Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

There's a lot of people very quick to hate on Ryanair/MOL at the moment.

As I see it, things are playing out as follows:
    > Ryanair f**ked up in a big way by not catching this early enough.
    > MOL f**ked up in a big way, for someone who is usually on top of everything that happens in his company, for not catching this.
    > MOL becomes the public face of this farce, takes the slings and the complaints, as essentially, he is Ryanair.
    > MOL is not expected to, nor does he fall on his sword.
    > At a private meeting between MOL and the top managers in Ryanair, he tells them in no uncertain terms that if anyone allows this travesty to happen again, he will personally remove them from the building, if he doesn't toss someone there and then.
    > A Massive, MASSIVE seat sale is announced.
    > A lot of those people who "are never flying Ryanair again" book the cheap seats, as they can't resist a bargain.
    > Most people fly happily ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fr336 wrote:
    Ah yes Ryanair has been such a failure for the little man - flying them cheaply all over Europe once a year maybe several times a year. Some people forget the days when people couldn't afford London - Dublin due to the ridiculous fares.

Macro head time! One of the major failings of the neoliberal movement is, 'increased worker insecurity', amongst other things of course. I'm just glad this is balanced out by the 'trickle down' effect of profits from such organisations! Of course Ryanair has revolutionized the airline industry, which is good for all, but its aggressive economic model has come at a price for many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

As soon as this debacle is over

1 million 1 cent seats will be sold or some similar promo and eaten bread will soon be forgotten

It hasn't affected me yet and i do feel sorry for the people affected it could have been managed a bit better at the start

There are rules governed by the EU around them and if Ryanair cant make the cut they will have to pay

MOL has already said he will pay.

This thread will be dead in a day or two

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The British Press really are making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

Looking at the British Press you'd think there are hundreds of flights a day being cancelled from the UK when its just 10-12 flights a day out of a schedule of a good few hundred yet every little newspaper has an example of someone who has been effected by it saying how serious it is despite most of them are on high frequency routes where alternatives can be offered

BA cancels hundreds of flights per day several days in a row due to strikes and IT system failures and there was nowhere near as much outrage despite the fact it had far more effect on British Citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

devnull wrote: »

Looking at the British Press you'd think there are hundreds of flights a day being cancelled from the UK when its just 10-12 flights a day out of a schedule of a good few hundred yet every little newspaper has an example of someone who has been effected by it saying how serious it is despite most of them are on high frequency routes where alternatives can be offered

BA cancels hundreds of flights per day several days in a row due to strikes and IT system failures and there was nowhere near as much outrage despite the fact it had far more effect on British Citizens.

And Ryanair is an Irish company. A massive Irish success story. I'm sure these two facts aren't connected :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There's a lot of people very quick to hate on Ryanair/MOL at the moment.

I've seen people commenting that they hope Ryanair goes out of business because of this.
    Very unlikely but if it did happen it would have a massive effect on tourism and trade across Europe.
    No more cheap flights from Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

marvin80 wrote: »
    I've seen people commenting that they hope Ryanair goes out of business because of this.
    Very unlikely but if it did happen it would have a massive effect on tourism and trade across Europe.
    No more cheap flights from Ireland either.

It would marginally. The market does not tolerate vacuum and there is enough of competition to keep the prices in check.

Those planes would end up being sold or leased to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

No one claims that anyone has all the answers or doesn't make mistakes, but based on his overall success I'd speculate that he'd make a better success of the HSE or the housing crisis than any of our current or previous politicians.

You'd want to be a fool to buy a house from the likes O'Leary.

There'd be extra add on charges for the roof, toilet, and running water.

As regards the structure of the building. . . I won't go there.

Bazzy wrote: »
    As soon as this debacle is over

1 million 1 cent seats will be sold or some similar promo and eaten bread will soon be forgotten

One cent flights if you fancy going from Riga to Lublin on Christmas Day at 4pm.

This is the thing about Ryanair. . . .its a myth they are a cheap airline.

They are more expensive than Aer Lingus and this has been the case for a good few years now. Even where they are slightly cheaper than other airlines, the hassle they put their passengers through allied to the hidden costs attached whilst flying to airports in the middle of nowhere make them not worth it.

In November I'm flying one way from a European city as Aer Lingus are fully booked on the day I want to return. Forced to take Ruinair returning to Dublin.

The outgoing Aer L flight for two = €120 approx
    Returning flight with Ryanair for two = €300 approx

I've noticed that Ryanair are a heck of a lot more expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The hatred of Ryanair and people who will jump at anything to stick the boot in is just bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

One cent flights if you fancy going from Riga to Lublin on Christmas Day at 4pm.

