Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think you are being a bit melodramatic about the risk of cancellation from Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I think you are being a bit melodramatic about the risk of cancellation from Ryanair

Not really when I have to be in a place on a certain date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

aaronm13 wrote: »

You’ve just answered your own question then...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Flying is never guarenteed. You've probably more of a chance now of not flying due to weather/technical issue than due to lack of crew with Ryanair.

I note there's been no short notice cancellations in many weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

You’ve just answered your own question then...

I know exactly where you are coming from but the only question I asked was are the Brussels flights affected. I don't know where the majority of cancellations are coming from so was wondering more than anything. I know there's no guarantee with flying as cancelations can happen for a variety of reasons. Anyway I have my prices so just book the tickets and hope for the best one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

aaronm13 wrote:

If you have to be there then I'd go Aer Lingus, I know I am at Christmas.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I know exactly where you are coming from but the only question I asked was are the Brussels flights affected. I don't know where the majority of cancellations are coming from so was wondering more than anything. I know there's no guarantee with flying as cancelations can happen for a variety of reasons. Anyway I have my prices so just book the tickets and hope for the best one way or another.

I don't recall any flights to Brussels being affected with the cancellations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

If it is absolutely time critical use Aer Lingus. If you are not that bothered and can suffer a cancellation use Ryanair.

I don't use Ryanair for any of my time sensitive travel needs. Ryanair Roulette is headwrecking.

Routlette? The cancellations with no notice were only over a very short period, every other cancellation had ample time to rebook! Plus a very very small amount of flights at that.

I wouldn't like to play the routlette you're playing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

JCX BXC wrote:
    Routlette? The cancellations with no notice were only over a very short period, every other cancellation had ample time to rebook! Plus a very very small amount of flights at that.

Ah come on, something like 350,000 people affected is not small.

Also having 2 weeks notice to rebook is of little consolation when the flights with Aer Lingus will be twice the price by then.

We don't know yet what's going to happen with the pilots. They know now that they have O Leary over a barrel and they're not going to miss that opportunity.

pilly wrote: »
    Ah come on, something like 350,000 people affected is not small.

Also having 2 weeks notice to rebook is of little consolation when the flights with Aer Lingus will be twice the price by then.

We don't know yet what's going to happen with the pilots. They know now that they have O Leary over a barrel and they're not going to miss that opportunity.

In relative terms it is, 2% of flights. If 2% of Aer Lingus flights were cancelled, nobody would notice! Most of the cancelled flights were given with several weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Let's just say there is a greater chance of a cancellation due to weather in February than Ryanair staff issues causing a cancellation in February

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In relation to the subject matter of this thread, ANY cancellation is an inconvenience to up to 200 people. If its weather related, or something like an ATC strike, the airline have very little or no control over that.

They do however have control over their schedules, and if they cannot then operate that schedule as a result of crewing issues, that is entirely the responsibility of the airline. Ryanair have had a serious problem in recent times due to a number of issues that seemingly caught them unaware of the problems, which has resulted in a dramatic change to their schedules, some of which happened at very short notice.

As far as we know, there have been very few short notice cancellations since the original batch, and it seems that the number of cancellations going forward was determined on the basis of the staff levels that would remain available to operate them. What we cannot know is if the numbers leaving Ryanair have stabilised, or if the current unrest has continued, and more are still leaving, which could lead to more cancellations going forward.

Either way, while significant criticism of Ryanair is appropriate, Airline bashing (of any airline) will not be tolerated, and recent exchanges have been very close to the limit of what is acceptable.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

More worrying is the fact that there doesn’t seem to have been any real conclusion to the original problem. The company offered the pilots a pay rise and this was overwhelmingly rejected, does this mean those pilots are planning to remain with Ryanair and don’t want any more pay for doing so or does this mean it wasn’t enough to entice them to remain...?
    I don’t know, but until there’s more certainty I won’t be using them between now and the end of the year. An extra hundred quid or so is a small price to pay their competitors to ensure I won’t be stranded somewhere or left wasting my time trying to recover out of pocket expenses for having to rearrange my travelling arrangements. Other people might think differently and that’s fine, I personally just don’t want the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Ryanair doesn't have to settle anything with the contractors. They'll be gone soon enough.

