Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BZ wrote: »
    I was due to fly to Nice from DUB on Tuesday and back again Thursday night. Return flight Thursday has been cancelled. Got a text message to urgently check my email regarding a cancellation on my trip. So they are texting people notifications aswell as email.

If one flight gets cancelled, can you claim compensation if return was booked. I'm concerned as have holidays booked in Spain in the next few weeks and bizarrely it looks like people are going to be kept in suspense until the day before flights to see if their plans are still valid or not.

The ineptitude is incredible? Perhaps only 2% of flights will be cancelled but 100% of passengers don't know if they will be the ones disrupted for the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Have holidays booked for mid oct. Would it be possible to cancel flights ans rebook with another airline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Noxegon

BZ wrote: »
    The ineptitude is incredible? Perhaps only 2% of flights will be cancelled but 100% of passengers don't know if they will be the ones disrupted for the next 6 weeks.

This. I have several flights booked on Ryanair between now and the end of October. While cancellations are a pain I can make my own arrangements when given enough notice. 48 hours is not enough notice.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Loueln wrote: »
    Am really dissapointed. Flight cancelled with less than 48 hours notice and no explanation. Family upset. Ryanair livechat appear to be arranging alternative flight with one connection, then when asked to complete the deal then offer only flight into same country, hire car and they may no offer re-imbursement. He then transfers to other agent who asked for detailed account of previous chat and then cut us off while typing after less than 30 seconds
    Now hotel are fully paid and too late to cancel, tickets to Museums bought and bus tickets bought. And they knew this was coming :(
    They won't even give a reason for cancellation. Probably claim it was beyond their control

Smile, you're famous!

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/appalling-treatment-ryanair-passengers-vent-fury-as-airline-to-cancel-up-to-50-flights-a-day-for-next-six-weeks-36136828.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I think this will really hurt RyanAir long-term. I'm flying with them within the period, and I'm bricking it— I really, really don't like uncertainty when it comes to my travel arrangements! I'm not the adventurous sort, so the prospect of being in a foreign country and having to find accommodation for a night or two on short notice is my idea of a nightmare.

That they have to cancel flights is one thing; there will always be problems, and as a customer I understand that. What I can't understand —or forgive— is that they know they will have to cancel X number of flights a day until X date, but are letting everyone sit uncertainly wondering if it'll affect them or not. Why in god's name are they giving people such short notice for it?! Why can't they decide which flights they're culling now, and give people time to make alternative arrangements?

For their lower prices, I have no problem with things like an ugly website and aircraft interior, horns blaring on arrival, and inflexibility when the customer makes a mistake, but with this it seems like the mistake was booking with them in the first place. Next time I have the option of RyanAir or another carrier, they would want to be a lot lower on price for me to choose them— a lot more than they have been for most of my recent trips. I can't be dealing with this kind of uncertainty for the sake of a hundred odd quid, especially when you could end up out of pocket by a lot more than that at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Paully D wrote: »
    Friday and Saturday cancellations, per The Irish Times.

Many surprises there or are many of the routes what you would expect to go in this situation?
    <SNIP>

I wonder if it can be assumed that these same flights will be cancelled for the next number if Fridays and Saturdays too? It's not clear from the IT report whether it's just this weekend if if this list is ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I wonder if it can be assumed that these same flights will be cancelled for the next number if Fridays and Saturdays too? It's not clear from the IT report whether it's just this weekend if if this list is ongoing.

Just this Friday and Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Loueln

Won't be buying the independent again either.
    Just to update, one of the agent finally gave a reason for cancellation, "Muhammad:that is correct complete reservation will be funded Flight has been canceled due to technical reasons as far as we know."
    the rest of the transcript makes interesting reading. May redact personal information and post later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Love the way their live chat id gone offline..i never had a problem with ryanair before but i do now. Id like to make alternative arrangements coz i simply dont have the annual leave if im stranded aboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

devnull wrote: »
    That's very interesting:
    https://ryanair.workable.com/

Note how that it's listing a whole batch of bases by name rather than the usual be assigned a base routine and a few of them specifically mention that they will be on full Ryanair direct employed contracts.

And there's an open day in Brazil.

