Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Impetus wrote: »
    This statement suggests that net € are more important to FR than providing customer service. Time for the incompetent regulatory system to financially burn ryanair.ie into reality, rather than allowing this monster DAC to behave as a hedge fund. While one has no time for the CCCITB, it makes one think that Ryanair should be paying 30 to 45% corporate income tax on flights within the European Union, as well as French style social protection taxes to pay for employee benefits and pensions.

Put manners on a company that treats many of its customers like victims.

Not including six months of arrears of staff time off legal entitlements into its reservations system in advance of flights looks to me as customer abuse x 64. Taking PAX money turns the incompetence/negligence into fraud.

It is also a serious reflection on the competence of gov.ie for doing nothing in advance to prevent same.

WTF?
    It isnt for regulators to solve a company's performance or customer service issues.

Of course € are more important to them. Providing customer service is only as important as optimising those €. And in the end, the balance is achieved by people choosing or not to use Ryanair - and they do, Ryanair fundamentally does know what they are doing even if they have screwed up here in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Surely taking bookings for flights that are still to be cancelled is breaking some law.
    The regulator needs to throw down on Ryanair after this.
    Make sure they dont do it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Impetus wrote: »

Ryanair don't care, they will always put money first!l, because they know that by Xmas this will be forgotten and people will be back booking their flights in the millions. People are fickle, and would put up with almost anything imaginable as long as it appears they are saving money.
    More fool us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Isn't the Regulator, IAA doing what a regulator supposed to do which is almost unheard of in Ireland. It set standards and insisted that Ryanair comply.

If Ryanair can be sure that they can fix this issue in 6 weeks then isn't it likely the case that they were just preventing first officers from progressing to Captain in a short-sighted attempt to save some money. Is that how it works?

__..__ wrote: »
    Surely taking bookings for flights that are still to be cancelled is breaking some law.
    The regulator needs to throw down on Ryanair after this.
    Make sure they dont do it again.

They arent.

They cant when they arent breaking any law.

Its up to customers to force them not to do it again - this will hurt Ryanair, and would hurt exponentially it should it happen again and people really do lose trust. But once ? People forget and click with their wallets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

737max wrote: »
    Isn't the Regulator, IAA doing what a regulator supposed to do?
    Ever wonder why Norwegian chose Ireland for its flag of convenience?

Financial arbitrage. Does anyone want to claim that the Irish Aviation industry isn't properly regulated from a safety perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

737max wrote: »
    Does anyone want to claim that the Irish Aviation industry isn't properly regulated from a safety perspective.

From experience i can tell you they can be a right pain in the backside depending on what flight inspector you get

So if Ryanair cancel your flight do they have to pay for a flight with another carrier if they dont sort out your flight.
    eg Im going to Birmingham next wednesday on the last flight. Ill be lucky to make it into Dublin airport for that time. I have to get that flight because i have an appointment at 7:00 am next day.
    If Ryanair cancel that there is an aer lingus flight at the same time. Can I get them to pay for that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

anyone with half a brain in a solicitors should pay a sandwich board couple of guys and girls to do the EU261 compo for people at the airports based on a 30% cut , they would clean up ( alternatively advertise on FB or here )

Ryanair are hoping like fk no one cops on to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

According to the new tonight extra costs such as tickets for missed events can be claimed for.

trellheim wrote: »
    anyone with half a brain in a solicitors should pay a sandwich board couple of guys and girls to do the EU261 compo for people at the airports based on a 30% cut , they would clean up ( alternatively advertise on FB or here )

Ryanair are hoping like fk no one cops on to this.

http://www.myrefund.ie/

https://www.refund.me/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If anything the fiasco is a great way to remind the public of their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

WTF?
    It isnt for regulators to solve a company's performance or customer service issues.
    It is if the company is publishing inaccurate, incomplete or misleading information. And if it is compounded with the company is taking cash for a service it will not be able to deliver. Yes the regulators should act.
    Of course € are more important to them. Providing customer service is only as important as optimising those €. And in the end, the balance is achieved by people choosing or not to use Ryanair - and they do, Ryanair fundamentally does know what they are doing even if they have screwed up here in the short term.

If Ryanair prefer le €, they should wake up and smell the coffee of customer satisfaction. Because good intelligent customer services typically brings a company €€€ rather than €. Ryanair often charges higher than Lufthansa/Swiss/AirFrance/KLM prices on certain route days, and the performance is 0 points or less. For a €400 fare, one ends up in a croweded rip-off dirty aircraft, dirty WC, crap, extra cost food trolley, only carrying junk food, a long wait for hot food (much longer than Aer Lingus, who are hardly angles).