The message has gone out to the market for pilots; Ryanair are paying considerably more than before and as a pilot you'll definitely work up your hours as quickly as legally possible. Ryanair just has to make it through the next few months which happen to be low season and they'll be fine.
    It is a classic case for Ryanair of even bad publicity being good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

737max wrote: »
    Ryanair doesn't have to settle anything with the contractors. They'll be gone soon enough.

The message has gone out to the market for pilots; Ryanair are paying considerably more than before and as a pilot you'll definitely work up your hours as quickly as legally possible. Ryanair just has to make it through the next few months which happen to be low season and they'll be fine.
    It is a classic case for Ryanair of even bad publicity being good for them.

Is that not one of the demands/requests...?
    To allow those pilots who are contractors to become FTE’s if they so wish...?

If a contractor demands to become a full time employee I will cease to contract that contractor.

Interesting how all these unions are trying to agitate in a company where they are not represented/representative.

we are just going over old ground here now.

737max wrote:
    If a contractor demands to become a full time employee I will cease to contract that contractor.

Ryanair can't afford to fire a huge proportion of their pilots.

• Advertisement

contractors can be replaced either at contract end date or before then with a payment while other contractors can then take their place.

we've seen how decisively Ryanair respond to the knock on effects of their contracting problems. With no debts worth speaking of if any airline can afford to let contracts lapse with contractors then that airline is Ryanair.

Your perception of it and mine are completely different.

http://corporate.ryanair.com/about-us/ryanair-pilots/

can they "magic" up pilots overnight? No. can they spin up an adequate number over the quiet winter. Yes, definitely.

This issue has now been addressed. The agitators don't have the initiative. They never had but they convinced themselves that they had.

737max wrote:
    contractors can be replaced either at contract end date or before then with a payment while other contractors can then take their place.

You are failing to grasp the fact that Ryanair is severely short of experienced pilots.
    They cannot afford to let their contracts lapse as Ryanair needs them more than they need Ryanair.

Cancellations will continue well into next year and next Summer until management address thus issue.
    They have their heads in the sand and are hoping that throwing a couple of grand at it will solve the problem.
    Clearly thus is not working as Ryanairs largest bases are rejecting the "paydeal".

Yeah, that's the narrative the agitators are using.

737max wrote:
    can they "magic" up pilots overnight? No. can they spin up an adequate number over the quiet winter. Yes, definitely.

Funny, cause that pic in HQ shows a group of brand new cadets.

First officer shortages are rarely a problem for an airline.
    An adequate number of Captain's is the problem!

Investors in Ryanair will not approve of Management simply bribing Pilots as that undermines the cost base of the company.
    Investors in Ryanair are looking for long term growth based on competitive advantage they are not looking for annual dividends.
    Management know what is expected of them.

Funny, cause that pic in HQ shows a group of brand new cadets.
    show me the madman that would collect a group of pilots in HQ with more than two stripes on their sleeves rather than having them out and about earning money.

737max wrote:
    Investors in Ryanair will not approve of Management simply bribing Pilots as that undermines the cost base of the company. Investors in Ryanair are looking for long term growth based on competitive advantage they are not looking for annual dividends. Management know what is expected of them.

Ah come on, pull the other one!

That is exactly what Ryanair have been doing. Short term, one of cash payments. No contractual changes to basic salary. It's purely a once of payment to try and stem the exodus of pilots.
    And clearly it's not going to work as pilots en masse are rejecting theses deals as the sham for what they are.

Real long term stability will come from what the pilot body are requesting.
    Maybe investors should listen to their professional pilot body who have a vested interest in the company longterm rather than the lies from senior management.

• Advertisement

That pic is from a wings ceremony every new pilot attends at HQ. Captain's are required to attend too. Just none were recruited that week.

Advertisement