Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee February 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ivandrago2008

weadick wrote: »
    Anyone else in their 30's waiting for Feb? 33 now, pushing 34 come September...hope I don't feel like a grandad in Templemore when the time comes :(

Don't worry you're not alone. I'm a year older than you

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Macs85

ArifI wrote: »
    wherebouts you from? i have a pitch at D6 if that's any help

im in kilkenny i have passed my fitness so waiting for my offer but would like to keep fitness up so trying to get info on the fitness aspect of training and what to expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Macs85

yeah I'm 32 this year so hoping for a few older heads to balance everything out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

paddyp123 wrote: »
    Yeah same here. I stopped the beep test at 8.5 would have got 8.9 just thought sure might as well take advantage of been an old man,haha. What oom are you?

Well why not, no sense in overdoing it and putting one's hip out :P. under 200 for me
    Macs85 wrote: »
    yeah I'm 32 this year so hoping for a few older heads to balance everything out lol

A good mix, and maybe we can get them young uns to stop skate boarding on the side walk (I know thats very American, it's a quote for anyone nerdy enough to get it)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note:

Thank you to those who reported the post from "load1234". It has been deleted and the user infracted for trolling.

-Shield.

• Advertisement

Mr.cool212 wrote: »
    An article about recruiting a 1000 gardai in 2018 possibly? https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-07-11a.783. Good news if so ��

Already covered but on the whoele I don't think any of us need to worry too much. Keep our heads and trust there will be regular intakes for the next while. No bad thing to look out for government chatter on the subject thought, cheers.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

Anyone kindly give me questions/answers that the superindent will ask.
    I've the 'chat' in next couple of days - I've no idea what he'll ask

JC43 wrote: »
    Anyone kindly give me questions/answers that the superindent will ask.
    I've the 'chat' in next couple of days - I've no idea what he'll ask

If you've any skeletons they will potentially/very likely come up. If your family does he might ask about them. That's not a bad thing, better for the ground to be covered. If there are information gaps on your form b due to you not being able to get the info for whatever reason he could ask after that. Most tend to just be a general chat to sound you out, maybe ask a bit of what you know about AGS, offer you the chance to ask questions if you have any. And I get the impression that it varies district to district just what approach the officer takes.

Suited and booted and whatever your asked answer from the heart. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear, be genuine and honest. I couldn't speak higher of the officer I met. If he or she is a bit tough on you don't get flustered and just treat it as a challenging interview. They may just be seeing how you react to a little pressure. If that is too vague an answer say so

mutter_man wrote: »
    If you've any skeletons they will potentially/very likely come up. If your family does he might ask about them. That's not a bad thing, better for the ground to be covered. If there are information gaps on your form b due to you not being able to get the info for whatever reason he could ask after that. Most tend to just be a general chat to sound you out, maybe ask a bit of what you know about AGS, offer you the chance to ask questions if you have any. And I get the impression that it varies district to district just what approach the officer takes.

Suited and booted and whatever your asked answer from the heart. Don't tell them what you think they want to hear, be genuine and honest. I couldn't speak higher of the officer I met. If he or she is a bit tough on you don't get flustered and just treat it as a challenging interview. They may just be seeing how you react to a little pressure. If that is too vague an answer say so

That's great. Very informative. Thanks mutterman

JC43 wrote: »
    That's great. Very informative. Thanks mutterman

No problem at all ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 DuffsC

Hi guys,

I'll stop here for now hoping I'll make Feb but with a oom in the 800's from September 16 could I be waiting even longer?? I have all stages complete but unsure how my vetting is as I haven't checked..

DuffsC wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'll stop here for now hoping I'll make Feb but with a oom in the 800's from September 16 could I be waiting even longer?? I have all stages complete but unsure how my vetting is as I haven't checked..

Typically although not in every case vetting stats shortly after you pass your medical and very very rarely takes less than 4 months. The more family, the more places you've lived, the more vague the info your able to provide them the liner it can take. If you or family have a history then they actively look to disprovethe negative which can take time or be quick depending on the complexity. You or family or partner family living abroad can cause delays.

Some jurisdictions are good and reply promptly whilst others including some you might elect to be swift and professional, are nothing short of lazy and incompetent = delays. Please don't take this ad doom and gloom, I just want to outlay how varied vetting can be. If yours started long enough ago and is done others being held up could see you in, in February but if not you may be waiting a little longer.

Post Tenebris Lux

Mutter Nutter

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Weejohnny

Typically although not in every case vetting stats shortly after you pass your medical and very very rarely takes less than 4 months. The more family, the more places you've lived, the more vague the info your able to provide them the liner it can take. If you or family have a history then they actively look to disprovethe negative which can take time or be quick depending on the complexity. You or family or partner family living abroad can cause delays.

Some jurisdictions are good and reply promptly whilst others including some you might elect to be swift and professional, are nothing short of lazy and incompetent = delays. Please don't take this ad doom and gloom, I just want to outlay how varied vetting can be. If yours started long enough ago and is done others being held up could see you in, in February but if not you may be waiting a little longer.

Post Tenebris Lux

Mutter Nutter

Would that be why some people in these threads seem to be hanging for ages or is it to do with their oom? Could it take less than 4 mths if everyone on your list lives in country, no one ever lived abroad, no criminal history. Really strange families but they all live around and majority would be under the same garda station!!

Weejohnny wrote: »
    Would that be why some people in these threads seem to be hanging for ages or is it to do with their oom? Could it take less than 4 mths if everyone on your list lives in country, no one ever lived abroad, no criminal history. Really strange families but they all live around and majority would be under the same garda station!!

