Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

irishmoss wrote: »
    But don't most staff know in advance that they will be working xyz months and can plan to go elsewhere after their stint is up.

From what I understand this is comjmon practice in Ryanair and has been happening for years and most staff would probably be aware of how it works, it's just being highlighted at the moment because of the fact everything Ryanair does is being watched because of the other issues.

I understand that previously there was no offer to work from another base though so that is new for this year and I doubt that they would lose their social welfare benefits for refusing to work in another country since whilst social welfare can dock you for turning down work, if you have reasonable grounds for turning it down, which moving country would be reasonable, they will be happy to pay you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

devnull wrote: »
    From what I understand this is comjmon practice in Ryanair and has been happening for years and most staff would probably be aware of how it works, it's just being highlighted at the moment because of the fact everything Ryanair does is being watched because of the other issues.

I understand that previously there was no offer to work from another base though so that is new for this year and I doubt that they would lose their social welfare benefits for refusing to work in another country since whilst social welfare can dock you for turning down work, if you have reasonable grounds for turning it down, which moving country would be reasonable, they will be happy to pay you.

Well I would hope that they would receive their SW entitlements but it is strange that this element was brought into this saga and reported by top quality media analysts. So what is MOL playing at? Bullying them into a corner and hoping he doesn't have the same mess on his hands as he does with the pilots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They would get their 6 weeks dole. Of course FR are trying to say that they offered them work in Germany.

A dole inspector would not consider an offer of work 1000 miles from their normal base as reasonable. They would receive their entitlements.
    Thanks. This is the answer to my question. They would certainly be entitled to social welfare, I was they enforce employees to take holidays for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Link to flightrights site, which is maintained by the aviation regulator for Ireland, with details of compensation issues and where to claim if the cancelled flight did not originate in Ireland

https://www.flightrights.ie/news/ryanair-flight-cancellations-compensation-update.779.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

But if they don't take up the offer of working in other locations as most likely stipulated in their contracts they will be breaking their contract so this will effect their continuous right to employment. So they will have no job to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I understand they pay Irish PRSI. Would that mean someone laid off for say 6 weeks in Holland has to wait for the Dutch SW to confirm that they are entitled to Irish SW? Or do they have to come to Ireland to claim UB? Or do they claim Dutch UB (might have stricter/different rules than we have) in the grounds they have paid social insurance within the EU?

I understand that anyone working in Ireland (afaik cabin crew are classed as Irish workers) are entitled to claim Irish family allowance, even if the child is in their home country. That's been the case for 20 years now, but don't know about UB.

Either way sounds messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

joeysoap wrote:
    I understand they pay Irish PRSI. Would that mean someone laid off for say 6 weeks in Holland has to wait for the Dutch SW to confirm that they are entitled to Irish SW? Or do they have to come to Ireland to claim UB? Or do they claim Dutch UB (might have stricter/different rules than we have) in the grounds they have paid social insurance within the EU?

joeysoap wrote:
    I understand that anyone working in Ireland (afaik cabin crew are classed as Irish workers) are entitled to claim Irish family allowance, even if the child is in their home country. That's been the case for 20 years now, but don't know about UB.

It is messy indeed, I enquired here about JB situation if moving to Netherlands for 6 months contract (unrelated to aviation), got nothing concrete, asked SW, guess what, got no response whatsoever.

So far I figured out it was safer to sit on JB and look for jobs here with added bonus of free springboard course.

When moving to another EU country one is effectively in similar position as others coming to Ireland with habitual residence condition etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Another Ryanair cabin crew offering their point of view in the paper:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/passengers-see-our-ryanair-uniforms-and-think-we-are-out-to-screw-them-1.3234310

Difficult to know how representative of the general opinion of the staff those things are ... but they all seem to go the same direction and to indicate things have been heating up for a while and haven’t cooled down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Bob24 wrote:
    Difficult to know how representative of te general opinion of the staff those things are ... but the all seem to go the same direction and to indicate things have been heating up for a while and haven’t cooled down.

The entirety of that article is true, until it got to the part where Ryanair are quoted, which is all lies. "18hrs a week" is the biggest insult to any one who has ever worked for the company. Ryanair maths: 5x12hr shifts per week = 18hrs per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Assertive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Dardania wrote: »
    Assertive

A characteristic that has been distinctly lacking on behalf of the IAA throughout this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

1123heavy wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »
    Assertive

A characteristic that has been distinctly lacking on behalf of the IAA throughout this debacle.

I wonder if they’re in there inexperienced compared to their British brethren...
    albeit it was the IAA that pushed Ryanair to adopt the Jan to December year rather than April to April

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Some indication that winter flights are being dropped. Appears that these will be sold as "schedule changes" rather cancellations but there is not much difference for the passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Very similar to the strongly worded letter the IAA would have also sent them... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

embraer170 wrote: »
    Some indication that winter flights are being dropped. Appears that these will be sold as "schedule changes" rather cancellations but there is not much difference for the passengers

Any source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Any source for this?

Heard that also today. I wonder if the caa intentionally put up listed Mick's email address?

• Advertisement

Summer 18 appears to be unbookable now. Also domestic UK routes as soon as next month have disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MollsGap

How much has the total debacle cost Ryanair at this point does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I wonder if the caa intentionally put up listed Mick's email address?

Wouldn’t have taken much guesswork to figure it out to be fair, so I assume he’s not trying to hide it and has someone filtering incoming messages for him.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Summer 18 appears to be unbookable now. Also domestic UK routes as soon as next month have disappeared.

Along with all Polish domestic routes. A lot of cuts at other bases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Summer schedules back now, no changes from my brief look. I'd say it was more a technicality as opposed to conspiracy.

Flights are being reloaded to the website will be back up by tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Along with all Polish domestic routes. A lot of cuts at other bases too.

Polish domestic routes is about something completely different, unrelated to these cancellations.

devnull wrote: »
    Polish domestic routes is about something completely different, unrelated to these cancellations.

Ryanair claims it is a disagreement with the owners of Chopin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ryanair claims it is a disagreement with the owners of Chopin airport.

To be fair to Ryanair what's happening here is disgraceful, the owners of Chopin are deliberately preventing expansion in Modlin and causing severe delays to ops at Chopin. They have openly said they do not want Ryanair.

I don't know how they're getting away with it with the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Heard that also today. I wonder if the caa intentionally put up listed Mick's email address?

Thats not his e-mail address

Advertisement