Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice UK 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think Siobhan was a bit surprised that the other women were answering her back and not backing down from the argument with her, I'd say she is well used to just talking over people. She just appears like a trouble maker rather than any kind of asset to the team. The constant squabbling was an embarrassment though.

Elliot definitely deserved to go, he's been a bit wishy washy through all of the tasks so far.

I still love Elizabeth and I agree that her question about the robot was a valid one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Siobhan is a bully - plain and simple. She is obnoxious and should be fired from the show/ At least the others have cottoned on to it now.

The question re further development of the balancing robot was perfectly valid. I would have asked the same thing and yet Siobhan jumped down that girls throat.
    Despicable

Absolutely. It was great to see the others stand up to her, and defend Elizabeth (who's a bit ditzy, but not a bully.)

I thought Michaela managed her team well on a personal basis but changing the name as she did and mucking up the board were huge mistakes. She did more wrong than Elliot but she does seem to have more potential.

And I have no idea how the women's team won that episode given how awful their pitch and demonstration was. it must be that the retailers saw no profit in targeting the elderly with robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Absolutely. It was great to see the others stand up to her, and defend Elizabeth (who's a bit ditzy, but not a bully.)

I thought Michaela managed her team well on a personal basis but changing the name as she did and mucking up the board were huge mistakes. She did more wrong than Elliot but she does seem to have more potential.

And I have no idea how the women's team won that episode given how awful their pitch and demonstration was. it must be that the retailers saw no profit in targeting the elderly with robots.

That’s what it came down to, I reckon. Plus, don’t forget, the girls’ second pitch with Maplin went quite well and that’s where the biggest order came from. Their decent second pitch seems to have been forgotten a bit.

I couldn’t figure out who would buy that OAP robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

One thing about the early episodes, the edit can be quite misleading, so it's always difficult to identify early contenders/stronger & weaker contestants

Alana and Mark Wright in recent years were invisible in early weeks. I remember Gary Poulton a few years ago - he barely featured on anyone's radar until about week 8, but he was brought into the boardroom one episode and every contestant actually seemed visibly shocked he could be potentially eliminated!

Roisin Hogan (actually met her at an event a few weeks back) was built up to be the clear front-runner from the edit in her series but then was torn apart in interviews

jr86 wrote: »
    Alana and Mark Wright in recent years were invisible in early weeks. I remember Gary Poulton a few years ago - he barely featured on anyone's radar until about week 8, but he was brought into the boardroom one episode and every contestant actually seemed visibly shocked he could be potentially eliminated!

No way, Alana stood out very early on for me.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    No way, Alana stood out very early on for me.

That wasn't the common consensus

She improved as the series went on but was never mentioned as a front-runner or even a potential interviewee until Lord Sugar infamously followed her on twitter

The likes of Jessica, Frances, Paul, Grainne and Sofiane got the prominent (good & bad) early edits last series

That wasn't the common consensus

She improved as the series went on but was never mentioned as a front-runner or even a potential interviewee until Lord Sugar infamously followed her on twitter

The likes of Jessica, Frances, Paul, Grainne and Sofiane got the prominent (good & bad) early edits last series

Well, hubs and I went against the consensus then. ;)

And by episode 7, the boat show one, she distinguished herself. She also did well in the department store episode which was earlier than that even, I think. But there were rumblings early on too.

She certainly stuck her head above the parapet long before her fellow finalist, Courtney.

Episode 7 is well over halfway through the series in fairness! I was more commenting on the early 4/5 or so episodes, where there's always a few candidates who are pushed more towards the audience, amongst all the deadwood.

It's when the double eliminations start and the deadwood starts to clear that you actually get a proper grasp of everyone.

I think Joseph the series before was an example of Sugar more veering towards the old system and picking a candidate on competency, workrate, persoanlity and so on. I recall Joseph being pushed at us from a very early stage. Funnily enough, they're no longer Business partners.

I don't think Mark Wright and Alana would have won in the old system but last year was a very poor standard. Too many fame whores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SteM

How do people remember the past contestants from these types of shows? Most of them are instantly forgettable imo!

Anyway, this weeks show which I only watched last night....

The right person went but Michaela dodged a bullet. She said in the boardroom that she was not a confidend person but that is BS. In fact, she felt that she'd ****ed up the teams chances of selling the robot and that's why she didn't go onto that subteam. She knew that it'd be much easier to sell a boat load of the balancebots than go into pitches and try to sell the high priced item.

The team pitching the robot were behind the 8 ball from the start, they were asking companies to take a chance on their expensive product when they couldn't even produce a piece price of card without a grammatical mistake. It was farcical of Sugar to suggest that the sign had nothing to do with them potentiall losing custom when it's the first thing the buyer from the first store pointed out.

Also, the PM had the final say on the fact that it was marketed to over-65s. What a bad move, it had me shouting at the TV. Don't know what next week's task is but if this show doesn't pick up soon I'll be dropping it (although I seem to say that every series).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Something that wasn't mentioned really was the price point too - the men were trying to sell their robot for trade price of £430 I think (over 400 anyway) while the women were selling the exact same robot with a different programme for £40 something. I should really be referring to the team names at this stage now they have begun to mix the sexes but the team names are always nonsensical and forgettable imo.

