Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee February 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

I'm in the reserve stream slightly different sept 2016

Well hopefully for you the waiting game is not too long winded. You obviously enjoy the work if you want to make it your permanent job. Cheers for the info in your last posts, every bit of extra insight helps with the sanity of the folks here.

And as an added everybody from Sept 16 when the offers are coming out do spare a thought for those from Jan 16 or earlier. I have been in similar shoes to them before and it does get pretty wearing after that length of time.

Sine Timore Aut Faveo,

Mutter Nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

mutter_man wrote: »
    Well hopefully for you the waiting game is not too long winded. You obviously enjoy the work if you want to make it your permanent job. Cheers for the info in your last posts, every bit of extra insight helps with the sanity of the folks here.

And as an added everybody from Sept 16 when the offers are coming out do spare a thought for those from Jan 16 or earlier. I have been in similar shoes to them before and it does get pretty wearing after that length of time.

Sine Timore Aut Faveo,

Mutter Nutter
    Yeah I've been through this vetting before with prison service it takes an age of you have people abroad even longer I did all this vetting before when I joined the reserve and still has to do it again even tho I'm serving its just how it is surely anybody from jan that's still outstanding had an issue with vetting or passing pct or medical ? People I know are training since November up as far as mid 400s

Yeah I've been through this vetting before with prison service it takes an age of you have people abroad even longer I did all this vetting before when I joined the reserve and still has to do it again even tho I'm serving its just how it is surely anybody from jan that's still outstanding had an issue with vetting or passing pct or medical ? People I know are training since November up as far as mid 400s

Oh the vetting game is not new to me, I've been there before, and I had a feeling you were going to say that about you having to be vetted again. A comment I heard from a well placed friend was, "You could have done 10 years in the defence forces and spent 5 in the most sensitive part of directorate of intelligence, and they'd still vet you from scatch". It's all part of the game so I'm just sitting back and taking it fairly easy.

Some would be PCT delays etc but I do believe there are a few waiting vetting to clear. The number of potential causes including good old fashioned human error and bad luck are vast. My oom from Sept is such that as soon as I get cleared I should be ok for the next intake.... should be :D

Sine Timore Aut Faveo

Oh the vetting game is not new to me, I've been there before, and I had a feeling you were going to say that about you having to be vetted again. A comment I heard from a well placed friend was, "You could have done 10 years in the defence forces and spent 5 in the most sensitive part of directorate of intelligence, and they'd still vet you from scatch". It's all part of the game so I'm just sitting back and taking it fairly easy.

Some would be PCT delays etc but I do believe there are a few waiting vetting to clear. The number of potential causes including good old fashioned human error and bad luck are vast. My oom from Sept is such that as soon as I get cleared I should be ok for the next intake.... should be :D

Sine Timore Aut Faveo

Is your vetting ready for checking or outstanding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

I'm in the reserve stream slightly different sept 2016

Iv sent you a PM there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SinWin

Hi

If you get called in do you have to pay for your own uniforms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

SinWin wrote: »
    Hi

If you get called in do you have to pay for your own uniforms?

Just the tracksuit I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KK_Red Devil

Hi guys. Been keeping an eye on this thread a while but just need to ask a few questions.

I'm from the Sept 16 campaign, oom of low 400s. Passed my interview back in jan, met my sergeant in march, passed pct in sept and met my super about 2 weeks ago. he was very happy with my application and said that he was recommending me. Called appointments today to see how my application was going when i was told that they are still waiting on vetting to come back. I asked was the vetting from the garda station not sent up yet but was told that there is still other vetting outstanding.

Can anyone give me advice on this?

Also for anybody wondering, the next intake starts on the 29th of January

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twoblub

Also for anybody wondering, the next intake starts on the 29th of January

Is that induction week or the actual start date of the intake? Is that what you were told when you rang?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 CAJJ

Hi guys. Been keeping an eye on this thread a while but just need to ask a few questions.

I'm from the Sept 16 campaign, oom of low 400s. Passed my interview back in jan, met my sergeant in march, passed pct in sept and met my super about 2 weeks ago. he was very happy with my application and said that he was recommending me. Called appointments today to see how my application was going when i was told that they are still waiting on vetting to come back. I asked was the vetting from the garda station not sent up yet but was told that there is still other vetting outstanding.

Can anyone give me advice on this?

Was/still in similar place. Absolutely everything done in August. Station sent the vetting back first week on September but it only got completed about two weeks ago. You could be lucky and the vetting will be cleared in the next couple of weeks or you could be waiting two months like I was. There really is no consistency.

twoblub wrote: »
    Is that induction week or the actual start date of the intake? Is that what you were told when you rang?
    not sure. just a relative who is an instructor in the college told me this.

CAJJ wrote: »
    Was/still in similar place. Absolutely everything done in August. Station sent the vetting back first week on September but it only got completed about two weeks ago. You could be lucky and the vetting will be cleared in the next couple of weeks or you could be waiting two months like I was. There really is no consistency.
    its highly frustrating. Is it up to the station to send the vetting forms back to HQ? My hope of getting called in the next intake diminishes each day

Is your vetting ready for checking or outstanding ?

Far as I know still outstanding although was good few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CAJJ

its highly frustrating. Is it up to the station to send the vetting forms back to HQ? My hope of getting called in the next intake diminishes each day

The Sargent that I meet in the station emailed me directly to say she was finalizing everything and was sending it to HQ the following morning.

It is very frustrating but I have said it plenty of times on here. Patience is very important. In the recruitment process and if/when you are on the job. The hard part is over so its just the waiting game

The vetting that comes down to your local super is only one section of the vetting all other stuff goes of to the crime and security section and they are really busy if you want to work as a bin man now you have to be Garda vetted so that's what takes time and if you put foreign addresses on the form they have to Lias with there counterparts abroad so it does take time to get your full file back lads

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Eoin2486

Anyone any idea when the offers will be out for February?
    Next couple of weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Chrisbellew

Eoin2486 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when the offers will be out for February?
    Next couple of weeks?

It would have to be before Christmas if last years times are anything to go by, next 2 weeks or so is my reckoning

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Clono

I rang hrm two weeks ago they told me offers will be end of December or start of January. But wouldn't be completely dependent on that they said something similar about the last intake and the offers came out the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Hi guys hoping someone could help me just curious and I know everyone is different but roughly how long would you be waiting for an offer after having completed your pct pending you’ve met sergent and super already?Is it correct saying your file doesn’t start to be reviewed /vetting completed until you have that passed ? Has anyone ever heard of somebody passing there pct and getting an offer 2/3 weeks later ? Or would it be a few months at the very least.

• Advertisement

Hi guys hoping someone could help me just curious and I know everyone is different but roughly how long would you be waiting for an offer after having completed your pct pending you’ve met sergent and super already?Is it correct saying your file doesn’t start to be reviewed /vetting completed until you have that passed ? Has anyone ever heard of somebody passing there pct and getting an offer 2/3 weeks later ? Or would it be a few months at the very least.

I wouldn't like to declare beyond all certainty but with the work and all that vetting can involve I doubt it. My understanding is that vetting begins when you are medical certified. They do fairly in depth vetting and often depends on others answering them promptly into the mix. Shortest I've ever known it to take was 3 months. But i like said nothing is exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I wouldn't like to declare beyond all certainty but with the work and all that vetting can involve I doubt it. My understanding is that vetting begins when you are medical certified. They do fairly in depth vetting and often depends on others answering them promptly into the mix. Shortest I've ever known it to take was 3 months. But i like said nothing is exact.

Do they look for character references or just to confirm you worked in a certain place is correct when they ring all your past employers?

leestone wrote: »
    Do they look for character references or just to confirm you worked in a certain place is correct when they ring all your past employers?

Honestly I don't know. I'm sure if they take the time to contact a past or current employer there is a chance they might ask about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Marck

If you take it that January's intake is let's say the 29th that means the two induction weeks should be the 15th of Jan and 22nd of January.
    In order to allow 4/5 weeks notice offers should really be out today/early next week...

Fingers crossed !!! It's been a long wait !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Or the first induction week is the 29th, second is the 5th, start on the 12th?

Either way - SOON!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Morgan09

Was in touch with hr they said offers are out towards the end of next week,my file is yet to be signed off so guess it's a bit longer of a wait,best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jimmibar

Morgan09 wrote: »
    Was in touch with hr they said offers are out towards the end of next week,my file is yet to be signed off so guess it's a bit longer of a wait,best of luck to everyone
    Hi is your file to be signed off by the super ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Morgan09

Jimmibar wrote: »
    Hi is your file to be signed off by the super ?

Just said senior management

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iCiaranS

Morgan09 wrote: »

I don’t recall seeing anyone on here say they’re signed off lad bar maybe one or two, keep positive it’s still a good week away, a lot can be done before then and hopefully we all get the email we’re hoping and praying for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Chrisbellew

Not to worry lads plenty of time, my guess is they'll bulk sign off forms this week and next

Advertisement