Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Bob24 wrote: »
    Delayed and canceled flights also are sign of mismanagement.

They are just part of that business. Airlines don't want to have too much delays nor cancellations, because they generate cost. But if you don't have any delays, you are not pushing hard enough.

If the tighter schedule improves the per plane revenue by 5% and increases the operating costs by 3% (this includes projected cancellation and delay costs) - it is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

grogi wrote: »
    They are just part of that business. Airlines don't want to have too much delays nor cancellations, because they generate cost. But if you don't have any delays, you are not pushing hard enough.

If the tighter schedule improves the per plane revenue by 5% and increases the operating costs by 3% (this includes projected cancellation and delay costs) - it is the way to go.

Yes of course. But there has to be a point when making the schedule tighter generates more additional costs that revenue. So it doesn't make any sense to say that a tighter schedule is always better.

And there can also be different strategies (for exemple busier schedule with more backup ressources versus looser schedule with less backup ressources) which are both fine and depend on how the company wants to run their business.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Daily Mail have had another go at Kenny Jacobs in the mornings papers with a picture of him smiling with beer being happy whilst still describing him as the man beside Michael O'Leary yesterday who is laughing and smiling.

Shouldn't expect anything better from the Daily Mail but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Don't worry about the Daily Mail. Nobody else does

john boye wrote: »
    Don't worry about the Daily Mail. Nobody else does

Indeed - it's just simply posting screenshots from someones Facebook and then giving a narrative of this person is smiling and in the pub, after dealing with a serious press conference that has effects on passengers earlier and how dare he doesn't sit well with me.

Firstly because of the point M'OL was there alone and secondly I don't agree with a newspaper posting things from someones Facebook in the newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Of course he is stressed, wouldn't you? He has a crisis on his hands.

However the management made, from business point of view, rational decision to minimise the loses during that crisis. Running all flights, but 30% of them delayed would have much bigger financial consequences.

They are cutting a small number of carefully selected flights and will probably be able to offer rerouting for some of the passengers to even further mimimise the EU261 payouts. The financial impact is not negligible, but it went from a disaster to a something that does not threaten the company.

Are you in the PR department for Ryanair?

Look no matter which way you look at it, its a disaster that I think O' Leary needs to resign over, its a major PR disaster, I personally will never fly Ryanair again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kravmaga wrote:
    Disagree entirely with what you have said, O' Leary looked stressed at the press conference, he should go, senior management incompetence

He looked the same as he always does like he was letting water run off the ducks back.

At least Ryanair staff weren't dragging off Passengers and beating them up.

kravmaga wrote: »
    Are you in the PR department for Ryanair?

Look no matter which way you look at it, its a disaster that I think O' Leary needs to resign over, its a major PR disaster, I personally will never fly Ryanair again

O'Leary has run one of Europe's most successful businesses in the past decade, he has made a mistake yes, but that still doesn't change the fact he's done a remarkably good job up until now and one mistake like this is not going to finish him off, if there was a series of mistakes over and over again and a catalogue of errors he'd have to go, but we're not at that stage now.

Michael O'Leary has handled this well so far, he's come out and has pretty much took it all on the chin on behalf of his organisation and is happy to have all the flack directed to him. That will help internally in many roles in the business because it stops blame culture before it gets started. He's stood up and took responsability to take the heat off other staff.

He could have ran and hid and blamed everything on others, went out there with a spin doctor or just not faced the media and everyone would be getting it from all directions in the company and it would tear itself apart internally, what he's done is shown that he is the leader and the buck stops with him.

Essentially O'Leary is taking one for the team, he wants the flack directed at him rather than slung all over the company.

devnull wrote:
    Essentially O'Leary is taking one for the team, he wants the flack directed at him rather than slung all over the company.

He also cut to the chase when asked about the long term effect of this negative action. He simply said their booking engine is full of bookings from people who said they'd never fly with them again but faced with higher fares elsewhere came back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All these calls for O'Leary to resign are hilarious, he has turned a small regional airline into one of the biggest airlines in the world, granted the timing was quite good (managed to break through as barriers were being removed), however he is a very impressive business man and probably one of the few Irish people that deserve our pride.