Mother of divine, I've never seen so many jobs on offer. When your going to Brazil looking for pilots your in a world of manure me thinks re numbers.

Maybe it's the lack of customers rather than lack of staff? I'm a regular Ryanair passenger and I've seen my flights go up 50% in the past year. Thats before the new seat charges and baggage changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Love the way their live chat id gone offline..i never had a problem with ryanair before but i do now. Id like to make alternative arrangements coz i simply dont have the annual leave if im stranded aboard

This.

I'm travelling on Tuesday, and assume since I haven't had a message yet that the outbound flight is ok.

But a week later, I won't be popular in work if I don't show up on the Wednesday, and don't have the annual leave to spare anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Mother of divine, I've never seen so many jobs on offer. When your going to Brazil looking for pilots your in a world of manure me thinks re numbers.

I actually have a Brazilian colleague at work (we work in IT) who told me Ryanair is also actively recruiting IT staff, marketing people, and customer service reps in Brazil.

I'm missing something here: while I find this qestionable I get that they are trying get staff from less well-off countries who will be ready to accept lower pay and poorer conditions than the local workforce, but why the seemingly strong focus on Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

At a family event in Ireland last week, everyone coming from overseas had taken Ryanair flights and every one of them had been delayed. Same again on the return trips. Both of my flights were delayed, and there were no particularly unusual weather or ATC events on either day. I said to my son that delayed flights seems to be the new normal for this supposedly friendlier Ryanair.

Once upon a time, I would have been a fervent Ryanair supporter, giving them a 9 or a 10 for "satisfaction" and would have chosen them (and the crappy airports they served) in preference to any other company. Now I'd say I'm down to a 5 and the main reason I still fly with them is because they're the only airline that serves the middle-of-nowhere airports where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Doesn't say much for RyanAir management or HR dept. if they can't sort out their staff rostering plan? But the nuclear option of just grounding aircraft and forcing staff to take leave is the easier i.e. lazy option ! Sure the pleb customers will shout and bawl for a few days but we'll be welcoming onboard again when the furore over this dies down - cheap flights talk and RyanAir know this - doesn't matter how sh***y they treat their customers , we'll still fly with them. Arrogance personified

The keep blaming this exclusively on circonstances beyond their control: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/confusion-for-passengers-as-ryanair-cancels-thousands-of-flights-1.3222946

Things is, all the circompstance they quote (regulatory environment, weather, ATC strikes) would apply to every airline and not just Ryanair. Yet only Ryanair is massively cancelling flights suposedly to those. Their denial culture is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Doesn't say much for RyanAir management or HR dept. if they can't sort out their staff rostering plan? But the nuclear option of just grounding aircraft and forcing staff to take leave is the easier i.e. lazy option ! Sure the pleb customers will shout and bawl for a few days but we'll be welcoming onboard again when the furore over this dies down - cheap flights talk and RyanAir know this - doesn't matter how sh***y they treat their customers , we'll still fly with them. Arrogance personified

Ryanair not just messed up their scheduling they've lost hundreds of pilots to other airlines who are offering better T&Cs, proper pilot contacts with holidays and sick pay, salary and pension options. Pilots are being snapped up by Jet2, Norwegian, SAS etc.
    I hope this means Ryanair will have to call time on their crappy means of employment with "self employed" contracts etc and actually offer staff meaningful remuneration like everyone else

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Bob24 wrote: »
    Things is, all the circompstance they quote (regulatory environment, weather, ATC strikes) would apply to every airline and not just Ryanair. Yet only Ryanair is massively cancelling flights to to them. They denial culture is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

2% isn't massive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Things is, all the circompstance they quote (regulatory environment, weather, ATC strikes) would apply to every airline and not just Ryanair. Yet only Ryanair is massively cancelling flights to to them. They denial culture is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

2% isn't massive.

That's they Ryanair figure, media research suggests more, and it's a lot when you consider that's up to 60 flights per day, each flight having up to 189 people onboard. That's potentially 11340 people having their flight cancelled every single day for six weeks. That could be 45-50,000 people left stranded.

• Advertisement

2% isn't massive.

As a once-off it wouldn't be. But when you do it everyday for several weeks it is very significant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

2% isn't massive.