If you've a high number oom you can end up waiting a while of course if people in front of you are getting signed off in good order. I would surmise the delay is vetting for most. I don't know if it could take less being honest.

Regardless of how simple a vetting file is to do, it still has to go to the various departments. It will obviously still go into the "in tray" and wait its turn to be looked at, and processed in each area. Its all down to how each department works, and how the individual's that get your file do their work. The exact details of how vetting is done and what they need to do or wait on and so on is known only to them.

Methinks I may be waiting until Feb for sure, oom under 200. Ah Crap :o . Congrats those who are up for November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Chrisbellew

As much as I wanted to delay the inevitable it looks like I'll have to park myself here until February, congrats all on getting your offers was a pleasure sharing the forums with ye for the past 13 months :P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

11 weeks until first round offers are out and 12 weeks for the second round. The countdown is on folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Clono

Does anyone no around what date offers for Feb come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Clono wrote: »
    Does anyone no around what date offers for Feb come out?

Going by the February 2017 intake thread the first round offers were out on the 16th of December and the second round were out on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ruairi93

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering would applying at 18/19 years old be ok? I'm currently in 6th year and have always wanted to be a Garda! I was planning on joining the airport police for a year or two before applying or traveling around Europe. Most of my family members were/ are currently Gardaí so they will be able to help me. But am worried I'll be too young at 18/19.

You won't get into the Airport police in Dublin airport, I'm working with DAA 2 years now and missed recruitment by about a month so there won't be another one for a while.

To be honest when I was 18 I wanted to be a guard too and I still do I'm awaiting a date for interview and I'm 24 now but the best bit of advice I can is don't get disheartened if you don't get it now...its the best thing that happened to me as I've picked lots of life lessons since I was 18. Go to college do something that you love and keep applying for AGS.

• Advertisement

Ruairi93 wrote: »
    You won't get into the Airport police in Dublin airport, I'm working with DAA 2 years now and missed recruitment by about a month so there won't be another one for a while.

To be honest when I was 18 I wanted to be a guard too and I still do I'm awaiting a date for interview and I'm 24 now but the best bit of advice I can is don't get disheartened if you don't get it now...its the best thing that happened to me as I've picked lots of life lessons since I was 18. Go to college do something that you love and keep applying for AGS.

Are you part of the most recent recruitment campaign then? Glad you seem to be keeping the chin up. I'll be the First to admit its easy when your waiting an age, or get knocked back its hard to keep that focus. But its worth it when you do, however you keep your head in the game. Waiting on the guards note but this ain't my first long wait :D

Oh on another completely random unrelated note. First time ever yesterday I wandered out into the wilds of boards beyond these threads. So many tinfoil hat wearers so I came right back here where I shall remain :p

Are you part of the most recent recruitment campaign then? Glad you seem to be keeping the chin up. I'll be the Fiat to admit its easy when your waiting an age, or get knocked back its hard to keep that focus. But its worth it when you do, however you keep your head in the game. Waiting on the guards note but this ain't my first long wait :D

Oh on another completely random unrelated note. First time ever yesterday I wandered out into the wilds of boards beyond these threads. So many tinfoil hat wearers so I came right back here where I shall remain :p

Ye I think I'm in the most recent one did my stage 2 on the 17th of August. So I'm just waiting to hear when my interview is.

Only started on boards today. I defo feel I'm at the right place to get it this time round! Hopefully anyway haha. What part are u in?

Ye I think I'm in the most recent one did my stage 2 on the 17th of August. So I'm just waiting to hear when my interview is.

Only started on boards today. I defo feel I'm at the right place to get it this time round! Hopefully anyway haha. What part are u in?

A good strong really in stage 2 I hope. Have you been through to interview before? I'm Sept 16 group and just waiting to be vetted and signed off. All done and good position. All set and good examples I take it.

Well no matter how infuriated posts outside of here get me, I take a breath and don't reply. Its just easier :p

A good strong really in stage 2 I hope. Have you been through to interview before? I'm Sept 16 group and just waiting to be vetted and signed off. All done and good position. All set and good examples I take it.

Well no matter how infuriated posts outside of here get me, I take a breath and don't reply. Its just easier :p

Wow well doneðŸ‘👠never got to interview stage before so hoping all goes well. I'm getting all my examples ready and will be doing a mock interview before hand hopefully.

Any tips for the interview from yourself?

Wow well doneðŸ‘👠never got to interview stage before so hoping all goes well. I'm getting all my examples ready and will be doing a mock interview before hand hopefully.

Any tips for the interview from yourself?

See pm, ask direct questions and ill narrow down the advice from generic to more specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SinWin

Hiya! Sept 16 here too! Passed everything! Waiting on intake! Met my superintendent he said he reckons I should get in November’s well it’s gone now! Fingers crossed for Feb! I actually thought next are January! Also he told me they are trying to get in more candidates per intake! Instead of 200 pushing 300!

SinWin wrote: »
    Hiya! Sept 16 here too! Passed everything! Waiting on intake! Met my superintendent he said he reckons I should get in November’s well it’s gone now! Fingers crossed for Feb! I actually thought next are January! Also he told me they are trying to get in more candidates per intake! Instead of 200 pushing 300!

300 would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NeeNawNeeNaw

Oom in the early 400's, just got a date for my PCT at the start of November. February 2018 is looking like a real possibility!

what campaign ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Isiheather00

Hey I'm June 17 just got my interview results and through to next stage. Does anyone know roughly when the PCT could take place? I also have the Irish to sit but rang yesterday they have no idea when that might take place. Does the vetting not start in till all stages are passed?
    Thanks in advance 😀

Advertisement