It started off with poor handling, was Infact disgraceful cancelling flights with near no notice. However I feel as if this situation has been handled very intelligently by MOL.

He won't be there forever, but MOL many years left in him. Any calls for him to resign are just a sign of hatred towards him or the company Ryanair, his position in the company is as tenable as ever. Like or dislike, ryanair is undeniably one of the most successful companies to come from Ireland in the history of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    He took the airline from nothing to 120mln pax per year and you think he should resign over this, while it is a huge f up, entirely their own making, it is not something he should walk over. If the issue persists possibly but if like they say it's just a 8 week thing then no.

I dont care what he has done in the past, this current issue is not going away.

I dont care what he has done in the past, this current issue is not going away.

Tell us that again at Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

O Leary will be fine. They have published their list of cancelled flights. From my own point of view this has solved my issue with it - the date I wanted to fly isn't cancelled so I have gone ahead and booked those flights with Ryanair cause it was half the price of aer lingus. Countless others will have no doubt done the same as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

devnull wrote: »
    O'Leary has run one of Europe's most successful businesses in the past decade, he has made a mistake yes, but that still doesn't change the fact he's done a remarkably good job up until now and one mistake like this is not going to finish him off, if there was a series of mistakes over and over again and a catalogue of errors he'd have to go, but we're not at that stage now.

Michael O'Leary has handled this well so far, he's come out and has pretty much took it all on the chin on behalf of his organisation and is happy to have all the flack directed to him. That will help internally in many roles in the business because it stops blame culture before it gets started. He's stood up and took responsability to take the heat off other staff.

He could have ran and hid and blamed everything on others, went out there with a spin doctor or just not faced the media and everyone would be getting it from all directions in the company and it would tear itself apart internally, what he's done is shown that he is the leader and the buck stops with him.

Good God. . . The O'Dreary lovers are as tedious and boring as O'Dreary himself.

He's cost his company €30m and is losing pilots left, right and centre and he's still the poster boy.

Reality is O'Leary advised Tony Ryan to shut down Ryanair in the late 1980s but Ryan persisted. Granted O'Leary went on to make a huge success of Ryanair and so credit where it's due.

Nevertheless if anyone in the HSE or Irish Rail or wherever were responsible for costing €30m+, we all know what O'Leary's response would be.

Let this be a lesson to those who think O'Leary has all the answers and even more so to those morons who think he should be running the country.

Good God. . . The O'Dreary lovers are as tedious and boring as O'Dreary himself.

Great debate ;)

Again, the only reason I think you or anyone wants to see him gone is due to a personal dislike of the man. Calling names or whatever doesn't improve your argument, it Infact makes it look petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I remember when Easyjet briefly came to Dublin and tried to disrupt the Ryanair low cost monopoly. Ryanair low balled all their fares and forced Easyjet to go home with their tails between their legs.

The sweet irony of this debacle, I must say!

When did EZY come to DUB? I remember when they went to ORK,SNN and NOC but not DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

JCX BXC wrote: »
    When did EZY come to DUB? I remember when they went to ORK,SNN and NOC but not DUB

Early 2000s if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

JCX BXC wrote: »

I think they inherited the Dub flights after their takeover of Go.
    I may be mistaken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

From what I have read Ryanair have pretty much confirmed that in this leave transitional period they have allowed and asked pilots to use a full years leave in just nine months of the year. This leads to more pilots being on vacation at once because they're squeezing in the same amount of leave spread over a shorter timeframe

Is that actually true though? Why would ryanair give employees 12 months worth of leave over 9 months? They're not known for their generosity. And I'm pretty sure if it was just so pilots could take leave that leave would be cancelled.

The transition of calender year isn't really about annual leave its about crew hours.

Also a number of people have mentioned about using standby crews to recover delays, maybe I don't understand but for a standby crew to recover a delay do they not also need a standby aircraft? During the summer ryanair seem to only have 2 or 3 spare aircraft for the fleet.

• Advertisement

tu2j2 wrote: »
    Is that actually true though? Why would ryanair give employees 12 months worth of leave over 9 months? They're not known for their generosity. And I'm pretty sure if it was just so pilots could take leave that leave would be cancelled.