I would agree if they announced what flights exactly were impacted for the next 2 months now but they haven't done that and as a result every single flight is impacted.

At the very least I would be calling for the head of the COO if I was a shareholder. The share price will drop a lot on Monday I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I actually have a Brazilian colleague at work (we work in IT) who told me Ryanair is also actively recruiting IT staff, marketing people, and customer service reps in Brazil.

I'm missing something here: while I find this qestionable I get that they are trying get staff from less well-off countries who will be ready to accept lower pay and poorer conditions than the local workforce, but why the seemingly strong focus on Brazil?

Brazil have a booming economy with many highly skilled individuals in the workforce, I assume this played a part in that for the IT etc. For the pilots in particular there is a fairly large 737 operation in Brazil in the form of GOL airlines who easily have a pool of over 1500 737 pilots.

They haven't just been to brazil though, they've also been to Doha in Qatar within the last 2 months, presumably to try and attract the numerous guys out there.

I don't know how many here are on Linkedin but if you're connected to Mark Duffy, their head of talent acquisiton, he has been posting pilot recruitment ads ferociously in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jimbojetdriver

Delighted this is finally happening. Sorry to all those affected but this has been a long time coming. 

I was a pilot with Ryanair for 5 years, I had no choice but to resign after I did my command upgrade. It's hard to believe but I was actually going to be getting a lower take home pay as a captain in my new eastern European base then I was as a "contractor" first officer at my home base. Lasted less then a month before I told them to shove it and left for somewhere far better.

The job market has changed, there is now a massive demand for experienced pilots. When I left I had three different offers lined up. O' Leary was right, he has thousands of pilots trying to get into Ryanair, only problem is that they are all 200 hour guys fresh out of flight school having flown nothing more then a light twin. All need months of training just to get to line standard, then years more experience before even being considered for command.

This breaking news is just what has been released to the public, in reality things are far worse. I'm on holidays next month, researching weekend breaks away,  but would never have risked a booking with Ryanair considering what I have been told by friends still there. Some of the whatsapp stories going around the last few months are shocking. 

If the recent bunch of resignations in Dublin base is anything to go by, even loyal guys based at home bases have now had enough of the treatment and are leaving for commuting jobs. 

The only way out of this is a change of management. Not possible to continue with a CEO that openly hates pilots and completely refuses to engage with them. There are thousands of experienced guys that left for the sandpit. A lot may be tempted to return but won't ever consider it as long as he is in charge, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

The gear ain't extending for Ryanair and looks like they'll have to make a belly-landing, hopefully in the form of some T&Cs that aren't inhumane! Very happy to see this falling apart at long last. To everyone buying into the ''ATC'' delays and the like, they're just covering their arses as usual, and the 'holiday backlog' has nothing to do with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I have noticed over the last while in interviews that Michael o Leary has given that they are currently buying back as much shares as they can. He had said this several times. I am sure this has nothing to do with the current situation but if the shares are hit badly by this it will become alot cheaper for them to buy them back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

roadmaster wrote: »
    I have noticed over the last while in interviews that Michael o Leary has given that they are currently buying back as much shares as they can. He had said this several times. I am sure this has nothing to do with the current situation but if the shares are hit badly by this it will become alot cheaper for them to buy them back

I think this has more to do with Brexit and getting back to being 50% owned by European shareholders. He needs to buy back his UK stock to avoid being considered a UK airline.....

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

So now all the scary talk from MOL about brexit causing Ryanair to have to cancel hundreds of routes is exposed as just fluff to cover up what is really going on. Ryanair are being forced to cut flights/routes, due to their own bad business decisions and not brexit at all.

I have 4 return flights to bokk between October and Christmas, which I would happily have booked with Ryanair.
    Im sorry MOL, but its just too dodgy to book flights with you now after this debacle. A few euro more with another airline is ok, as I consider it an insurance cost at this stage. You cant possibly book flights with Ryanair now, unless you are flexible enough to be able to live with cancelled flights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Once they are in to Winter schedule booking with them will be fine.
    November and December should be fine.
    September and October is a lottery(sic) as I mentioned before in this thread.

Advertisement