across really, really well on it. She played a huge part in James winning it and Mikaela didn't come across as good as I thought she was.

That's not true
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/news/a39579/what-its-really-like-to-be-on-the-apprentice/

I read in another article that the finalists also spend a week working for Alan Sugar so he can get a sense of what they are like in the real world, who knows if that is true or if it still happens

With the amount of pressure theres seem to be there, it's a wonder some of them don't leave before the show ends.

With the amount of pressure theres seem to be there, it's a wonder some of them don't leave before the show ends.

Some have. Scott in 2015, Aleksandra in 2016, Adele in the first season.

Some have. Scott in 2015, Aleksandra in 2016, Adele in the first season.

I'd have expected a higher percentage of drop-outs. Seems about the same as, or even less than, I'm a Celeb GMOoH.

I didn't like when James started attacking Sarah in the boardroom. It showed a lack of class, IMO. She was focussing on talking about her own business but he seemed to have little to talk about so started lashing out at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

As others have said, a sh** end to a sh** season.
    James is just snakey, he bangs on about his achievements in a job he got fired from for trying to poach clients. I think I'd be keeping my mouth shut about that. Even his pitch was so cocky, not confident, cocky. Sarah did way better and her end product idea was actually unique.
    I didn't like that they brought back Siobhan as she is just a sh** stirrer and was the whole time she was in the process. It's unfair that you can end up with a dud team. Would be fairer to bring back all the fired candidates and then not all have to be selected. At least you could target skill sets that you need for the task.

pooch90 wrote: »
    James is just snakey, he bangs on about his achievements in a job he got fired from for trying to poach clients. I think I'd be keeping my mouth shut about that. Even his pitch was so cocky, not confident, cocky. Sarah did way better and her end product idea was actually unique.
    I didn't like that they brought back Siobhan as she is just a sh** stirrer and was the whole time she was in the process. It's unfair that you can end up with a dud team. Would be fairer to bring back all the fired candidates and then not all have to be selected. At least you could target skill sets that you need for the task.

They did that in the first series and it was honestly a bit awkward. I think no former candidate would put themselves forward now if they might not get picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

They did that in the first series and it was honestly a bit awkward. I think no former candidate would put themselves forward now if they might not get picked.

Did they? Sorry, either didn't watch that far back or don't remember! Could it be part of T&Cs? Isn't going on You're Fired part of contract?

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »

Indeed, there's just something very insincere about him, i wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him

Sarah in fairness came across as genuinely nice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement