Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

He did a good job in the press confernece, calm, collected and upfront and explained it without being flustered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Press conference was well handled, but the lack of solid information as to when the full list of cancellations will be available is irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

This post has been deleted.

They expect compo claims to be ~€20m was the only thing I took out of it before Sky News cut to something different.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Press conference was well handled, but the lack of solid information as to when the full list of cancellations will be available is irritating.

I got the impression it would be very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ahbell wrote: »
    They expect compo claims to be ~€20m was the only thing I took out of it before Sky News cut to something different.

On RTE News Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I've been following this closely as I found out last Monday I need to attend a study event in the Netherlands in 2 weeks. I had shopped around the various airlines and RYR had come out the cheapest by €8 excluding priority boarding as I want to keep my case with me. Thankfully I didn't book on Monday as this fiasco hit at the weekend and I saw the DUB-AMS flights were hit. KLM and EI's flight prices have now inevitably jumped (up to 79% with EI) due to increased demand, so if anyone needs to book a flight over the coming weeks, book as early as possible because route competitors will find themselves with seats selling out much quicker.

devnull wrote: »
    I got the impression it would be very soon.

They're still saying this (less than a minute ago) on Twitter:
    Hi, Between today and tomorrow all flight cancellations up and until OCT31 will be communicated. Apologies for the inconvenience. ED
    The press conference should have given a specific time and delivery method when this information would be released so people didn't need to keep checking and worrying about it.

Update: They're now saying this: the flights that are cancelled with be up on the website tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

They're saying today/tomorrow on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

They've published all cancelled flights till end October, available on their website later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if the airline notifies people 2 weeks in advance then they dont owe compensation, which maybe you're not taking into consideration ?

"I'm sorry"
    p0uVBVa.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"The pilots who left think the grass is greener and will come back"

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    They're saying today/tomorrow on twitter.

I'm aware of that, but I still believe it was yet another poor move to hold a press conference and not be able to provide that information— and furthermore, to not even be able to provide information about when that information would be available.

This has been badly handled from start to finish, IMO.

I'm aware of that, but I still believe it was yet another poor move to hold a press conference and not be able to provide that information— and furthermore, to not even be able to provide information about when that information would be available.
    This has been badly handled from start to finish, IMO.
    But they have provided the data to the press. It'll be on ryanair.ie later today. Also O'Leary says that less than 100 pilots have gone to Norwegian but they say 140...
    pxJsoWg.jpg?1

if the airline notifies people 2 weeks in advance then they dont owe compensation, which maybe you're not taking into consideration ?

They won't have to pay out if they can re-book the people to arrive at their destination within a few hours of their intended arrival time, either, and the flights mentioned at the press conference are mostly short flights like Dublin/Amsterdam, which will limit payouts further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

etselbbuns wrote: »
    "I'm sorry"
    p0uVBVa.jpg?1

Ach, he did very well really.
    Whatever about the Ryanair critics, the root causes that brought them to this action, the frustration on this crisis, and his famed abrasive manner, for a CEO of a multibillion company in the throws of a very expensive crisis and trying to manage it, to be very open on every point like that is very impressive whatever way you slice it.

No consolation to those affected, but silences those going for the cheap 'where is he now', 'they wont acknowledge anything', 'they will fight compensation tooth and nail', 'they arent trying to communicate and keep customer up to date', barbs, he has fronted up.

etselbbuns wrote: »
    But they have provided the data to the press. It'll be on ryanair.ie later today.

When they have a means to release that information to the public themselves directly, why not make the effort to do so ASAP when they admit in the press conference that they've created a weekend of uncertainty which has caused problems?

Why can't they at least say "The full list of cancelled flights will go live on our website at 8pm" or similar?

They've took the flights off sale and are in the process of emailing customers.

I suspect they want to tell the customers first before the general public.

devnull wrote: »
    They've took the flights off sale and are in the process of emailing customers.

I suspect they want to tell the customers first before the general public.

As a customer who is possibly affected, I'd rather have the option of going to the website and checking for myself at an announced time rather than sitting here refreshing my email for the next few hours wondering if the email just hasn't come yet or if I'm one of the lucky ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As a customer who is possibly affected, I'd rather have the option of going to the website and checking for myself at an announced time rather than sitting here refreshing my email for the next few hours wondering if the email just hasn't come yet or if I'm one of the lucky ones.

Both will happen in the next 24 hours. Just stay cool, the information is on the way. My girlfriend and mother are both affected (a flight at the weekend and one in early October) and they know there is no point in stressing until the information has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just to add that apparently there is a major issue with Outlook/Hotmail today and mails may not be sending/receiving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

All things considered he handled the Press Conference very well.

The fact that the full cancellation list will go up tonight at least means that people should have more certainty (if it turns out to be accurate).

I was interrupted for a short period while watching but I didn't hear anyone ask why they wouldn't wet-lease in any aircraft, which to me is the first obvious question.

He also said he wouldn't be paying the (high) fares of any other airline if people chose to replace their cancelled flights with other airlines and the Regulator has said the same in another interview I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why is it necessary to give the pilots a 4 week block of leave? Is this just a Ryanair thing or industry wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This has wiped €2 billion off of Ryanair's share price, a 10% drop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Riskymove wrote: »
    Just to add that apparently there is a major issue with Outlook/Hotmail today and mails may not be sending/receiving!!

Jesus don't tell me they're on leave too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

MadYaker wrote: »
    This has wiped €2 billion off of Ryanair's share price, a 10% drop :eek:

Irrational dexuberance.

The value of the company has not changed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why is it necessary to give the pilots a 4 week block of leave? Is this just a Ryanair thing or industry wide?

Pilots have a limit on the number of hours they can fly in a certain period for obvious reasons. Once they use up all those hours they can't fly again until they have had enough rest to bring them back under the limit.

It's not a Ryanair thing, I believe the limits are decided by the EU Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

awec wrote: »
    Pilots have a limit on the number of hours they can fly in a certain period for obvious reasons. Once they use up all those hours they can't fly again until they have had enough rest to bring them back under the limit.

It's not a Ryanair thing, I believe the limits are decided by the EU Commission.

I am aware of the hours limitation but I always thought that would have been looked after with the rostering schedule throughout the year (5 on 4 off I think for Ryanair) as opposed to a compulsory 4 week block.

Advertisement