Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

L1011 wrote: »
    Full page ad from the APA in the Irish Times today. Odd for a US domestic union to get involved as said above.
    A full page ad. That is odd actually. I only glanced at the article as I get goosebumps from reading that newspaper, and the posters comment sounded a bit hysterical.

I want to see the ad in its entirety now - I still don't think picketing some meeting in Dublin is extraordinary, but the newspaper ad is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

L1011 wrote:
    Full page ad from the APA in the Irish Times today. Odd for a US domestic union to get involved as said above.

Interesting actually

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

US ALPA were intrinsically involved in the Aer Lingus pilot's strike around 2003/4. There's photos online of ALPA members in uniform leading the strike march.

So it's not that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brennus335 wrote: »
    US ALPA were intrinsically involved in the Aer Lingus pilot's strike around 2003/4. There's photos online of ALPA members in uniform leading the strike march.

So it's not that unusual.

EI fly to the US so I'd have thought that might work as a link, tenous as it is. APA and ALPA hate each other I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A full page ad. That is odd actually. I only glanced at the article as I get goosebumps from reading that newspaper, and the posters comment sounded a bit hysterical.

I want to see the ad in its entirety now - I still don't think picketing some meeting in Dublin is extraordinary, but the newspaper ad is a different kettle of fish.

Huge picture of a grumpy MOL under "Major Boo Boo" and some text actually quite lightly attacking him. It won't have been a cheap ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Huge picture of a grumpy MOL under "Major Boo Boo" and some text actually quite lightly attacking him. It won't have been a cheap ad.

Anyone got a pic of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

They're tweeting about it too:

https://twitter.com/AlliedPilots

Most of the pictures on the twitter feed show them picketing - I wonder when they find the time to fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

1123heavy wrote: »
    And one other thing, there seem to be a lot of pilot experts on here, I'm interested, what licenses do ye hold and what exams have ye done that enables you all to form such opinions, to the extent that you're basically saying pilots do nothing? Lots of experts on the profession here I see. Well I tell you one thing, thank God for the unions.

Its an open forum, and one all the richer for some contributions from detached, disinterested views from non pilots.

Your post indicates distinct touchiness. And combined with the gratitude for the existence of the unions suggests further; that the pilots are concerned that their position is indeed fundamentally weaker than they would wish it. Hence the defensive questioning of the credentials of commentators, and the approval of union sabre rattling - normally a good sign that the true argument is weak and arm wrestling must be resorted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Turnipman wrote: »

Most of the pictures on the twitter feed show them picketing - I wonder when they find the time to fly!

There must be way too many of them as well if they can afford to pack 350 of 'em off across the Atlantic to Ireland for a few days on a strike junket that's none of their business.

The pictures and the comments further confirm that arrogance is still rife among unionised pilots. Between them all they've disrupted millions more passengers than Ryanair will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Mebuntu wrote: »
    arrogance is still rife among unionised pilots.

If fighting to not have the profession go down the gutter, while those forcing us to allow it to do so get richer and richer, then you can call pilots any name you want.

You would be singing a very different tune if you were a pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Lets all play nice here.
    This is a subject very close to the bone for a number of posters. Everyone's opinion is valid but personal put downs and Smart Alec posts will incur warnings and/ deletions.
    In addition the anti Ryanair want to gloat, maybe do that in After Hours. This thread is concerned with the current staffing issue at Ryanair, it's not a place to grind your axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭john boye

Turnipman wrote: »

https://twitter.com/AlliedPilots

Difficult to have a whole heap of sympathy for the APA when you remember their claims about the ME3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Transport minister told Michael O'Leary that the fiasco is "unforgivable","unacceptable" and "should never happen again". Shane Ross said "Our hearts break for the passengers..." :rolleyes:
    source: today's Sindo

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

1123heavy wrote: »
    If fighting to not have the profession go down the gutter, while those forcing us to allow it to do so get richer and richer, then you can call pilots any name you want.

You would be singing a very different tune if you were a pilot.

I regularly fly abroad. I must say that I always am very grateful to the pilot when we touch the tarmac. It is a great burden to be responsible for the lives of so many. I think that you are doing great jobs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Pilots hit back:
    li1sO1C.jpg?1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Pilots hit back:
    li1sO1C.jpg?1

Considering the kind of reputation the Mail has and the nonsense articles it has been producing all week which have been full on sensationalism, trawling Ryanair's staffs social media accounts and posting most of their personal lifes activities for the previous weeks and trying to make it somehow relevant by claiming said person were sitting next to Michael O'Leary at the press conference (they weren't!) at a crisis meeting and is now jollying it up, I woudn't believe everything that you read in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

devnull wrote: »
    Considering the kind of reputation the Mail has and the nonsense articles it has been producing all week which have been full on sensationalism, trawling Ryanair's staffs social media accounts and posting most of their personal lifes activities for the previous weeks and trying to make it somehow relevant by claiming said person were sitting next to Michael O'Leary at the press conference (they weren't!) at a crisis meeting and is now jollying it up, I woudn't believe everything that you read in it

