Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

People have short memories.
    Have they short memories if they think they could lose 100s on hotel rooms, prepaid concert/match tickets etc. I would pay an extra 50 quid if I was 100% certain the airline would get me there rather than 'might get me there if they have staff' airline, maybe the next sale will cure all that but its a new development to have an airline cancel flights at random with 2/3 days notice

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Have they short memories if they think they could lose 100s on hotel rooms, prepaid concert/match tickets etc. I would pay an extra 50 quid if I was 100% certain the airline would get me there rather than 'might get me there if they have staff' airline, maybe the next sale will cure all that but its a new development to have an airline cancel flights at random with 2/3 days notice

Realistically, unless this becomes a recurring event; people who didn't have any cancellations (either by chance or by not flying at all with FR during the time period) will have forgotten it within a year or so.

If it turns out that it happens every summer, they're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Mehapoy wrote: »

I used to choose Ryanair because I was 100% sure they would be the ones to not have strikes etc.
    No more. They are now the most unreliable airline. No other airline just decides to cancel 50 flights a day for 6 weeks. And once they have done it once, they are liable to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

__..__ wrote: »
    I used to choose Ryanair because I was 100% sure they would be the ones to not have strikes etc.
    No more. They are now the most unreliable airline. No other airline just decides to cancel 50 flights a day for 6 weeks. And once they have done it once, they are liable to do it again

As a matter of interest, what makes you so certain that they will do it again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Michael O'Leary just gave a quick Ryanair HQ doorstep interview on SkyNews. Very entertaining.
    Press conference due ~1600

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what makes you so certain that they will do it again?

I didn't think they would ever do it.
    I thought they were a responsible depends airline.
    Obviously I was wrong. They have proven to be the opposite and can't be trusted not to hang people out to dry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

They've just said they'll be announcing all flights cancelled between now and end of Oct today and tomorrow.

Common sense has prevailed!

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/909761531725991936

I didn't think they would ever do it.
    I thought they were a responsible depends airline.
    Obviously I was wrong. They have proven to be the opposite and can't be trusted not to hang people out to dry again.

It's obviously something that will damage their business, either financially or their reputation, I would assume they would do everything they can to avoid a repeat. Just because something has happened once does not make it certain to happen again.

It's obviously something that will damage their business, either financially or their reputation, I would assume they would do everything they can to avoid a repeat. Just because something has happened once does not make it certain to happen again.

It didn't have to happen this time, yet they let it happen at their customers expense. They will let it happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Remember when your "carry on" bag was 2 cm's too big for their cage at the boarding gate and you had to pay a fee? No mercy?

Why should anyone show them any mercy now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary just gave a quick Ryanair HQ doorstep interview on SkyNews. Very entertaining.
    Press conference due ~1600

He's not supposed to be entertaining!!?? He's an arrogant twat.

It didn't have to happen this time, yet they let it happen at their customers expense. They will let it happen again.

So a company that has been in operation since 1985 does something once in 32 years of operation but you're certain they'll do it again. You should change your username to mystic meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Looks like what they were doing was probably illegal due to EU commercial laws

He's not supposed to be entertaining!!?? He's an arrogant twat.
    Entertaining
    https://twitter.com/DMcCaffreySKY/status/909765309392973824

That's actually O'Leary at his nicest. If the same interview had have happened 5 years ago he would kicked the reporter in the balls, walked away laughing while lighting a cigar with a €100 note and twirling his villain moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

So a company that has been in operation since 1985 does something once in 32 years of operation but you're certain they'll do it again. You should change your username to mystic meg.

But its not as if it was an unavoidable accident, the company choose to sh#t on their paying customers and once there is a precedent set its actually easier to do it again. I would never look at Ryanair the same again, now there will always a question mark whether the flight you've booked is ever actually going to go, not because of an act of god but because of a company decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Entertaining

I've been down that giant slide in reception :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I've just found out that I need to go to London at short notice, this Wednesday. Are cancellations known for Wednesday yet?

The 8:15 outbound from Dublin - Stansted.... what's the likelihood of this being cancelled?

I've just found out that I need to go to London at short notice, this Wednesday. Are cancellations known for Wednesday yet?

The 8:15 outbound from Dublin - Stansted.... what's the likelihood of this being cancelled?

Tried the website?

https://www.ryanair.com/content/dam/ryanair/2017sep/wednesday-flights-cancelled.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

SarahS2013 wrote: »

Thanks for this, didn't know they had Wednesday's list already.

• Advertisement

Looks like you're good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Id press conference being covered live on TV / Internet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Masala wrote: »
    Id press conference being covered live on TV / Internet??

I'd imagine sky will be all over it like a bad rash

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I thought he handled that very well.

There were other ways to deal with this which would have been nicer to their customers. They chose this way.
    But that's ok Michael. Customers are there to be beaten.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I thought he handled that very well.
    Me too. Looked like it he was doorstopped.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

On a note of moderation, we have already had to edit or delete airline bashing posts. Keep your posts speculative or factual. Gloating is not a positive contribution. Wishing accidents or closure upon an airline for a cockup in scheduling is not what we want to see.
    Obviously the outcry over this situation has lead to FR deciding to improve their communications over cancellations.

Michael O'Leary going solo at the press conference.
    Imagine any other CEO doing that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He is very very good . Off the cuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement