Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

With appropriate notice and early enough awareness of a problem they can just wet lease to cover what they need to and/or defer airplane orders and/or sell older airframes a little earlier than planned to mitigate against this.

One of the biggest problems they've had now is they didn't realize there was a problem or act until it got to this stage, hence O'Leary's comments about needing more earlier warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

devnull wrote: »
    With appropriate notice and early enough awareness of a problem they can just wet lease to cover what they need to and/or defer airplane orders and/or sell older airframes a little earlier than planned to mitigate against this.

One of the biggest problems they've had now is they didn't realize there was a problem or act until it got to this stage, hence O'Leary's comments about needing more earlier warning.

scheduling must be very difficult in the industry if they didnt see this coming, i do understand its a very complex industry in this regard. heads must be wrecked the last while trying to solve this

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

I hope MOL can concede that a little extra tlc to his hard working staff might avoid next summers obvious problems , I mean how can you expect three months notice
    From a self employed pilot when DY will take you tomorrow ?

Ah well what goes around comes around, it's a shame because overall FR were getting better now they are just getting meaner , there is no need for this approach , given their success, not sure if I would book FR now, given the poor planning, poor staff retention and lack of commitment to staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Another Michael O'Leary press conference due tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

MOL is just way ahead of the media , it is so disappointing that they cannot see the basic issues, pilot retention, working conditions etc

Almost not worth watching him waltz around the media gombeens

Just ask

Why are so many of your well trained pilots leaving in droves to anywhere in the world but Europe !

• Advertisement

Seems that a lot of the Pilot Unions are using this as leverage for other things as well from reading around.

Some of them would be quite happy to bring Ryanair down to help the massive amount of members that they represent in other airlines and I would suggest that Ryanair pilots should bear this in mind - the unions may be leading them down a path to benefit their members in other airlines under the pretense they are helping Ryanair staff who they don't even represent or get any subs from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Seems that a lot of the Pilot Unions are using this as leverage for other things as well from reading around.

Some of them would be quite happy to bring Ryanair down to help the massive amount of members that they represent in other airlines and I would suggest that Ryanair pilots should bear this in mind - the unions may be leading them down a path to benefit their members in other airlines under the pretense they are helping Ryanair staff who they don't even represent or get any subs from.

Well I highly doubt that Ryanair pilots are listening to unions to which they are not allowed to be members of.

Ryanair pilots should strike now that O'Leary is on his knees begging for them to take the 12 grand, which it seems they've refused.

Together with cabin staff they should just announce a date (within the next week or so) to collectively walk out unless O'Leary is going to listen to their basic demands of being allowed to join a union and general terms and conditions.

Strike when O'Leary needs them most.

The guy who boasted with "sack 'em all" with regard to Luas drivers would then be left humiliated and exposed as he'd be left with no choice.

Edit:

Ryanair pilots at almost 20 bases across Europe now demand permanent contracts under local laws and pay that’s benchmarked with that at rival carriers.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-pilots-at-almost-20-bases-across-europe-now-demand-permanent-contracts-under-local-laws-36152735.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Savman wrote: »
    Post again if/when you're stranded somewhere and flight gets cancelled. I'm sure you'll take it all in your stride?

I will, I'm an adult who understands the airline industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

I wish they would give me a call. I've only been waiting 5 years for an interview/assessment to fly their planes :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

I'm just astounded at the fact that Micky has offered this bonus. If they have the money to guarantee 12,000£ to a captain in the space of a year (albeit with classy Ryanair clauses) why doesn't he take his head out of his backside and give the pilots what they want! If the problem with pay rises and T&C improvements isn't with the money they're making, it begs the question; where IS the problem? Well, you're looking at him on the news everyday this week.

You can't put a price on respect - it's as simple as that. Treat the real workers of the airline with some respect, and maybe it might lessen the flow on the mass migration. I hope the ryanair crews stand
    Up to this and strike if Micky doesn't listen to them, which would be a very silly mistake on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    I wish they would give me a call. I've only been waiting 5 years for an interview/assessment to fly their planes :):):)

Nothing against yourself but I hope you have a job elsewhere in the meantime even if it is the dreaded turboprops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm just astounded at the fact that Micky has offered this bonus. If they have the money to guarantee 12,000£ to a captain in the space of a year (albeit with classy Ryanair clauses) why doesn't he take his head out of his backside and give the pilots what they want!.

Power. Ryanair wants to retain control over the pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Nothing against yourself but I hope you have a job elsewhere in the meantime even if it is the dreaded turboprops.

@Norwegian :D

grogi wrote: »

Control involving mad stuff like taking a pilot living in Barcelona and positioning him in Oslo away from his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

grogi wrote: »

Control involving mad stuff like taking a pilot living in Barcelona and positioning him in Oslo away from his family.

Unfortunately that's the only way they can get them to keep aircraft in the skies (til now). Google 'chasing carrot on treadmill'

I'm just astounded at the fact that Micky has offered this bonus. If they have the money to guarantee 12,000£ to a captain in the space of a year (albeit with classy Ryanair clauses) why doesn't he take his head out of his backside and give the pilots what they want!

Because if you give everyone what they want all of the time it means they will keep repeating the exercise on a regular basis and will never take no for an answer the next time a dispute happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I personally find it rather amusing watching all the media and general public talking about this pilot leave malarkey.

Where in EASA FTLs does it state pilots must be given massive blocks of leave in order to comply with the calender year being Jan 1 - Dec 31? Makes no sense whatsoever. Also, how does switching from apr - mar to jan - dec involve having to send loads of pilots on leave? Their clock would have started in April, so they are only 6 months in ... there shouldn't be any requirement to administer tonnes of leave. Unless of course the pilots they do have burned up all their hours in this 6/7 month period from the busy summer schedule and doing more than they should have has resulted in them approaching their annual limit. Seems to make more sense.

It is also rather convenient that he is saying it will last 6 weeks ... i.e. enough to get them into the winter period during which they lay off a large number of pilots anyway due to the reduced schedule.

There are not enough pilots in the company, he should be answering questions as to why that is the case. The fact the media are even entertaining this nonsense of annual leave for pilots, or as he put is "giving our pilots lots of holidays" ... does he think we're ignorants or what? :confused:

IALPA say pretty much the same

https://ialpa.net/ialpa-analysis-of-ryanair-pilot-numbers-crisis/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Ryanair pilots should strike now that O'Leary is on his knees begging for them to take the 12 grand, which it seems they've refused.

Together with cabin staff they should just announce a date (within the next week or so) to collectively walk out unless O'Leary is going to listen to their basic demands of being allowed to join a union and general terms and conditions.
    ..and disrupt millions more passengers. What a nice considerate statement that is - obviously got a large chip on your shoulder from somewhere.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    ..and disrupt millions more passengers. What a nice considerate statement that is - obviously got a large chip on your shoulder from somewhere.

"Won't somebody please think of the passengers"?

That would be a first for Ryanair.

"Won't somebody please think of the passengers"?

That would be a first for Ryanair.

Actually I've dealt with them on a number of occasions in the past with issues and they've always been very helpful, the biggest problems I have had over the years are with Aer Lingus and Wizz Air (if you think Ryanair have a lot of fees you should see them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Yes. Sounds harsh, but needs must. They won't give a f*** otherwise.

People want to fly practically for free. Life doesn't work that way. If you want to fly, then people must be aware there are costs involved. O'Leary and his army have given the public practically free flights and trodden on the middle man in the process.

We have spent a hell of a lot of cash, and in most cases given up a lot too, in order to both pursue and fund our flight training, we expect to be renumerated and treated appropriately. Alongside the responsibilities involved with the job, if every airline treated pilots like Ryanair, all I can say is it won't just be Ryanair cancelling flights in future.

He still doesn't get the message though, "we'll offer them 12,000 but if they have more than 4 sick days they don't get it".

Some people will never learn.

Rather than be up front like a man, he fed the press a load of nonsense about pilot's leave which only those who know next to nothing about FTLs would swallow. I'm surprised the press have even believed him as much as they have.

Never realised that Ryanair were charging cabin crew three grand for their training. . . . Seriously I thought that sort of carry on was left back in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Whenever you're finished with your tantrum Peter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's always been trendy to hate on FR. I have issues with how they apparently treat staff, but as far as customers go I'm really not sure they're at all worse than the rest in the main. Indeed when others will just immediately cancel flights due to events, FR won't give in and will usually get people going even if it means a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

The homepage of ryanair.com still has a narrative leading to a link which reads "15 September flight cancellations". As I write this, it is 20.09.2017.

Dozy or what?

The people responsible for ryanair.com etc should be embarrassed, as should the CEO.

If this is the prevalent attitude, is it any wonder that the communication of cancelled flights to intending passengers was so screwed up?

Impetus wrote: »
    The homepage of ryanair.com still has a narrative leading to a link which reads "15 September flight cancellations". As I write this, it is 20.09.2017.

Dozy or what?

The people responsible for ryanair.com etc should be embarrassed, as should the CEO.

If this is the prevalent attitude, is it any wonder that the communication of cancelled flights to intending passengers was so screwed up?

It's actually

15 Sept: Flight Cancellations

I would have thought that it was quite clear 15th Sep was obviously the date the notice was first posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

1123heavy wrote: »
    Yes. Sounds harsh, but needs must.
    Ah, now we're getting close to what's going on. No prizes for guessing whose needs. Indicative of the attitude that seems to prevail among workers in the transport industry.

Aer Lingus have it, BA have it, Lufthansa have it, Air France have it, Thomas Cook pilots on strike next Saturday, Heathrow workers now planning Christmas strikes, Tube, Rail and Bus workers in the UK, French and other Air Traffic Controllers, Luas and Bus/Irish Rail here - it's neverending. They have this power to close things down and disrupt the lives of millions of people. All out of pure greed. "Please Sir, I'm getting some more whether you like it or not".

I expect that Ryanair crews will be treading the same ugly path now egged on and aided and abetted by all the various "alpas".

As usual, it will be the ordinary worker who has to foot the bill in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

It's actually

15 Sept: Flight Cancellations

I would have thought that it was quite clear 15th Sep was obviously the date the notice was first posted.

Only for those who aren't purple faced with fury and frothing from the mouth as they hurl every pebble within reach at Ryanair and MOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah, now we're getting close to what's going on. No prizes for guessing whose needs. Indicative of the attitude that seems to prevail among workers in the transport industry.

Aer Lingus have it, BA have it, Lufthansa have it, Air France have it, Thomas Cook pilots on strike next Saturday, Heathrow workers now planning Christmas strikes, Tube, Rail and Bus workers in the UK, French and other Air Traffic Controllers, Luas and Bus/Irish Rail here - it's neverending. They have this power to close things down and disrupt the lives of millions of people. All out of pure greed. "Please Sir, I'm getting some more whether you like it or not".

I expect that Ryanair crews will be treading the same ugly path now egged on and aided and abetted by all the various "alpas".

completely agree with the highlighted statement, but who's the main beneficiaries of these systems? who in fact are the greedy ones? maybe the workers strike due to 'increasing worker insecurity'?

• Advertisement

Yea. . .the cheek of them.

Staff at Ryanair looking to be treated with dignity, respect whilst given a remuneration which matches that at other airlines.

Who do they think they are?

You show 'em

Advertisement