Perhaps not but on the other hand from the headlines there is plenty to echo the way Tony Ryan ran Guinness Peat Aviation. He was horrible to his staff. The bottom line of all these companies is profit which is fair enough but like the Dunnes and the Penney's they have zero respect for their workers. All these companies haemorrhage staff at an alarming rate but the global shortage of pilots means that they don't have the power they used to have. I say good luck to the pilots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Captain Sullenberger has rowed in behind the Ryanair pilots. The article below is behind a paywall, but I did here it discussed earlier on the radio and the good captain is supposed to have criticised the lengths that low cost carrier's go to to stay ahead of labour laws and regulations.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/hudson-hero-sully-lends-support-ryanair-pilots-398610

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Transport minister told Michael O'Leary that the fiasco is "unforgivable","unacceptable" and "should never happen again". Shane Ross said "Our hearts break for the passengers..." :rolleyes:
    source: today's Sindo

If I had the time (or the motivation!), I'd love to crawl back through Shameless Ross's columns in the SIndo until I found some where he slobbered all over MOL and Ryanair's business model!

But that was then and this is now and he's morphed into the lowest form of Irish public life:- a populist, bandwagon loving politician! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

li1sO1C.jpg?1
    "Our water safety training was in a PUBLIC pool" .... oh the humanity.

They really need to be careful not to over do the outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A number of troll posts and those responding to the troll have been removed, as despite earlier moderator warnings, they were inappropriate posts

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

plodder wrote: »
    li1sO1C.jpg?1
    "Our water safety training was in a PUBLIC pool"   .... oh the humanity.

They really need to be careful not to over do the outrage.
    Compare it to British Airways or Emirates. He's hinting at they don't have their onsite training facility which most airlines do. They're not being snobs, simply expecting what other airlines have. The link below will show what he's comparing it with, some difference. Wouldn't you say? 

watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I dont work for ryanair so maybe someone can confirm, do they use the Alsaa pool?

I'd be wary now of what pilots actually said compared to what the mail have printed. I see no shame at all in using the Alsaa pool, Cityjet do as well as Aer Lingus. This seems a bit strange to have pilots talking about so I'd take the mail headline with a pinch of salt.

Sullysark wrote: »
    Compare it to British Airways or Emirates. He's hinting at they don't have their onsite training facility which most airlines do. They're not being snobs, simply expecting what other airlines have. The link below will show what he's comparing it with, some difference. Wouldn't you say? 

watch
    That's the point though. The average punter would applaud Michael O'Leary for that kind of cost saving, if that's part of what allows him to charge low fares. They shouldn't be comparing themselves to the cossetted pilots of legacy carriers imo. Keep it to issues that the public can identify and agree with, like the lack of permanent contracts, being moved around between bases etc. That example of staff being laid off for six weeks unless they move base and pay for their own accomodation/food is like something out of Dickens.

plodder wrote: »
    That example of staff being laid off for six weeks unless they move base and pay for their own accomodation/food is like something out of Dickens.

How do you think seasonal businesses work?

Many industries require less staff in the winter than in the summer, do you think that Ryanair just employs them to sit around doing nothing for the time when they need less staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Many industries require less staff in the winter than in the summer, do you think that Ryanair just employs them to sit around doing nothing for the time when they need less staff?
    I don't have a stake in this so correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that they wouldn't get as much from social welfare in the winter season as they would from an actual salaried job. It's all fine and dandy to not need staff during winter, but people need money over the winter months also. What do Ryanair staff do currently, in those circumstances?

I don't have a stake in this so correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that they wouldn't get as much from social welfare in the winter season as they would from an actual salaried job. It's all fine and dandy to not need staff during winter, but people need money over the winter months also. What do Ryanair staff do currently, in those circumstances?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but this is an issue with any job which is effected by seasonal demand, not just Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

But don't most staff know in advance that they will be working xyz months and can plan to go elsewhere after their stint is up. Of course things can go wrong with companies and people can be put on short term days or laid off temporarily which is what should be happening here.

Maybe I picked this up wrong but these people have to move to busier airports if they want to keep their jobs and pay for their own accommodation and expenses. Because they have been offered alternative work by the company they can't claim any state benefits if they refuse. Where are they going to stay? Sure the pay they are on would eat up most of what they earn.
    Is this not again the company exploiting the workforce backing them into a corner where it obviously suits Ryanair to move them around and they still have their workforce when they need to move them back again.

I don't know how anyone could agree with MOL on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Obviously it's just guess work, but I would assume this forum would be able to deliver an educated guess..

What are the chances of industrial action by Ryanair staff in the next few weeks?

Heading away early October.
    Was relieved that our flights weren't affected by the cancellations but now worried that we haven't seen the end of this...

• Advertisement

There must be a base level of traffic which justifies a particular level of permanent employees and then manage the peaks with contractors?

TBH, I think the whole question revolves around the legal definition of contractor vs employee. If someone is employed as a contractor, but they work with Ryanair the whole year, aren't allowed to work for anyone else etc. I can't understand how they have gotten away (legally) with this. Not an expert in employment law, but these people are de-facto employees in my eyes.

Advertisement