Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Fairly poor on-time performance lately, that's hardly related thigh?

It will have burnt up more crew hours, so its a cause of some of the problems rather than an affect of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

L1011 wrote: »
    It will have burnt up more crew hours, so its a cause of some of the problems rather than an affect of them.

Understandable, however I notice issues over the past 2 days too!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Understandable, however I notice issues over the past 2 days too!

Punctuality is not going to improve greatly unless they
    1: Completely roll back on the seating changes, as the swapping is delaying pushback
    2: Extend turn times at congested airports significantly.

2 would't help the hours problem at all though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Fairly poor on-time performance lately, that's hardly related thigh?

It could be. If an aircraft is running late, and there's a spare airframe at the base, one option is to call in a crew that's on standby, use the spare airframe, and then not use the late running aircraft.

The problem then can be that a crew that were rostered to operate 8 hours has ended up operating 10 hours because of delays, and that could push them over one of the many limits that then restrict them, even if they didn't operate a sector that they were planned to operate.

That then results in another crew that wasn't rostered to fly being called in to fill the gap, and the problem has suddenly got worse, as yet another crew has now used time that they were not originally expected to use, and so the problem snowballs.

It's not just about actual flying hours, there are other restrictions on duty times, and rest periods and all sorts of other issues, all of which make crew planning a nightmare if there are then problems that genuinely are outside the control of the airline, like airport or ATC delays, or ground handling delays, which can be things like passengers missing in the bar that have hold checked luggage, which has to be removed before the flight can leave without the missing passengers, or even things like delayed refuelling. All of these can add to the time the crews are "working" even if the actual time in the air is not changed.

If you've a good reserve of flight crew, it can be managed, but if (as is being strongly implied by people outside of the "official" sources) Ryanair have been haemorrhaging crew in recent months, what was a manageable problem can very quickly become a scheduling nightmare, and it seems that this is the real issue.

The problems will reduce a bit once the winter schedule kicks in at the end of October, but clearly, they can't operate the schedule that was planned until then with the number of crew that have time available, so something has had to give.

That said, they are still in trouble, because if they are short of crews with time available, that issue will have to be addressed in order to be able to operate next summer's schedule, and the only way to address it is to make more people available to operate the aircraft, and realistically, while improving the terms and conditions for the people who have not jumped ship may prevent even more leaving, they will have to find a way to get a lot more people on board very urgently, as there's still a lot of new airframes arriving that will need crews.

I wish I was 20 years younger! Such is life.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

exaisle wrote: »
    My guess is that the cancelled flights have nothing to do with whatever Ryanair said.....

..and then we discover that Ryanair has lost 140 pilots to Norwegian Air...

Good enough for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

L1011 wrote: »
    Punctuality is not going to improve greatly unless they
    1: Completely roll back on the seating changes, as the swapping is delaying pushback
    2: Extend turn times at congested airports significantly.

2 would't help the hours problem at all though.

...and that's even after you inflate flight times to ensure higher levels of punctuality... 70 minutes to Birmingham? Ah, come on lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think it is very bad that no spokesperson for Ryanair has been on TV and Radio apologising for this cockup.If it was another airline,the DAA,the Government etc that were at fault for something Micheal O'Leary would be on his very high horse.

Hell would freeze over before MOL apologises to the public for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

"So far in 2017 Ryanair has lost 140 pilots to Norwegian Air, as passengers continue to be affected by the budget airline's plans to scrap up to 50 flights a day until the end of October.
    As the airline battles to fill positions, it is understood that Ryanair has commenced offering pilots a €10,000 "signing-on bonus" the Irish Independent reports."

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-loses-140-pilots-to-norwegian-air-as-travel-chaos-continues-36141910.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I'm quietly enjoying this ,minus the passenger disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

It must be hitting Mickos share price hard......

Might suit him.. as he can buy them back cheaper. Of courses... it also means that his own % gets hit and hopefully he will lose a few million off his own net worth! It is always about the SHare Price with Micko.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Had a flight cancelled on Saturday, trying to fill in the EU261 form and it is completely unwilling to accept my flight number. Live chat has been turned off every time I've tried contacting them... Losing the will to live with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

exaisle wrote: »
    ...and that's even after you inflate flight times to ensure higher levels of punctuality... 70 minutes to Birmingham? Ah, come on lads...

You do realise that the times quoted in the timetable and on the website are block times and not "flight" times?

In other words they reflect the time from when the aircraft starts to push back and the time they arrive on stand at the arrival airport and the doors open.

If the reality of the situation at Dublin airport is that aircraft are having to wait longer to take off, then extending the overall journey time is the only option airlines have. Otherwise every single flight throughout the day will get later and later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seems the Dublin - Bristol flight departing at 19:40 has been cancelled today and wednesday, gonna book that for a tuesday in 2 wks, worth a punt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

ahbell wrote: »
    Had a flight cancelled on Saturday, trying to fill in the EU261 form and it is completely unwilling to accept my flight number. Live chat has been turned off every time I've tried contacting them... Losing the will to live with this!