• Advertisement

Episode 7 is well over halfway through the series in fairness! I was more commenting on the early 4/5 or so episodes, where there's always a few candidates who are pushed more towards the audience, amongst all the deadwood.

It's when the double eliminations start and the deadwood starts to clear that you actually get a proper grasp of everyone.

I think Joseph the series before was an example of Sugar more veering towards the old system and picking a candidate on competency, workrate, persoanlity and so on. I recall Joseph being pushed at us from a very early stage. Funnily enough, they're no longer Business partners.

I don't think Mark Wright and Alana would have won in the old system but last year was a very poor standard. Too many fame whores

And like I said, I noticed her long before episode 7. I frequent a more dedicated Apprentice forum where I was far from the only one. Looking back on last year, I can see mine and other’s comments on her. She was flagged as a strong contestant by a good few contributors there early on. Just because you didn’t notice her doesn’t mean other didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

miamee wrote: »
    Something that wasn't mentioned really was the price point too - the men were trying to sell their robot for trade price of £430 I think (over 400 anyway) while the women were selling the exact same robot with a different programme for £40 something. I should really be referring to the team names at this stage now they have begun to mix the sexes but the team names are always nonsensical and forgettable imo.

I don't know if the price of the girls fancy robot was mentioned in the episode. I think the £40 was for the flying robot.

I was shocked when the prices of the guys robot was mentioned as being in excess of £400 and I thought to myself that nobody is going to pay that for what is effectively a toy.

Looking at the final figures and the fact that the girls got around 50K worth of orders for 115 units it would appear that their robot was over the £400 mark too.

Is it just me or does that seem like a stupid amount of money for something that is pretty much useless?

Oh really? I must have missed that then or confused the two robots as you said (their flying robot and the other). The mens £400 price was the trade price with a retail at over £700, I nearly choked when they said that!

It does seem like a shocking amount of money for a not very useful robot but I could certainly see parents parting with that cash for an educational fun toyfor their kids more quickly than the over 60 target market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Some people have more money than cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There are some candidates who you love to hate. Stuart Baggs was probably the best example of that.
    Siobhan is just a head wrecker though. I really hope she'll be gone whenever she finds herself on the loosing team.

There are some candidates who you love to hate. Stuart Baggs was probably the best example of that.
    Siobhan is just a head wrecker though. I really hope she'll be gone whenever she finds herself on the loosing team.

The next time the girls are on the loosing side I expect(and hope) to see Siobhan gone. If the Apprentice was like the weakest link, she'd be long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Am only catching up on some of the earlier shows, such as the hotel room makeover and the robots theme. These candidates are so full of themselves but yet so pathetic. The mistakes they have made and their constant bickering, are painful to watch. Lord Sugar's tortured expression in the Boardroom says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Am only catching up on some of the earlier shows, such as the hotel room makeover and the robots theme. These candidates are so full of themselves but yet so pathetic. The mistakes they have made and their constant bickering, are painful to watch. Lord Sugar's tortured expression in the Boardroom says it all.

It keeps most viewers interested, alas. :o :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks like the girls are hanging Siobhan out to dry this week.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Looks like the girls are hanging Siobhan out to dry this week.

I came here to post exactly that.

• Advertisement

I'm a few minutes behind (the VIPs have just arrived), but this looks like a disaster on both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Joanne has got to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »
    Joanne has got to go!

Or maybe not,wrong call IMO.

Liz should be gone too but of course she's too much entertainment value to go.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Liz should be gone too but of course she's too much entertainment value to go.

Disagree, she at least gets stuck in and was right on the money in putting Jade selling. She did a lot more than many others on the team. I think she did well managing the client’s expectations after the other two ninnies promising them the world. She shouldn’t have even been brought back to the boardroom.

Can’t believe the lads got no complaints! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

That was awkward at the end between Siobhan and Elizabeth :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They showing the men half naked a lot and in the shower? WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lonestar1

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Me first:rolleyes:

Also, Joanna is a moany liar. She’ll get found out though, they always do.

Siobhán actually came across well tonight and apart from Bushra’s terrible speech, the team did well. Nice food, plenty of booze, a more welcoming atmosphere than the other team. IMO, you could tell she had experience in event-planning.

Sugar annoyed Huz and me tonight. He contradicts himself so much. If the boys had lost, he’d have been admonishing them for their inferior function. But because they won, all of sudden being stingy is fine.

The tasks never consider hypothetical repeat custom. Siobhán’s team would be much more likely to be hired again, I reckon. And Siobhán did overspend on wine but not by a huge degree. For a one-off task, it’s hard to gauge. Actual catering companies wouldn’t have to worry about leftover bottles; they’d be able to use them at other functions. These are business tasks but there is so much that they disregard.

Harrison, bless him, was game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

IvySlayer wrote: »

What was that comment some one of the women's team made about the rugby players and cuddles? Imagine a man said that about a woman's sport team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement