Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee February 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Oh I've an aunt in Australia that could slow it down :( .. hopefully I can sort it all soon. Are you praying for February or are you easy either way on what you get? ..
    does anyone here know about going from one public service job to another? And what way it works?

Well the sooner the better really for a start in Templemore as everyone is thinking like this I would assume. But to be fair, it's only fair the people before us from previous campaigns and lower OOMs should get a start date before us. But, that said that isn't always the case unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Well the sooner the better really for a start in Templemore as everyone is thinking like this I would assume. But to be fair, it's only fair the people before us from previous campaigns and lower OOMs should get a start date before us. But, that said that isn't always the case unfortunately.

Appreciated but your quite right. Some people are so easy to vet they are ready in no time to be invited. So while others have a far better oom they could be several intakes behind. Best of luck and hopefully we all see movement in our favour soon. Between 100 and 200 for me from September.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

mutter_man wrote: »
    Beat of luck and hopefully we all see movement in our favour soon. Between 100 and 200 for me from September.

Thanks, you likewise. We live and hope:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paddyp123

So passed fitness test on Saturday.. all done now just waiting for the next intake.Hopefully will be February..i might give HRM a call next month on the vetting. Would be a much easier wait if i knew it was a 100%... oom low 800's Sep 16

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Timahoe24

I was on the November thread intake but looks like it's going be already Feb...Im signed off with an oom of 570 from Sept 16 campaign...really loosing hope at this stage...Really put a lot on hold and off for this..It's ridiculous there is on set times etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 alanmacklin

Timahoe24 wrote: »
    I was on the November thread intake but looks like it's going be already Feb...Im signed off with an oom of 570 from Sept 16 campaign...really loosing hope at this stage...Really put a lot on hold and off for this..It's ridiculous there is on set times etc.

ive an oom of just under 400 from september 16 and ive lost hope. February it is hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Timahoe24

Yeah my thinking...The old campaigns are really stopping us..just a pity would been nice to be in before xmas

Yeah my thinking...The old campaigns are really stopping us..just a pity would been nice to be in before xmas

I'm not trying to be harsh but folks spare a thought for those from previous campaigns. They are only in the way because they are waiting on vetting. They still have that hanging over they're head as do people with significantly higher OOM's from the September campaign. To be signed off and just waiting on the word is something a large number of people would be over the moon to be able to say. There are people who have waited 2 years just for vetting to clear.

Post tenebris lux

Mutter Nutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

I'm not trying to be harsh but folks spare a thought for those from previous campaigns. They are only in the way because they are waiting on vetting. They still have that hanging over they're head as do people with significantly higher OOM's from the September campaign. To be signed off and just waiting on the word is something a large number of people would be over the moon to be able to say. There are people who have waited 2 years just for vetting to clear.

Post tenebris lux

Mutter Nutter
    WORD

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Macs85

Hey guys first time to post but followed alot of threads. Found just reading and talking was good to know everyone was in the same boat. I have an oom of mid 500's last i heard i was waiting to be signed off but im surprised as i have family abroad and up north so vetting can be slow. Im eager to start in feb but am happy to wait. The way i see it i have waited my whole life (cheesy i know) but true. Nothing is ever 100% till you get a letter or e mail.

Use your time wisely maybe is the advice i can offer train yourself in the gym and maybe brush up on the basics of irish and best ways to study make the transition easy.

To all waiting with me from sep 16 its exciting times lets hope for an email at xmas 😊💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Macs85 wrote: »
    Hey guys first time to post but followed alot of threads. Found just reading and talking was good to know everyone was in the same boat. I have an oom of mid 500's last i heard i was waiting to be signed off but im surprised as i have family abroad and up north so vetting can be slow. Im eager to start in feb but am happy to wait. The way i see it i have waited my whole life (cheesy i know) but true. Nothing is ever 100% till you get a letter or e mail.

Use your time wisely maybe is the advice i can offer train yourself in the gym and maybe brush up on the basics of irish and best ways to study make the transition easy.

To all waiting with me from sep 16 its exciting times lets hope for an email at xmas 😊💪

I'm just wondering would applying at 18/19 years old be ok? I'm currently in 6th year and have always wanted to be a Garda! I was planning on joining the airport police for a year or two before applying or traveling around Europe. Most of my family members were/ are currently Gardaí so they will be able to help me. But am worried I'll be too young at 18/19.

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would applying at 18/19 years old be ok? I'm currently in 6th year and have always wanted to be a Garda! I was planning on joining the airport police for a year or two before applying or traveling around Europe. Most of my family members were/ are currently Gardaí so they will be able to help me. But am worried I'll be too young at 18/19.

I posted on another thread this is all new at the moment lol like me i had to prove i could i teract with younger people in templemore that question was asked. Remember its a serious job only you know yourself how mature you are age is only a number. However for me def not mature enough even though i was obsessed with joining i know now i wasnt mature enough.

Get the travel bug out of your system too. And i added things to my cv like first aid training and heaps of volunteering work, self defence classes for me on paper i looked good so build up that too.

Best of luck you have time on your hands :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Some Gardai often regret not doing more travelling before settling down in the job! Each to their own I guess

Note it takes considerable time from the time you apply till the time you walk into templemore. Lengthy process can take 2 years! Bare that in mind man! You prob seen that in the thread :)

Good luck whatever you settle on, plenty of years to play with

I posted on another thread this is all new at the moment lol like me i had to prove i could i teract with younger people in templemore that question was asked. Remember its a serious job only you know yourself how mature you are age is only a number. However for me def not mature enough even though i was obsessed with joining i know now i wasnt mature enough.