This is where they should be hit hard in the pocket by the regulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seems the Dublin - Bristol flight departing at 19:40 has been cancelled today and wednesday, gonna book that for a tuesday in 2 wks, worth a punt

It could happen? There might be a little earner in the compo. If not, have a nice weekend away? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Masala wrote: »
    It must be hitting Mickos share price hard......

Might suit him.. as he can buy them back cheaper. Of courses... it also means that his own % gets hit and hopefully he will lose a few million off his own net worth! It is always about the SHare Price with Micko.....

They have already recovered the losses from the opening slump.

Looks steady enough.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/IE00BYTBXV33IEEURSSMU.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ryanair don't care, they will always put money first!l, because they know that by Xmas this will be forgotten and people will be back booking their flights in the millions. People are fickle, and would put up with almost anything imaginable as long as it appears they are saving money.
    More fool us.

I'm not so sure about that. I fly with Ryanair a good bit and would have previously thought that a lot of the bad press they get is maybe unwarranted but this one takes the biscuit.

Over the weekend I was going to book a flight with them for a date in October but thought it was too risky so went with Aer Lingus instead. Then yesterday I see that flights on the route (Dublin-Santander) I was looking at were among the cancelled flights. They only operate that route on Sunday and Wednesday so any cancellation and you're seriously inconvenienced.

I'm already looking at flying with Aer Lingus for holidays next summer whereas we would have previously always flown with Ryanair. They both fly into the same airport and Ryanair were usually cheaper but I think I'd prefer to spend an extra few quid and fly with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

The problem then can be that a crew that were rostered to operate 8 hours has ended up operating 10 hours because of delays, and that could push them over one of the many limits that then restrict them, even if they didn't operate a sector that they were planned to operate.

Not sure I understand your point, crew's hours are from blocks off to blocks on, whether there was a 25 minute or 2 hour gap in between doors opening on arrival and closing again for departure then that doesn't get counted in the crew's hours. The only way a crew will end up doing 10 hours instead of 8 is if those 2 hours extra are sitting on a taxiway at the RWY hold point or delayed actually whilst in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

On another note. I really think other airlines are missing out on an excellent opportunity. Imagine if Aer Lingus, BA, easyJet or whoever else suddenly offered pax who could produce a Ryanair ticket and prove their flight was cancelled received some discount if they flew with them instead.

The brand loyalty that will encourage must be immense and would be a great boost to airlines who haemorrhaged passengers to Ryanair over the years. Ryanair would feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Can Someone clarify RE compensation. If Ryanair give sufficient notice or flight within 2 hours +/- of the original they don't have to pay.

Since pilots are leaving Ryanair can't tell what needs to be cancelled as they won't know how many pilots they will lose.

For consumers who had flights purchased that got cancelled, without sufficient notice or alternative flight arranged, is compensation an open n shut case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ryanair have published listings of flights cancelled up to and including Wednesday.
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/travel-updates/flight-cancellations7
    Still waiting here to find out if my parents flights to and from Scotland next weekend will be cancelled. One of my friends was lucky - he went on a short break to Spain and the return flight to Dublin for Sat and Mon were both cancelled but luckily not the Sun flight which was the one he had booked. He said that they couldn't relax and enjoy the mini break as they were worried about the flight being cancelled and not getting back in time for work this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They have already recovered the losses from the opening slump.

Looks steady enough.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/IE00BYTBXV33IEEURSSMU.html
    This is mad. Only 2 to 3% down...and there was me thinking about calling on a line of credit to snap up some cheap Ryanair shares.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

737max wrote: »
    This is mad. Only 2 to 3% down...and there was me thinking about calling on a line of credit to snap up some cheap Ryanair shares.
    I would guess that serious investors recognise that this is a short term speed bump caused by an extremely lean manpower setup, and that the operation will be back to normal soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Hi, I am flying to Amsterdam on Friday week with Ryanair for the weekend to see the rolling stones.. I haven't received a cancellation email yet but it could happen.. I'm fuming as if I miss this concert Ill definitely get no satisfaction!,sorry..

If its cancelled can I claim for the cost of the concert tickets which were fairly expensive btw, and hotel??
    I presume its a good time to take out travel insurance now ??

any help will be greatly received

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Flight was due to be on Saturday 16/9

For anyone else where the form won't accept the flight number... I spoke with a Ryanair agent who has advised using https://contactform.ryanair.com/ and then select 'Complaint' then 'Other'.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-have-really-messed-up-here-full-list-of-cancelled-flights-released-36141910.html

Top class journalism once again from the national rag.

40 new pilots in 2017 and 80 total(admin / finance / ops / hr etc) existing staff in Norwegian obviously equals 140 pilots poached from Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

The compensation should really be independent of Ryanair and more simplified payout

The airlines should be paying into a pot to cover it

Advertisement