They are more expensive than Aer Lingus and this has been the case for a good few years now. Even where they are slightly cheaper than other airlines, the hassle they put their passengers through allied to the hidden costs attached whilst flying to airports in the middle of nowhere make them not worth it.

In November I'm flying one way from a European city as Aer Lingus are fully booked on the day I want to return. Forced to take Ruinair returning to Dublin.

I've noticed for a long time that Ryanair flights returning from European destinations during the summer are double the outgoing price. You can play it to your advantage though by booking the return with another carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You go ahead and cherry pick examples, while saying it's most of the time.

You're wrong, Ryanair are cheaper then EI most of the time, but not all the time. Your completely unnatural hatred of the company doesn't change this!

I don't know why you're so focused on a smear campaign for MOL and the company to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The hatred of Ryanair and people who will jump at anything to stick the boot in is just bizarre.

While they have the ryanair website open in another tab booking flights to Majorca in January for €50.

This just nonsense I'm afraid. If you compare flight prices for a few months time on ten routes where Aer Lingus and Ryanair both have a service Ryanair will be cheaper on 9 out of ten every time.

OK, I have flew to the following places in the last two years

Barcelona €58 return
    Copenhagen €9 return
    Berlin: €52 return
    Budapest: €49 return
    Paris Beuvaius: €32 return
    Hamburg: €35 return
    Liverpool €6 return
    Manchester: €4 return
    Glasgow €3.75 return

If you book in the middle of summer don't expect cheap flights, but if you book in the spring, winter or in the autumn and at least 6-8 weeks ahead there are some massive bargains to be had, especially if you know how to use the fare finder function to spot them, the other trick is to book routes the first day or two that they are announced, the first few days of routes are normally rock bottom prices because they only have people coming out rather than also coming back so there are always seats to pick.

Go look at prices on routes where Aer Lingus have a monopoly and compare them to routes where they have competition, I flew to Warsaw several times over the years and Aer Lingus were never below €100. The moment they had some competition suddenly they could cut the fares in half overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Ryanair don’t operate on Christmas Day.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Just seen a fresh batch of articles about Ryanair's £1.50 a minute 0871 helpline being the latest scandal to his the 'crisis' airline, despite the fact it's an 0871 number which Ofcom confirm is charged up to 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 3p and 40p per minute

I've also seen claims of passengers having a flight from Paris Charles De Gauelle to Warsaw Chopin Airport cancelled leaving in them tears, depsite the fact that Ryanair doesn't even serve CDG or run international routes from Warsaw Chopin.

Like the misguided and personal attack on Jacobs, it's open season on Ryanair and clearly some press outlets are so desperate to hit Ryanair when they are down that they have decided that fake news and untrue stories is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

fr336 wrote: »
    God I hate the era of social media...where everyone is an expert and everyone thinks they're an armchair president or primeminister, constantly calling for people's heads on a daily basis without any hope of context. FR made a major error, sure, but they are a massive and successful operation - I don't recall them making such a cock up before. And no, pissing off customers in the main doesn't count as you know where you stand with them. Operationally they are usually very on the ball. No way should O'Leary have to resign for this, no matter his personality or wealth. Also those saying he couldn't run our countries better than politicians clearly haven't seen just how awful politicians are...P.S. I realise Boards could be counted as social media, but here you get actual intelligent debate even if I don't agree with it. On the likes of Twitter you simply see the arse end of humanity and a sea of childish thickos.

Getting rid of MOL would be suicide for Ryanair. He's there to make them money and he's been very good at it. Granted, this PR disaster happened under his watch but if they were to get rid of him it would make their future very uncertain. Once this episode is over he'll probably continue to make them plenty of money.

But none of that means he'd be a good man to run the health service or any other enterprise whose main aim is not to make money. He might make it more efficient but that wouldn't mean it'd be good for patients. The most efficient health service probably doesn't have any patients!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Can never understand the hatred for Ryanair. They're a great airline. This "scandal" won't deter me from flying with them again in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Just seen a fresh batch of articles about Ryanair's £1.50 a minute 0871 helpline being the latest scandal to his the 'crisis' airline, despite the fact it's an 0871 number which Ofcom confirm is charged up to 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically cost between 3p and 40p per minute

I've also seen claims of passengers having a flight from Paris Charles De Gauelle to Warsaw Chopin Airport cancelled leaving in them tears, depsite the fact that Ryanair doesn't even serve CDG or run international routes from Warsaw Chopin.

Like the misguided and personal attack on Jacobs, it's open season on Ryanair and clearly some press outlets are so desperate to hit Ryanair when they are down that they have decided that fake news and untrue stories is the way to go.

