Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be fair to Ryanair what's happening here is disgraceful, the owners of Chopin are deliberately preventing expansion in Modlin and causing severe delays to ops at Chopin. They have openly said they do not want Ryanair.

I don't know how they're getting away with it with the EU.

It is certainly a disgrace.

But it also sounds like how Ryanair sometimes treats their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats not his e-mail address

That address has been public for a decade and a half. I presume it goes to customer care at this stage.

Senior execs in large companies with consumer customers use random addresses these days, sometimes ones that alter frequently over time - the internal address list will let staff find them and external people rarely contact them directly. Finding out their PA is much more useful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be fair to Ryanair what's happening here is disgraceful, the owners of Chopin are deliberately preventing expansion in Modlin and causing severe delays to ops at Chopin. They have openly said they do not want Ryanair.

I don't know how they're getting away with it with the EU.

There was a vote last week, 70% of shareholders voted to expand Modlin and Polish State Airports, who own 30% blocked it and also blocked Modlin taking out a bank loan to pay for repairs to taxiways which could cause problems if their condition was to get even worse.

Polish State Airports have said this week that they are willing to approve and fund the expansion of Modlin, on the condition that all the other shareholders sell out to them and they will then run a double airport strategy with Chopin Airport and a steep rise to charges in Modlin and a reduction of Ryanair flights.

Chopin is simply that they're being given the furthest away gates from the terminal every time and delays with ground handling and stairs, buses and all sorts of things were happening from what has been reported, essentially it was believed that Ryanair would start running some routes from Chopin Airport when Modlin has become full.

It's worth remembering that LOT in the last year or so was recently bailed out by the Polish State who also own all the shares in Chopin Airport and most people believe that LOT would be the one that would lose out the most from Ryanair expanding at Modlin and the domestic flights at Chopin to Warsaw and Gdansk saw a lot of bleed to Ryanair as well as the state owned rail service bleeding to Ryanair.

Anyway, back on topic, the summer flights for all the routes that are due to run appear to be back on, from reading around it seems that they were making some changes, no idea what they were, has anyone seen anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone explain how cabin crew are only getting paid for flying time and not the time they actually work? Like how can that actually be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how cabin crew are only getting paid for flying time and not the time they actually work? Like how can that actually be legal?

One of their cabin crew said this on talk to Joe a number of years ago. If true it's terrible. As I posted earlier Aer Lingus staff are not particularly fond of standby duty (would much prefer to be flying) but they are paid. Doesn't count towards their 900 'flying hours' . Only the actual time in the air counts towards this 900 but they are paid a basic salary regardless of what duty they are on. By all accounts most hit the 900 figure.

• Advertisement

Vouchers are now being emailed out to all those who had flights cancelled.

£40/€40 per cancelled flight per passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

devnull wrote: »
    Vouchers are now being emailed out to all those who had flights cancelled.

£40/€40 per cancelled flight per passenger.

Is that for people who don’t qualify for EU compensation because cancellations were announced early enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

If your ticket was €9.99 you might be happy/less annoyed with the voucher. If your ticket was €39.99 you might not be so happy.
    If you are not happy with the voucher and the Customer Support staff have no latitude to offer you an alternative your voice might begin to rise as the call to Customer Support progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Does accepting the voucher disqualify you for EU261 compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Looks like the domestic routes have been pulled. I booked a Belfast to Gatwick flight yesterday morning that's now been cancelled.

• Advertisement

The BHD-LGW flights were using remedy slots from the IAG takeover of Aer Lingus - they will revert to IAG (think they were BA slots rather than EI slots) if not used. Gatwick is slot constrained although the value is a fraction of LHR.

L1011 wrote: »
    The BHD-LGW flights were using remedy slots from the IAG takeover of Aer Lingus - they will revert to IAG (think they were BA slots rather than EI slots) if not used. Gatwick is slot constrained although the value is a fraction of LHR.

This was BFS. Haven't been able to fly LGW to BHD in about a year?

ETA that their twitter Rep has confirmed some knock flights will not operate for the same dates, in particular Bristol - Knock

misslt wrote: »
    This was BFS. Haven't been able to fly LGW to BHD in about a year?

Whichever airport it is, the slots are remedy slots. The UK required a Belfast airport to a London airport to be offered.

Whichever airport it is, the slots are remedy slots. The UK required a Belfast airport to a London airport to be offered.

As in they might not re-instate the route in future? Would be such a shame, easy jet are way more expensive and I've actually had great experiences flying Ryanair to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats not his e-mail address

I heard it was
    fr336@ryanair.com
    :cool:;)

misslt wrote: »
    As in they might not re-instate the route in future? Would be such a shame, easy jet are way more expensive and I've actually had great experiences flying Ryanair to Belfast.