The transition of calender year isn't really about annual leave its about crew hours.

Also a number of people have mentioned about using standby crews to recover delays, maybe I don't understand but for a standby crew to recover a delay do they not also need a standby aircraft? During the summer ryanair seem to only have 2 or 3 spare aircraft for the fleet.

The leave issue is a rouse.
    Ryanair recruitment department currently sending emails to pilots who passed their recruitment assessments, but didn't take up the subsequent employment offer.
    Asking them do they want to join, what base they want and when they can start.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Brennus335 wrote: »
    The leave issue is a rouse.
    Ryanair recruitment department currently sending emails to pilots who passed their recruitment assessments, but didn't take up the subsequent employment offer.
    Asking them do they want to join, what base they want and when they can start.

Is that email going out to cadet pilots or just experienced captains and fo's?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

He's cost his company €30m and is losing pilots left, right and centre and he's still the poster boy.

Reality is O'Leary advised Tony Ryan to shut down Ryanair in the late 1980s but Ryan persisted. Granted O'Leary went on to make a huge success of Ryanair and so credit where it's due.

Nevertheless if anyone in the HSE or Irish Rail or wherever were responsible for costing €30m+, we all know what O'Leary's response would be.

Let this be a lesson to those who think O'Leary has all the answers and even more so to those morons who think he should be running the country.

You do know they made a profit of 1.3 billion euro last year which was 200 million more than the previous year! 'costing' 30 million is a drop in the ocean and will likely be wiped out by an increase in profits anyway.
    It's in no way comparable to the HSE which isn't a public company, doesn't generate a profit and just spends public money OR Irish Rail which is supposed to, at a minimum break even but they can't even manage that. We all should be critical of anyone in the public sector 'wasting' 30 million not just Michael O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is a saying from 1832: "He who never makes an effort, never risks a failure."

Mistakes are part of progress and life. People should just learn to acknowledge them, fix them and don't make same mistake again.

Those who want to get rid of MOL (who I personally hate) because of this are simply insane.

No one claims that anyone has all the answers or doesn't make mistakes, but based on his overall success I'd speculate that he'd make a better success of the HSE or the housing crisis than any of our current or previous politicians.

Is that email going out to cadet pilots or just experienced captains and fo's?

I don't know. I was just sent a screenshot of the email by a colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

God I hate the era of social media...where everyone is an expert and everyone thinks they're an armchair president or primeminister, constantly calling for people's heads on a daily basis without any hope of context. FR made a major error, sure, but they are a massive and successful operation - I don't recall them making such a cock up before. And no, pissing off customers in the main doesn't count as you know where you stand with them. Operationally they are usually very on the ball. No way should O'Leary have to resign for this, no matter his personality or wealth. Also those saying he couldn't run our countries better than politicians clearly haven't seen just how awful politicians are...P.S. I realise Boards could be counted as social media, but here you get actual intelligent debate even if I don't agree with it. On the likes of Twitter you simply see the arse end of humanity and a sea of childish thickos.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No one claims that anyone has all the answers or doesn't make mistakes, but based on his overall success I'd speculate that he'd make a better success of the HSE or the housing crisis than any of our current or previous politicians.

I suspect he wouldn't, he personifies the failure of the neoliberal movement

Do the maths 300000 passengers, each costing on average 300 euro. That is cost of 90 000 000 euro. Triple that to account damaged reputation...

So Ryanair will earn 1.2 bln instead of 1.5 bln this year... Disaster, management should be crucified...

The truth said, Ryanair is biggest airline in Europe atm. F__kups will happen and that's part of doing cut throat business.

Disagree entirely with what you have said, O' Leary looked stressed at the press conference, he should go, senior management incompetence
    So because he looked stressed he should go? If he was laughing and joking you'd say he didn't care.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I suspect he wouldn't, he personifies the failure of the neoliberal movement
    Ah yes Ryanair has been such a failure for the little man - flying them cheaply all over Europe once a year maybe several times a year. Some people forget the days when people couldn't afford London - Dublin due to the ridiculous fares.

Advertisement