Get the travel bug out of your system too. And i added things to my cv like first aid training and heaps of volunteering work, self defence classes for me on paper i looked good so build up that too.

Best of luck you have time on your hands :)

Thanks for the help! It has put my mind at ease now knowing it is possible to get in at a young age, I was just telling another lad who was helping me out that I was told numerous times it's impossible to get in if your under 25 but he said it's not at all. He got in at 19.

Thanks again. :)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Some Gardai often regret not doing more travelling before settling down in the job! Each to their own I guess

Note it takes considerable time from the time you apply till the time you walk into templemore. Lengthy process can take 2 years! Bare that in mind man! You prob seen that in the thread :)

Good luck whatever you settle on, plenty of years to play with

Thanks! I actually didn't see that it could take up to two years before getting to templemore. At least now I know and I'll bare that in mind when I finish school. I'm definitely considering travelling to the UK, France and Germany before applying.

Thanks again :)

guys anyone ANY info on what physical training would be like up to date stuff if possible i am waiting for my offer so would like to train while I'm waiting. I am aware that the bleep test is done again 3 times while in temple more and twice while at a station but is it only the bleep test or the whole fitness test again??? any other tips on what type of trainig would be great....as you can tell i like to prepare and work on my weak spots :)

See pm and other thread, but as part both, of course, go for the garda at 18/19 if it's what you want. And it seems like you really want it so go for it. And if you want to travel, broaden horizons, develop more skills etc that is certainly no bad thing. And is bound to be good fun into the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Anyone here know anything about when you get the starting date how does one go about transferring from the army and what is the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr.cool212

An article about recruiting a 1000 gardai in 2018 possibly? https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-07-11a.783. Good news if so 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6 damo2002

Hi All,

Ive a quick question, ive passed both my medical and physical test but have yet to meet my local inspector.

Is anyone else in the same situation as Im fearing that this will delay getting in for Feb 2018

• Advertisement

damo2002 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Ive a quick question, ive passed both my medical and physical test but have yet to meet my local inspector.

Is anyone else in the same situation as Im fearing that this will delay getting in for Feb 2018

I would maybe contact your locally station give them a "gentle" reminder lol from what i have seen it seems to vary i met my sgt very fast but was waiting months for an interview with the super.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AF2017

Hi I am new to this said I better set up a page. I am from the sept 16 campaign and passed everything two weeks so I’d say it’ll be feb for me too as I had no hope last week with an offer. The waiting game is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

Mr.cool212 wrote: »
    An article about recruiting a 1000 gardai in 2018 possibly? https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-07-11a.783. Good news if so ��

That was a hypothetical question regarding the cost of 1000 Gardai to be recruited at once starting on 1/1/2018.

Recently there appears to be 200 per intake every few months, and it appears the aim is at leat 800 per year. As per this official records from 12 July 2017,
    So far this year [2017], there have been two intakes to the Garda College of two hundred trainees in February and May with a further two intakes of 200 planned for August and November giving a total intake of 800. It is expected that the planned schedule of intakes will continue into 2018.

The government want 15,000 full time Gardai by 2021 so the college is going to keep taking in as many as they can hold...
    Taking account of projected retirements, reaching a strength of 15,000 by 2021 will require some 2,400 new Garda members to be recruited on a phased basis over the next three years in addition to the 2,000 that will have been recruited by the end of this year since the re-opening of the Garda College in September 2014.
    Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone else in their 30's waiting for Feb? 33 now, pushing 34 come September...hope I don't feel like a grandad in Templemore when the time comes :(

guys anyone ANY info on what physical training would be like up to date stuff if possible i am waiting for my offer so would like to train while I'm waiting. I am aware that the bleep test is done again 3 times while in temple more and twice while at a station but is it only the bleep test or the whole fitness test again??? any other tips on what type of trainig would be great....as you can tell i like to prepare and work on my weak spots :)

wherebouts you from? i have a pitch at D6 if that's any help

weadick wrote: »
    Anyone else in their 30's waiting for Feb? 33 now, pushing 34 come September...hope I don't feel like a grandad in Templemore when the time comes :(

30 this year XD

weadick wrote: »

Hitting 32 in a few months. Came in handy at the fitness test though haha.

paddyp123 wrote: »
    Hitting 32 in a few months. Came in handy at the fitness test though haha.

Yeah I got old man rights on the requirements as well at the PCT. I still ran the f*&^ out of myself at the circuit bit though and threw all my weight against the push pull. :P

Yeah I got old man rights on the requirements as well at the PCT. I still ran the f*&^ out of myself at the circuit bit though and threw all my weight against the push pull. :P

Yeah same here. I stopped the beep test at 8.5 would have got 8.9 just thought sure might as well take advantage of been an old man,haha. What oom are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

paddyp123 wrote: »
    Yeah same here. I stopped the beep test at 8.5 would have got 8.9 just thought sure might as well take advantage of been an old man,haha. What oom are you?

Plenty of us so. Hitting 33 come paddies weekend. Ya the 8.1 was a handy number alright :-) hopefully be up there soon.
    Seems there was deferrals and few offers thrown out today. Nice suprise

Advertisement