If a company behaves like Ryanair has, it will grow customer hatred. And de-value its offering. Amazon does not treat customers in this manner. I have returned cameras that cost several thousand EUR to amazon.fr where minor items like the lens cap has become loose, and they send me a replacement camera, even before they get the bad one delivered back to their distribution centre.

The two most hated industries - banks and airlines. Neither of which are properly regulated, and many of whom are in the too big to fail category. Bank regulation in Ireland seems to be concentrated on producing utility bills and passports (because Ireland does not know the value of a national ID card) (Not that Ryanair should see itself in the too big to fail box).

A bunch of incompetent scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Somebody posted earlier that he booked a flight for 12.99 int he hope that it gets cancelled so can claim 260 compo, is it really that easy?

Say if i book 4 seperate flights, looking at whats already been cancelled, for departure in 4wks time

If all 4 were cancelled would i be guaranteed a grand compo??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

scudzilla wrote: »
    If all 4 were cancelled would i be guaranteed a grand compo??
    I'm guaranteed nothing. If they cancel with more than two weeks notice you get no compensation, just a refund.
    Ryanair need to start canceling flights more than two weeks out to minimize their EU 261 exposure.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

scudzilla wrote: »
    Somebody posted earlier that he booked a flight for 12.99 int he hope that it gets cancelled so can claim 260 compo, is it really that easy?"..............

EU 261 is the regulation that you can claim under, it's not the amount that you will be compensated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

and
    Does anyone want to claim that the Irish Aviation industry isn't properly regulated
    Aviation Week
    Norway's Ministry of Transport and Communications (MTC) says Norwegian Air Shuttle planned to move its long-haul operations unless certain of Norway's laws were changed. According to a letter that Norwegian labor union Parat provided to the U.S. Transportation Department docket, NAS, in late 2012, lobbied government officials to allow the hiring of pilots from outside the EU who do not have the required residence permits. The effort failed. In mid-2013, NAS told the MTC in a letter that the airline's planned move of its long-haul activity to Ireland was due to the fact that Norway's immigration legislation was not amended, the MTC explained in its correspondence with Parat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think it is very bad that no spokesperson for Ryanair has been on TV and Radio apologising for this cockup.If it was another airline,the DAA,the Government etc that were at fault for something Micheal O'Leary would be on his very high horse.

I think it is very bad that no spokesperson for Ryanair has been on TV and Radio apologising for this cockup.If it was another airline,the DAA,the Government etc that were at fault for something Micheal O'Leary would be very on his high horse.

Two different cases. Just because you are prominent when criticising others doesnt mean you have to apologise for your own cockups. Sometimes its best PR just to lie low. And he is a good judge of PR.

A bad bet though on the known facts is it not ? A 1 in 40 chance of your flight being cancelled triggering a 13 to 250. or 1 to 20 payout. I'm not a gambler or statistician, but doesnt that mean that the house wins even on such a low price 'ticket' ?

A bad bet though on the known facts is it not ? A 1 in 40 chance of your flight being cancelled triggering a 13 to 250. or 1 to 20 payout. I'm not a gambler or statistician, but doesnt that mean that the house wins even on such a low price 'ticket' ?

Maybe a bad bet now, but what about in 2wks? Further Cpts max out and you have 200 cancellations instead of 80.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe a bad bet now, but what about in 2wks? Further Cpts max out and you have 200 cancellations instead of 80.
    That logic doesn't work. If some crew are grounded for a week or two then their current hours will drop sufficiently to allow them to be rosetted flights again.
    The time period is a 'rolling' 365/90/7 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just because you are prominent when criticising others doesnt mean you have to apologise for your own cockups. Sometimes its best PR just to lie low. And he is a good judge of PR.

You could remove the word "low" in this post with no other change and it would probably pretty much summarise what is going on in MOL's head at the moment ;-)

Tenger wrote: »
    That logic doesn't work. If some crew are grounded for a week or two then their current hours will drop sufficiently to allow them to be rosetted flights again.
    The time period is a 'rolling' 365/90/7 day period.

Which are they maxing though, I assumed it was the monthly caps they're hitting as its for the remainder of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ED E wrote: »
    Which are they maxing though, I assumed it was the monthly caps they're hitting as its for the remainder of September?

The caps are rolling, not calendar month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly poor on-time performance lately, that's hardly related though?

Advertisement