Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why are they ending in November?

Because business will pick up for the beginning of the Winter season prior to Christmas.

Entirely wrong, they end at the end of October because the winter schedule comes into force and is alot slacker than the summer schedule. November is, by the way, traditionally one of the quietest months of the year. The run up to Christmas doesn't start in November, maybe in shops it does but not in the transport industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

adam88 wrote: »
    My question is how young can you be to fly commercially. Hasn't been my first time to see such young first officers

I always hope that when the captain announces with very high-pitched voice, it is a woman speaking and not a guy before his puberty...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Independent mooting possible strike action after a meeting of Ryanair pilots yesterday where industrial action was discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Paully D wrote: »
    The Independent mooting possible strike action after a meeting of Ryanair pilots yesterday where industrial action was discussed.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the various incarnations of "alpas" across Europe sought to take advantage of the current situation to try to bring Ryanair down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Paully D wrote: »

Double edged sword for the pilots if the decide start a strike.

On the one hand they have more leverage now than they will probably ever have and ignoring them would be difficult even for someone like MOL.

On the other hand the damage a strike (I.e. even more cancellations) would do to the company's at this time would be massive, which in the medium/long term is not good for employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

not that bad in terms of outgoing flights from Dublin. I feel for Barcelona, Stansted, Milan and Madrid tho most of the cancellations are from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'm probably in the minority here, as I had a work trip to Italy that I wasn't arsed about doing. Flight cancelled. Happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Just reading through this thread it seems a lot of people will be able to claim their entitlement through EU261 from Ryanair and for their other losses from their travel insurance...?
    I'm no fan of the insurance industry but is it right that they should take a hit because of the incompetence of Ryanair to correctly manage their company?
    Are we likely to see an increase in travel insurance premiums as a result of this debacle or a premium excess when traveling on Ryanair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

ArthurG wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority here, as I had a work trip to Italy that I wasn't arsed about doing. Flight cancelled. Happy.

What sort of slave driver employer sends their employees via Ryanair. As a private flyer you can suffer the indignities but as an employee for work???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

737max wrote: »
    What sort of slave driver employer sends their employees via Ryanair. As a private flyer you can suffer the indignities but as an employee for work???

I very often find it much more convenient to fly directly with Ryanair than to change somewhere, just to have BA written on my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

737max wrote:

I know right. It's like allowing employees to avail of the taxsaver scheme so that they can get to work using Dublin Bus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I know right. It's like allowing employees to avail of the taxsaver scheme so that they can get to work using Dublin Bus...
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I worked for another Irish airline (not ryanair) who sent most of their staff via Ryanair (if we didn't serve the route). Costs still add up even on Ryanair when you've to send 5 people for a meeting in Brussels, you gonna give aer lingus 900 or ryanair 400? Any business with an ounce of sense will go with the latter.

And yes, top company execs travel Ryanair. Often time Ryanair are the only option available also, especially for eastern european destinations.
    I'm sidetracking now and I do apologise. But I've a 14 year old brother who is hell bent on becoming a pilot. I wouldn't give him my car to drive 4 years from now never mind a b737

I've met 40 year olds I wouldn't give my car to. You're making the tragic mistake of linking age with maturity. Have you ever wondered why some people are captains by 26/27 and some resigned to senior first officer for their whole careers? ... aviation doesn't make that mistake.

You can be old and immature and young and mature.

Aviation, for all its faults, is on the ball when it comes to pilot recruitment. Not any Tom, Dick and Harry makes it into that right hand seat after qualifying if they did their license self sponsored. If not, well they would have jumped through the same hoops to get onto a cadet programme. There are always a battery of tests and assessments, all sorts of hoops to have to jump through to prove yourself, despite the situation with Ryanair and what people are suggesting, you will not be given a 737 to fly if you're not up for it, too much at stake for the airline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Oh I agree. UK taxpayers
    2A2EA42C00000578-0-image-a-35_1435873480175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

A lot of companies including the one I work for, allow employees to book their own travel, through a web portal. Until recently, we couldn't choose Ryanair, but for European travel that's a crazy situation. Since then, I've used them a bit. The only issue is the emails you get from Ryanair when they notice you used a third party, suggesting you book direct in future. Can't do that unfortunately. Needless to say, I won't be using them again until all this blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ryanair is a perfectly fine airline, with the newest fleet and one of the best safety history across Europe. So why not?

Just had a look at some of the media coverage of this - lot of the media seem to have it in for Ryanair and lots of unsourced comments and the Daily Mail has gone all out on the CMO drinking a pint at the pub and posting all his recent activity from Facebook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4898590/Ryanair-marketing-boss-boasts-busy-week.html

Not particuarly relvant at all, but to try and make it relevant they claim that "Mr Jacobs was in a pub last night after sitting next to his boss Michael O'Leary at an extraordinary press conference in Dublin where Europe's largest airline cancelled 2,024 flights before the end of October."

Except he wasn't sitting next to his boss in the press conference......

If this was any other airline there'd never be the volume of articles there is right now. People and bodies are exploiting this for their own agenda sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Kenny must have had a skin full of pints as the picture and the check in at o'reillys of sandymount are at variance. :) that's what stress brings I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Are Ryanair pilots being rostered standbys during this current crisis or are all available pilots being used to the max to maintain the schedule as far as possible..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

devnull wrote: »
    Just had a look at some of the media coverage of this - lot of the media seem to have it in for Ryanair and lots of unsourced comments and the Daily Mail has gone all out on the CMO drinking a pint at the pub and posting all his recent activity from Facebook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4898590/Ryanair-marketing-boss-boasts-busy-week.html

Not particuarly relvant at all, but to try and make it relevant they claim that "Mr Jacobs was in a pub last night after sitting next to his boss Michael O'Leary at an extraordinary press conference in Dublin where Europe's largest airline cancelled 2,024 flights before the end of October."

Except he wasn't sitting next to his boss in the press conference......

If this was any other airline there'd never be the volume of articles there is right now. People and bodies are exploiting this for their own agenda sadly.

That's one of the risks when you're one of the biggest airlines in the world....there will be a concerted effort to influence you. Nothing about the fact that 98% of flights operated as normal. The British Airways IT meltdown left nearly 100k people stranded over the course of a week yet it generated less air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I heard the conditions Ra have attached to the 12k bonus. Get paid next year. Don't miss any scheduled flights. Take holidays when they say so.
    Methinks it won't be an incentive to staff to forgo their holidays this year.

As an aside I would think the request breaks every health and safety rule in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ArthurG wrote: »

What sort of slave driver employer sends their employees via Ryanair. As a private flyer you can suffer the indignities but asan employee for work???
    They fly to a huge amount of Aer ports that suit people for meetings. They are generally very punctual, they have many flights so you can always grab the next one if your delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Coverage is probably going to get more negative before it gets better. A lot of serving and former FR pilots are currently making contact with the media to "tell all" about the crew exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    They fly to a huge amount of Aer ports that suit people for meetings. They are generally very punctual, they have many flights so you can always grab the next one if your delayed

Until recently the last one there was very untrue - once daily or sub-daily were often common and a major reason to fly anybody else. Its now only true on a few routes at that.

There are not many routes where there are more Ryanair flights than the main logical competitor.

Their punctuality is degrading constantly and, for Irish origin passengers where the competing airline is probably Aer Lingus, has been inferior to them for some time.

Businesses put people on Ryanair because its cheapest or quickest for that scenario and not much else. And realistically that's the same reasons they pick other airlines too. With their range of destinations, if timings work they will often be the quickest by far as the other options are connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    That's one of the risks when you're one of the biggest airlines in the world....there will be a concerted effort to influence you. Nothing about the fact that 98% of flights operated as normal. The British Airways IT meltdown left nearly 100k people stranded over the course of a week yet it generated less air.

Agreed. There's also an unfounded hatred of Ryanair by a lot of people; see that guys comment about flying with Ryanair commercially for example.

I've used Ryanair for years because they offer a great service at a good price. Sure, there's the odd delay or whatever, nothing that I haven't seen happen with other airlines. I've never gotten stung by the "hidden" charges because I've read the rules, always checked in and had my boarding pass printed etc.

I feel sorry for those who have had their flights cancelled at late notice. It's crap for them but Ryanair has came out and admitted fault, apologised, said they're trying to give everyone alternative arrangements where possible and are paying compensation for those affected. This is the sort of reason we buy travel insurance.

**** happens. What else can they do?

It's not going to put me off using Ryanair as long as they're still offering the same good value price and great service. However, I worry that given their recent loss of talent, they'll probably have to improve wages for pilots. I'm guessing that's how they lost so many in a short period. This may be something that's passed onto the consumer.

Are Ryanair pilots being rostered standbys during this current crisis or are all available pilots being used to the max to maintain the schedule as far as possible..?

Ryanair's whole punctuality record is based on having standby crews to sub in for late running crews and to avoid cancelling flights, that is why their punctuality is so high, trouble is that it's not the most effiecent use of pilot hours even if it does generate better short term customer service.

Removing standbys would result in a shart increase in long delays with no prospect to recover them and last minute cancellations when pilots run out of hours so Ryanair have took the decision to cancel a very small number of flights to protect the service recovery ability of the other 98%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Government departments for one if they are cheaper than the alternatives and flight times suit the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

they have many flights so you can always grab the next one if your delayed

Possibly true for a few routes such as London, but certainly not across the board.

If I was going on a business trip to Paris and my employer wanted to put me on Ryanair I would tell them to feck-off. There are 2 or 3 flights a day not always at very social hours. In my experience the evening ones are often delayed quite a bit and you have to wait in an area which is even worse than the rest of the airport because it is just for the few flights leaving the Schengen area. Plus if the flight is delayed/cancelled you're stuck in Beauvais.

I'll accept these things if it's on my own time and I decide I want to go for a cheap weekend and accept the inconvenience. But I think it is fair enough that when you go for work you tolerance to issues and unconfortable situations is lower. And there is no question Aer Lingus or Air France are delivering a better experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

john boye wrote: »
    Coverage is probably going to get more negative before it gets better. A lot of serving and former FR pilots are currently making contact with the media to "tell all" about the crew exodus.

Possibly so...but in the unlikely event that people could actually think rationally and not believe everything they read they would conclude that if there was a so-called 'exodus' they certainly wouldn't be able to run 98% of their flights, and up until this week 100%!!

Advertisement