Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Savman wrote: »
    Mad that people would still book with Ryanair with all this uncertainty and unpredictability.

Maybe the low cost business model is not sustainable? Or as a society do we need €9.99 flights on a red eye to remote airports?
    red eye flights mean I save a day of holidays even if I'm a zombie in work the next day. what is remote for you isn't any more remote for me than the major international airport in the locality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who has booked a flight with Ryanair since this sh1t show kicked off.

Only way I'd book a flight with them no is if it wasn't very important, visit to the sister maybe. No accommodation etc involved.

The only reason MOL is going to change things is if people stop booking. Otherwise he'll continue on his merry way treating staff and customers whatever way he sees fit.

I booked flights the other day for Christmas and paid 140 more for the privilege of going with Aer Lingus and I don't mind one bit. No way would I be worrying up to two days beforehand that the flight could be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Half a million passengers have their plans ruined because O'Leary is too pig headed to sit down and negotiate decent conditions for his pilots.

Swear to God. That fellow would rather see the airline go under than treat staff properly.

I hope the shareholders react as they should to this news!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pelvis wrote:
    It's laughable that MOL still has a job. Bunch of cowboys Ted.

The hundred plus million people flying with them in the coming year might disagree as they won't pay more to fly with alternatives.

I hope the shareholders react as they should to thud news!
    I have reacted by not selling my shares; Is that what you mean.
    Hopefully the cabin crew get a bit better paid as a result of the adverse publicity in the same way as the Pilots have received an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

i'm one of the many I suspect that have benefitted from the whole debacle

We we're sitting home last Friday and Mr's bazzys sister lives in Germany , in some rural village (I've never been) she was sending messages to a group chat about an event in November, She went online had Kerry to Frankfurt Hahn booked return for just under €40 return going out Friday and coming back Sunday

We coudnt get the train to Dublin for that price!

Bazzy wrote: »
    i'm one of the many I suspect that have benefitted from the whole debacle

We we're sitting home last Friday and Mr's bazzys sister lives in Germany , in some rural village (I've never been) she was sending messages to a group chat about an event in November, She went online had Kerry to Frankfurt Hahn booked return for just under €40 return going out Friday and coming back Sunday

We coudnt get the train to Dublin for that price!

And what makes you think the flight will take off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't worry, all the extraordinary rendition flights will be done off the books. You won't even find flight plans for them.

I honestly don't know what you're on about.
    Or as a society do we need €9.99 flights on a red eye to remote airports

Ryanair don't operate red-eyes.
    I booked flights the other day for Christmas and paid 140 more for the privilege of going with Aer Lingus and I don't mind one bit. No way would I be worrying up to two days beforehand that the flight could be cancelled.

Personally, I'd rather keep the 140 and fly EI. Also, I wouldn't fly Aer Lingus transatlantic routes in that case, namely the Shannon ones, they're often cancelled at short notice for days on end when aircraft go tech.

These winter cuts aren't a massive deal, people are getting months of notice. Routes are often cut at these notices for the winter season, the only reason we see outrage now is because it's Ryanair.

I think we're getting into somewhat petty territory now. Ryanair's disgraceful behaviour of cancelling flights a few days in advance has now finished. Pilots are voting with their feet and leaving, rightly so, may cop the airline on a bit. However this hatefest I'm seeing is excessive.

pilly wrote: »

Why wouldn't it? All winter cancellations have been confirmed, hence unless weather or technical issues hamper it I can't see why it wouldn't takeoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Flights after 22:00 from mainland Europe or before 06:30 leaving Ireland are close enough to red eye for me and my friends turning up in work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ryanair don't operate red-eyes. 6 - 6:30am isnt redeye :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I'm missing the link between the pilot holiday booboo this autumn, and the need to ground flights next summer.
    Anybody ? Michael ?

pilly wrote: »

In the grand scale of things very few flights have been cancelled if you look at the big picture

If they do get cancelled I get a refund and i'll have to wait a bit longer to drink German beer

If they don't its winner winner chicken dinner

I'm missing the link between the pilot holiday booboo this autumn, and the need to ground flights next summer.
    Anybody ? Michael ?

He's making sure the same thing wont happen again

Sensible i'm sure you'll agree

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I suggest you look at the origins of the expression. We wouldn't be anywhere near bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when arriving in work after one of those late night or early morning flights with Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It is for me!!

I honestly don't know what you're on about.

