Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Wow. Thats quite a resignation/sacking. Hard to know where the blame for the fiasco lies: how much is O'Leary and his personal style and direction, how much Hickey making a major booboo, or how much was by anonymous underlings in the planning in and scheduling department (presumably squeezed for productivity and effort as on their own wages as pilots and cabin crew).
    Still. Its a decisive and quick action.

He's a C Level executive, I'm sure that he has more than the standard 4 week notice, it may have even been decided before this incident even happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

devnull wrote: »
    Wow. Thats quite a resignation/sacking. Hard to know where the blame for the fiasco lies: how much is O'Leary and his personal style and direction, how much Hickey making a major booboo, or how much was by anonymous underlings in the planning in and scheduling department (presumably squeezed for productivity and effort as on their own wages as pilots and cabin crew).
    Still. Its a decisive and quick action.

He's a C Level executive, I'm sure that he has more than the standard 4 week notice, it may have even been decided before this incident even happened!

At executive level notice periods in contracts don’t necessarily matter, especially at times of crisis. Terms of departure including notice period and possible financial packages are negotiated behind closed door.

It has to be connected with the latest events (either he was told to resign or he decided to leave b cause he doesn’t want to have to deal with some of the issues he is aware of). If it wasn’t related they would have arranged for a different timing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

According to RTE, he's staying on in an advisory capacity until his successor is in place, so I doubt he's going to Norwegian. There's no way we will know the exact reason for this particular piece of timing, but "interesting" would be one way to describe it.

My gut instinct is that this "bump in the road" is the biggest pothole that Ryanair have hit in the last 20 years, and I have this sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be over for quite some time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Very clever move to resign, that's if it was his choice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

May I make a comment or will my post be eavaporated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

devnull wrote: »

You're seriously clutching at straws now.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

My gut instinct is that this "bump in the road" is the biggest pothole that Ryanair have hit in the last 20 years, and I have this sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be over for quite some time.
    Is it though? I hand a short memory. Volcanic ash stands out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That's some letter from the pilots.

Is it though? I hand a short memory. Volcanic ash stands out for me.

If you only look at it terms of total number of flights cancelled yes it was (for now, the current issues are still ongoing and th number of cancellations could increase).

But I would still see the current situation as more of an issue for the airline because as opposed to the ashcloud:
    - it will affect their reputation
    - it is a problem of their own making and therefore questions their management
    - it only affects them and not the whole industry (competitors were equally affected by the ashcloud whereas here they aren’t and to some extend even benefit from ryanair’s issues)
    - it has already lasted for a longer period and has potential to last much longer
    - there is serious potential for it to escalate even more, including more staff departing and/or industrial action (staff seems increasingly defiant)

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Pilot's response to Michael's letter....

Where is this from?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Surely that letter is a hoax, the spelling / grammar errors are embarrassing and it has a very poor structure / flow. (Yes I make errors too but I’m not releasing a press statement which is apparently on behalf of 4000+ highly educated pilots). It’s needlessly aggressive.

Also have to laugh at the last line, the letter is likely from your typical bully union shop stewart who claims to represent everyone but in reality doesn’t. There is no way that they could have received feedback to MOLs letter from all the various pilot bases in that short a time span. It’s this type of behaviour that has caused the death of Unions in the private sector. If they don’t have fear / mistrust between each side they can’t justify their existence so they do their best to create it which is what they are trying to do here (my father paid union fees for years in a large MOR site and in the end the union shafted is with their elitism m, rules and bullying and cost a lot of jobs).

“You have addressed us as one so we reply as one.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

According to RTE, he's staying on in an advisory capacity until his successor is in place, so I doubt he's going to Norwegian.

Wherever he is going I hope he remembers to pass the "holiday list" around.

Wherever he is going I hope he remembers to pass the "holiday list" around.
    Sounds like a story in there we'd all like to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Bob24 wrote: »
    Where is this from?

The Pilots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

IALPA seem to be turning into the NBRU of the air. The amount of bull**** doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

In my opinion this thing has become personal at this stage, it’s not Ryanair the pilots are going to war against its MOL so in terms of this dispute it might have been better for the company if he’d stepped aside instead of the this guy, especially if his presence and persona are becoming a distraction and an obstacle to resolving the conflict. The press seems more interested in eliciting MOL’s views on the pilots perceived lifestyles instead of their grievances.
    Ryanair appeared to flourish when Kenny Jacobs came in and introduced the ‘always getting better’ campaign, customer satisfaction and profit boomed while O’Leary was nowhere to be seen. Now those two years have been completely undone, Jacobs is nowhere to be seen and our TV screens are full of MOL winding up the very people he needs to be winning over.

Interesting to see this week that Hong Kong Express cancelled eighteen flights last week in similar situations, the CEO was sacked and several senior managers have resigned. The airline license agency in HK has also warned them of possible sanction.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-hk-express-ceo/hong-kong-express-appoints-new-boss-after-flight-cancellations-idUKKCN1C9195
    http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/community/article/2113556/hong-kong-express-apologises-2070-passengers-affected

They really need to get a lid on this before it does lasting damage to their reputation and passenger confidence.
    I think they should be able to do this without the need for the unions.

degsie wrote: »
    Where is this from?