Not really sure what else you expect if you read those kinds of papers/sites? Any kind of scandal like this sends them into overdrive and ones involving LCCs like FR/U2 will always get it worse than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You'd want to be a fool to buy a house from the likes O'Leary.

The point is not about him actually selling houses but that he has no time for stupid rules that prevent us getting social housing built.
    There'd be extra add on charges for the roof, toilet, and running water.

I prefer the choice I have of a cheaper flight because I choose to use one baggage case instead of two full of extra unused clothes when I go on holiday with my family.
    As regards the structure of the building. . . I won't go there.

His planes have an excellent safety record unlike priory apartments and the thousands of houses with pyrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder how much of the same (Brexit vote encouraging) media would acknowledge the EU in setting up the 261 compensation scheme. Imagine what it would have been like getting compensation from the notoriously skinflint Ryanair without those rights in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

plodder wrote:
    I wonder how much of the same (Brexit vote encouraging) media would acknowledge the EU in setting up the 261 compensation scheme. Imagine what it would have been like getting compensation from the notoriously skinflint Ryanair without those rights in place.

I wonder if the Brits will keep this rule after 2019.

plodder wrote: »

Probably the usual kind of responses such as - it would have happened anyway or there would have been something better if the Brits could allow their own scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Can you claim compensation if your flight is diverted, meaning you arrive at your destination more than 3 hours late? Our flight into Rome was diverted to Pescara and ended up in Rome 4 hours after the flight was scheduled to arrive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

dutopia wrote: »
    Can you claim compensation if your flight is diverted, meaning you arrive at your destination more than 3 hours late? Our flight into Rome was diverted to Pescara and ended up in Rome 4 hours after the flight was scheduled to arrive there.

Not if the diversion was outside of Ryanair's control, which chances are it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not if the diversion was outside of Ryanair's control, which chances are it was.

Thanks. It was weather, so that's a no then :)

Ryanair have issued the following update:
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-cancellations-update/
    Ryanair today (Wed 20th Sept) provided an update on its progress at working through the cancellation of 2,100 of its 103,000 flights over the next 6 weeks as follows:

– All 315,000 customers received email notices on Mon 18th advising them of their flight changes and offering alternative flights, refunds and EU261 notices. (The figure is lower than the original 390,000 estimate because forward bookings in September were 90% but October were 70%)

– By close of business on Wed 20th, Ryanair expects to have re-accommodated over 175,000 customers on other Ryanair flights – over 55% of affected customers.

– By close of business on Wed 20th, more than 63,000 flight refunds will have been processed (over 20% of affected customers)

– The airline has taken on extra customer service staff to expedite the backlog of flight change requests and refunds.

– Ryanair expects to have processed over 300,000 alternative routings or refunds for customers (over 95% of affected customers) by the end of this week – within 6 days of customers being notified of these flight cancellations.

Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs said:

“We apologise sincerely to each and every one of the 315,000 customers whose original flights were cancelled over a 6 week period in September and October, while we work to resolve this short term rostering failure.

We have taken on extra customer service teams to speed up the rate at which we accommodate and action alternative flight requests or refund applications. We expect to have the vast majority of these completed by the end of this week.

The vast majority of these requests are being dealt with online, but as our call centres and chat lines are extremely busy, we ask affected customers to bear with us as we do everything we can to respond to their requests and try to resolve any problems we have created for them, for which we again sincerely apologise.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Can never understand the hatred for Ryanair. They're a great airline. This "scandal" won't deter me from flying with them again in the slightest.

Post again if/when you're stranded somewhere and flight gets cancelled. I'm sure you'll take it all in your stride?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You go ahead and cherry pick examples, while saying it's most of the time.

You're wrong, Ryanair are cheaper then EI most of the time, but not all the time. Your completely unnatural hatred of the company doesn't change this!

I don't know why you're so focused on a smear campaign for MOL and the company to be honest.

I can only discuss my own experiences of Ryanair.

Admittedly I will only check Ryanair after other airlines.

Every time I do this so-called "low fares" airline is always more expensive or sometimes cheaper but I'd rather pay the difference than fly with a bunch of cowboys who don't treat the people who are their customers with respect (I'm not referring to the pilots and cabin crew here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Given we all now know FR are hemorrhaging trained pilots but have no problem recruiting new pilots can this current issue impact next summer?

New aircraft and increasing fleet size recquires increasing cockpit crew, this is currently beyond FR managements capability so whilst winter will be okay with parked aircraft , next summer is a challenge, can anyone see this bonus incentive preventing a current FR pilot leaving? I just cannot see it ....

Advertisement