Personally, I'd rather keep the 140 and fly EI. Also, I wouldn't fly Aer Lingus transatlantic routes in that case, namely the Shannon ones, they're often cancelled at short notice for days on end when aircraft go tech.

These winter cuts aren't a massive deal, people are getting months of notice. Routes are often cut at these notices for the winter season, the only reason we see outrage now is because it's Ryanair.

I think we're getting into somewhat petty territory now. Ryanair's disgraceful behaviour of cancelling flights a few days in advance has now finished. Pilots are voting with their feet and leaving, rightly so, may cop the airline on a bit. However this hatefest I'm seeing is excessive.

Not a hatefest at all, just stating facts. And the fact is that there's now more chance of Ryanair flight getting cancelled than an Aer Lingus one.

I'm not flying transatlantic so not sure what that point is about? If I was Ryanair wouldn't be an option?

You're stating that Ryanairs' disgraceful behaviour of cancelling flights a few days in advance has now finished like it's a fact? It's quite simply not a fact because the issues haven't been resolved. Any number of pilots could still walk in the next few months.

Also even after the fact of cancelling the flights they're making a complete balls of everything else. I'll give you a great example.

One of the lads I work with, his father died the Thursday before last, he had to go to the airport to book the flight because you can't book online with less than 24 hours notice. Went to the airport, paid 854 for 4 of them to go the following day to Milan with a flight after that on to Latvia as this was his only option at late notice.

Went to check in following day, flight cancelled. Only option offered was to go 2 days later when the funeral would be over. Got a refund for initial flight minus the 20 euro booking fee they accepted at the airport. Will not get a refund for the connecting flights or return flights. So all in all he's 2k down so far and didn't make it to his fathers funeral. Fcuking sinful that they could take a booking for a flight less than 24 hours before they cancel it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

When you get to the checkout page where you enter the card details it should show it as free if you use the link that you were sent.

• Advertisement

737max wrote: »
    Flights after 22:00 from mainland Europe or before 06:30 leaving Ireland are close enough to red eye for me and my friends turning up in work

"A red-eye flight is any flight departing late at night and arriving early the next morning."

You don't get to change the definition of a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

All winter cancellations have been confirmed, hence unless weather or technical issues hamper it I can't see why it wouldn't takeoff.

That’s what was said after they cancelled the first few days. And what was said again after it snowballed and they cancelled the first 2 months. It is now snowballing a second time and creeping into next year’s schedule. At this stage I don’t think anyone should take it for granted that there will be no additional cancellations to the ones which have already been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

Hopefully somebody can help...

We just got the email as well, flight is cancelled...

but, only the outbound flight.

if we cancel, will we get a full refund?

and, as we paid for seats, and baggage, i assume they will be refunded as well?

i called, and off course, due to extremely high call volumes, no answer.

Hopefully somebody can help...

We just got the email as well, flight is cancelled...

but, only the outbound flight.

if we cancel, will we get a full refund?

and, was we paid for seats, and baggage, i assume they will be refunded as well?

i called, and off course, due to extremely high call volumes, no answer.

If you booked them on one booking yes you will get a full refund. If separately then no.

"A red-eye flight is any flight departing late at night and arriving early the next morning."

You don't get to change the definition of a word!
    FR7355 as an example would meet your chosen strict definition. You don't get to shout down everyone else. The general understanding is that it is a flight leaving late at night.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/red-eye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

I had an email cancelling the return leg of a Dublin- Birmingham flight in December.

There was no mention of a voucher .

Any idea does the voucher apply regardless of the option taken (switch to a different flight or take a refund)?

My best option is to use the outward leg and claim a refund for the return, booking return with Aer Lingus.

A €40 voucher would come in very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

737max wrote: »
    FR7355 as an example would meet your chosen strict definition. You don't get to shout down everyone else. The general understanding is that it is a flight leaving late at night.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/red-eye

A long-distance flight leaving late at night I think you mean. The 22:30 to Dublin from Liverpool is hardly a red-eye :pac:

You have red-eyes because you were on a plane all night instead of in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I think the voucher is only if you're within 14 days of flying when its cancelled. No additional compensation for flights after 28 October, just a refund or rebook onto next available flight.

Jesus Christ does it really matter what a red eye is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hi all

I am off in the coming weeks (Amsterdam) and haven't heard that the flight is cancelled. Am I safe to assume that we are good to go or should I contact Ryanair? Their online chat system has been consistently busy and won't let me ask them.

Thanks

Advertisement