The Pilots?

“The pilots” doesn’t mean anything really. If there not source we don’t know which pilots (if any) are actually behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That letter 'from the pilots' has to be a windup. They have no need to get involved in a Trump style flame war of words with O'Leary. It's taken them a long time to get this far but they're clearly now holding all the aces.
    It's not like the company are struggling financially to survive, they make massive profits, they could easily redistribute some of those profits to buy the stability they need and write it off as 'the cost of doing business' or whatever. The days of rich shareholders getting richer and richer while the employees who help create that wealth struggle to make a decent living is something that should have gone out with eighteenth century mill owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

That letter 'from the pilots' has to be a windup. They have no need to get involved in a Trump style flame war of words with O'Leary. It's taken them a long time to get this far but they're clearly now holding all the aces.
    It's not like the company are struggling financially to survive, they make massive profits, they could easily redistribute some of those profits to buy the stability they need and write it off as 'the cost of doing business' or whatever. The days of rich shareholders getting richer and richer while the employees who help create that wealth struggle to make a decent living is something that should have gone out with eighteenth century mill owners.

That's the bit I don' t get. Profitability, yes. Massive profitability?

Ryanair's profits last year: €1,240,000,000. Staff share of profits? I don't know the answer.

I would expect most companies making that kind of profit would have a queue waiting to join and once in they would stay. I don't think I heard of employees of Google/Microsoft/ Facebook etc clamouring to unionise. Quite the opposite. By all accounts medical care, crèches etc are part of the package. Along with bonus payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Where is this from?

You'll note that the individual who posted it used the term "pilot's letter" rather than "pilots' letter".

The location of the apostrophe may be significant; or, alternatively perhaps the poster isn't all that hot on such grammatical subtleties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Turnipman wrote: »
    You'll note that the individual who posted it used the term "pilot's letter" rather than "pilots' letter".

The location of the apostrophe may be significant; or, alternatively perhaps the poster isn't all that hot on such grammatical subtleties!

I'm not sure where the poster got that letter from but it's clearly not helpful for their cause. It's clearly not something supposed to be released to the public and was probably intended to be a draft letter to go back to the pilot body about how to construct an official letter. It would not surprise me if an over enthusiastic staff member decided he wanted to be the man releasing stuff to the public early.

I would expect an official response in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

You're reading way too much into my (lack of) apostrophe placement skills there, grammar Nazi.

And for clarification, I am in no way connected to or affiliated with, Ryanair, IALPA, nor any other union.

Brennus335 wrote: »

for clarification, I am in no way connected to or affiliated with, Ryanair, IALPA, nor any other union.

So where did you get that letter from? Or did you scribble it off yourself?

(Because you failed to provide a source link.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note. Lately we have noticed a bit of a decline in the quality of and a bit too much heat in too many posts in A&A. Without being too specific, some recent happenings have led to considerable debate which is fine, but too often it has become very heated and strayed over the line.

We have a wonderful spectrum of topics covered in the forum which can make for some great discussion. We do have a wide range of opinions, levels of knowledge and experience from total novice to various professionals. We also have to contend with a lot of poor information due to the nature of the information flows in the industry and in the news media which is short of ideal.

With the above in mind, can I remind folks to be civil, enjoy the discussion despite differences and generally dial it down, and avoid silly stuff and petty bickering, where appropriate. As ever, a little bit of pause for thought before hitting the post button can go a long way to making the discussion better. So let's all remember to play nice and enjoy.

Cheers
    tD

Do not respond to this message on thread.

Good to see SIPTU's President Jack O'Connor getting involved!
    "Speaking to the Sunday Independent, SIPTU president, Jack O'Connor, says pilots are being denied their "fundamental right" to bargain collectively. "The only thing the O'Learys of this world understand is when it's put right up to them. "That's the currency in which he has always traded himself, and I hope the pilots beat him," he said.

SIPTU has done such great work for the LUAS, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail workers in the recent past - not to mention Jack's great work for the Irish Labour Party! - so his intervention is just what the Ryanair pilots need at this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

if you are posting sarcastically then please make it more obvious.

737max wrote: »
    if you are posting sarcastically then please make it more obvious.

But why would I be sarcastic? :confused:

It's almost Halloween and, as we all know, bonfires burn far more brightly when some eejit throws petrol on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

They've hired over 100 pilots in a month with 32 this week alone.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    They've hired over 100 pilots in a month with 32 this week alone.

What is the source for this? And I guess it doesn't tell us much unless we know how many pilots have left in the same period, i.e. was there a net gain or a net loss? (also by hiring new pilots is it meant operational pilots who can start flying shortly, or people who will need training?)

• Advertisement

But why would I be sarcastic? :confused:

It's almost Halloween and, as we all know, bonfires burn far more brightly when some eejit throws petrol on them.
    Any wagers on who will be the effigy in three weeks time? Or will it all have blown over?

Advertisement