Considering they cancelled all UK domestic flights; its likely that they don't see any advantage in fighting to be able to do them after Brexit. The most likely aviation settlement will allow EU airlines to fly to the UK from anywhere in the EU but domestic flights by them will almost certainly not be allowed.

However, in the case of NI flights I would have expected fudging to allow Irish airlines.

Massive announcement here:
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-end-rostering-cancellations-by-slowing-growth-this-winter/

Too long to paste.

Essentially
    - another 400k flights cancelled to prevent issues in the next 12 months.
    - €40 voucher in addition to EU261/refunds/rebooking
    - 25 less aircraft in Winter program
    - 10 less aircraft next summer
    - €10k increase to Captain €5k First Officer in Dublin, Stansted, Berlin and Frankfurt, meetings to take place in other bases.
    - 100 Captains left, 160 First officers
    - Pulled out of Alitalia takeover and eliminatng other management distractions

Following routes cancelled for winter
    Bucharest – Palermo
    Chania – Athens
    Chania – Pafos
    Chania – Thessaloniki
    Cologne – Berlin (SXF)
    Edinburgh – Szczecin
    Glasgow – Las Palmas
    Hamburg – Edinburgh
    Hamburg – Katowice
    Hamburg – Oslo (TRF)
    Hamburg – Thessaloniki
    Hamburg – Venice (TSF)
    London (LGW) – Belfast
    London (STN) – Edinburgh
    London (STN) – Glasgow
    Newcastle – Faro
    Newcastle – Gdansk
    Sofia – Castellon
    Sofia – Memmingen
    Sofia – Pisa
    Sofia – Stockholm (NYO)
    Sofia – Venice (TSF)
    Thessaloniki – Bratislava
    Thessaloniki – Paris BVA
    Thessaloniki – Warsaw (WMI)
    Trapani – Baden Baden
    Trapani – Frankfurt (HHN)
    Trapani – Genoa
    Trapani – Krakow
    Trapani – Parma
    Trapani – Rome FIU
    Trapani – Trieste
    Wroclaw – Warsaw
    Gdansk – Warsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

devnull wrote: »
    Massive announcement here:
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-end-rostering-cancellations-by-slowing-growth-this-winter/

Too long to paste.

Essentially another 400k flights cancelled to prevent issues in the next 12 months.

A formidable statement and course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Wow, thats a lot of cancellations. Have the €10k/5k increases ended the pilot insurrection? Or are the bases still making noises about proper contracts, unionization etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Jesus I'm sorry I booked flights with them now.
    I took them at their word that it was a one off. I should have booked with other airlines. Better chance of flying.
    Fuk you Ryanair. Can't believe a word from you now.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    A formidable statement and course of action.
    Right or wrong, they certainly don't become paralysed with fear in the face of adversity.
    I booked some more Ryanair flights for next year because they're cheap for a weekend that would be expensive with other Airlines.
    My wager flight hasn't been cancelled.
    My friend arrived in on a cheap aer lingus flight on Saturday morning and left on a cheap Ryanair flight on sunday night.
    It is all blown out of proportion but if I was one of the small percentage affected my I'd be annoyed.

This is what they needed to do at or very damn near the start - though the second set of statements and the decent window of cancellations given then was a huge improvement over the mess at the start.

Parking 25 craft over winter is probably only a bit over normal; leaving 10 on the ground in summer is going to feel very strange for MOL though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's laughable that MOL still has a job. Bunch of cowboys Ted.

leaving 10 on the ground in summer is going to feel very strange for MOL though!
    I'm sure he'll find some way to sweat the gold, be it using them for charters or forced repatriation services or extraordinary rendition flights...think about it, is there anything less conspicuous at an airport than a Ryanair 737....or just save some money by rotating aircraft for maintenance so that he needs fewer maintenance staff in Winter 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Isn't the whole point that they cannot fly these aircraft due to crew shortages? They're not taking them off just to piss people off and operate charters!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

So got the dreaded email. Flight for November cancelled! Now What? Just try to book another airline. Is there a refund?

737max wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll find some way to sweat the gold, be it using them for charters or forced repatriation services or extraordinary rendition flights...think about it, is there anything less conspicuous at an airport than a Ryanair 737....or just save some money by rotating aircraft for maintenance so that he needs fewer maintenance staff in Winter 2018.

They don't have enough pilots to fly them!

They don't have enough pilots to fly them!
    Don't worry, all the extraordinary rendition flights will be done off the books. You won't even find flight plans for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mad that people would still book with Ryanair with all this uncertainty and unpredictability.

Maybe the low cost business model is not sustainable? Or as a society do we need €9.99 flights on a red eye to remote airports?

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Or as a society do we need €9.99 flights on a red eye to remote airports?

Believe it or not, not everyone lives in big cities...

Advertisement