Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭turkeyboy1990

Can someone help me please, its my first time flying with ryanair next friday from dublin to Edinburgh and back monday morning.
    I have hotel booked which cost me a hefty amount and at this stage i wouldn't get a cent back if i cancelled.

If my flight was to be cancelled would i get my money back for the hotel and flight too? I have no travel insurance or anything also it would be too late to insure... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

mikeysmith wrote: »
    The compensation should really be independent of Ryanair and more simplified payout

The airlines should be paying into a pot to cover it
    Setanta Insurance ran fast and loose. Do you think it was fair that the rest of the Insurance Industry picked up the tab.
    That's what you are proposing for Aviation compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

737max wrote: »
    Setanta Insurance ran fast and loose. Do you think it was fair that the rest of the Insurance Industry picked up the tab.
    That's what you are proposing for Aviation compensation.

It's a problem with the aviation industry regulation that they can play fast and loose

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm getting married next week and many of my guests are flying Ryanair. It's in Faro. Does anyone now how I can find out if any of the flights will be affected? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-have-really-messed-up-here-full-list-of-cancelled-flights-released-36141910.html

Top class journalism once again from the national rag.

40 new pilots in 2017 and 80 total(admin / finance / ops / hr etc) existing staff in Norwegian obviously equals 140 pilots poached from Ryanair.

No, Norwegian specifically stated in a press release a couple of weeks ago that 140 Ryanair pilots had joined them this year.
    This was in response to MoL' s claim that Norwegian "wouldn't survive the winter"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm getting married next week and many of my guests are flying Ryanair. It's in Faro. Does anyone now how I can find out if any of the flights will be affected? Thanks

They seem to be only giving 2 or 3 days ahead.

If it was me, and I was desperate to know - I would show up at their HQ in Dublin airport and demand an explanation - cant see anyone answering you over the phone or on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can someone help me please, its my first time flying with ryanair next friday from dublin to Edinburgh and back monday morning.
    I have hotel booked which cost me a hefty amount and at this stage i wouldn't get a cent back if i cancelled.

If my flight was to be cancelled would i get my money back for the hotel and flight too? I have no travel insurance or anything also it would be too late to insure... :(

I would guess no.

Compensation is for the flight.

Insurance is for the other costs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thankfully I'm flying Aer Lingus. I made an active decision to pay to fly Aer Lingus more because I did not want to risk it. Glad I did. Some of my guests however are on Ryanair - and I hope they wont miss the wedding...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Will this cancellation carrousel run into November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ryanair should also be reimbursing passengers for an alternative flight if they themselves cannot provide a reasonable option.

Two days later is never a reasonable alternative.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Brennus335 wrote: »
    No, Norwegian specifically stated in a press release a couple of weeks ago that 140 Ryanair pilots had joined them this year.
    This was in response to MoL' s claim that Norwegian "wouldn't survive the winter"

Either way it's another poorly written article with a headline number not being given context in the article itself

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Is there any info on flights cancelled in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Is there any info on flights cancelled in October?

No, because they are not giving that level of notice (yet, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

L1011 wrote: »
    No, because they are not giving that level of notice (yet, anyway).

Thanks.

Farce of a situation. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

a report from an aviation analyst in germany was speculating that the drive to have staff normalise their hours is so that they are in a position to react should Air Berlin be grounded which would mean their slots up for grabs immediately to airlines with staff and planes ready to fly in their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

BBC Says "A Norwegian spokesperson said: "We can confirm that 140 pilots have joined us from Ryanair this year. Pilot recruitment is also underway for more pilots for our new Dublin base opening later this year."" A-ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Well, it was inevitable that the anti-Ryanair brigade, Aer Lingus fanboys and and other grudge-holders would be out in force over this debacle.

That said, this is really an appalling decision by Ryanair to cause such stress and worry to their passengers not just by cancelling flights willy-nilly but also by giving such little notice which is of no use whatsoever for 99% of those affected. I say this as one of their best customers who has always focussed in on their reliability and punctuality (to complement their low fares).

What I really cannot understand is why they did not wet-lease in other aircraft to cover the gaps (or even some of them). Not even one aircraft. It's not as if they haven't done so before. There were at least two Summer schedules recently where they wet-leased in some 737's (I forget which airline) to fill the gaps. They could still do so.

It all beggars belief.

I can't understand why they won't wet lease. It is expensive but necessary.
    They'd had better be negotiating behind the scenes.

I'm a shareholder in Ryanair which has delivered a good quality product to millions of people who would otherwise not be able to afford to fly. I have no desire to be a shareholder in Ryanair who only deliver a promised service when it suits them to deliver it. I'm conflicted at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Mebuntu wrote: »
    What I really cannot understand is why they did not wet-lease in other aircraft to cover the gaps (or even some of them). Not even one aircraft. It's not as if they haven't done so before. There were at least two Summer schedules recently where they wet-leased in some 737's (I forget which airline) to fill the gaps. They could still do so.

At this point, though, what can they do about crew shortages?

That said, I agree the lack of notice here is appalling. They should be making cuts now to avoid paying out sub-14-day compensation notice and to avoid a further PR disaster. There's no reason they can't make these decisions much further ahead of time to give people notice and take the stress out of it.

• Advertisement

Mebuntu wrote: »

It all beggars belief.

It's quite simple really.
    Cancelling will cost less money than hire ins.
    As to the PR damage, well it'll blow over after a while, as most of the travelling public are quite willing to take the risk of being shafted if it's the cheapest ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

This is their response to people enquiring on Twitter...

"Hi, Between today and tomorrow all flight cancellations up and until OCT31 will be communicated. Apologies for the inconvenience."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

mgray wrote: »
    This is their response to people enquiring on Twitter...

"Hi, Between today and tomorrow all flight cancellations up and until OCT31 will be communicated. Apologies for the inconvenience."

A bit of common sense and respect for the customer..better late than never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

The British government won't take long getting their teeth into Ryanair if UK flights are continuously affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Imaging being a fly on the wall to the O'Leary tirade this will have unleashed on senior management.

Ferguson hairdryer? O'Leary hurricane of devastation I would say.

This is their main reason for doing this and not because they are Customer oriented. They'd prefer the flexibility of beign able to pick and choose which flights to cancel at their leisure but the EU 261 regulations are doing their job and preventing them from messing passengers around too much.

Imaging being a fly on the wall to the O'Leary tirade this will have unleashed on senior management.

Well, he's the one responsible for the mess, not anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Actually, for me - this looks bad for MOL.

Advertisement