Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

737max wrote: »
    I'm a customer too and still flying with Ryanair. last flight with them was last week.

Fair play to you. :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't risk them unless it was a trip I didn't care about taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Ryanair have never let me down. Other airlines including Aer Lingus have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

737max wrote:
    Ryanair have never let me down. Other airlines including Aer Lingus have.

So you're either fiercely loyal or fiercely foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I fly with other airlines more than Ryanair but when it suits me to fly with them they have always been reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Have used FR twice in the last 3 weeks and cancellations never even entered my head.
    Come to think of it, the last cancelled flight I had was courtesy of EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I've a friend who works in the car industry and travels to the uk twice or 3 times a week he's a small operation and he cannot believe the value he is getting at the minute on flights

if I was affected greatly by it ( some of the stories I seen people missing funerals etc) i'd probably have a different view

But i'd say they're well over the worst of it now.

The noise maker pilots will be flushed out the same as every other big company

The deals people are getting on flights at the minute will really hep soften the blow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

pilly wrote: »
    I'm not going to do a maths lesson for people who can't be convinced that this has had no effect on their bottom line. :confused:

Seriously though, it's simple. All those cancelled flights = lost revenue. Compensation = costs. What's complicated about it?
    4% growth! Instead of 6% most business would take 2-3% growth annually as a positive but you seem to think thy kind of growth is negative

Current booking a up 2% on last year and their full year profit forecast has remained unchanged!

You show me a business with a large crisis like ryanair and with those kind of results and positive financial outlook

Fattes wrote: »
    4% growth! Instead of 6% most business would take 2-3% growth annually as a positive but you seem to think thy kind of growth is negative

Current booking a up 2% on last year and their full year profit forecast has remained unchanged!

You show me a business with a large crisis like ryanair and with those kind of results and positive financial outlook

Okay, I'll try and put it a simpler way for you.

Do you think they lost any revenue and incurred any costs due to the cancellations?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Bazzy wrote: »

The noise maker pilots will be flushed out the same as every other big company

I really hope you are not an employer! That's some attitude to have towards individuals who are standing up for their rights. But I bet you'd happily sit in the back of the aircraft on a really bad weather day and be glad you have the same noise making pilots up the front keeping you safe.

Okay, I'll try and put it a simpler way for you.

Do you think they lost any revenue and incurred any costs due to the cancellations?

I don't think, I know they did they even quoted the figure today!

Now as you have attempted to be condescending and simplistic, do you think they factor things and losses like this into their annual profit forecasts. Dam right they do.

Do you accept that their future bookings are up 2% on this time last year as stated.

Do you accept they still believe they will make their profit forecast of 1.2 - 1.4billion

You do realise they will still be taking delivery of every aircraft ordered, that they now have a waiting list on pilot applications.

They have managed the crisis and are moving on while meeting their forecasted growth and attempting further expansion into the voids left bye the collapse of air Berlin, Monarch and the Alitalia situation.

• Advertisement

I don't think, I know they did they even quoted the figure today!

Now as you have attempted to be condescending and simplistic, do you think they factor things and losses like this into their annual profit forecasts. Dam right they do.

Do you accept that their future bookings are up 2% on this time last year as stated.

Do you accept they still believe they will make their profit forecast of 1.2 - 1.4billion

You do realise they will still be taking delivery of every aircraft ordered, that they now have a waiting list on pilot applications.

They have managed the crisis and are moving on while meeting their forecasted growth and attempting further expansion into the voids left bye the collapse of air Berlin, Monarch and the Alitalia situation.

Your initial post says "not effecting the bottom line", hence my simplistic approach, I've proven you wrong, I rest my case.

Your initial post says "not effecting the bottom line", hence my simplistic approach, I've proven you wrong, I rest my case.

You want to show me where they failed to meet expected profits? Bottom Line = last line on the accounts that shows the Net profit or loss.

Today's statement clearly stated that profit forecasts were not impacted.

Your case is based on an opinion, the fact is the bottom line will be as expected at hear end

You want to show me where they failed to meet expected profits? Bottom Line = last line on the accounts that shows the Net profit or loss.

Today's statement clearly stated that profit forecasts were not impacted.

Your case is based on an opinion, the fact is the bottom line will be as expected at hear end

Jesus H, I know what a bottom line is, it's what I do for a living.

My case is not an opinion it's fact. Doesn't matter if they reached "expected profits" that is nothing more than a made up figure at the beginning of the year.

It's a fact that because of their rostering fcuk up/low staff morale/pilots leaving etc. they lost 25m. That's 25m that would be in the bottom line. It's not in the bottom line. Therefore bottom line is affected.

Jesus H, I know what a bottom line is, it's what I do for a living.

My case is not an opinion it's fact. Doesn't matter if they reached "expected profits" that is nothing more than a made up figure at the beginning of the year.

It's a fact that because of their rostering fcuk up/low staff morale/pilots leaving etc. they lost 25m. That's 25m that would be in the bottom line. It's not in the bottom line. Therefore bottom line is affected.

It's really reflected in their share price today! It's up! Based on today's news, so the markets disagree with you, the facts don't reflect the point your are attempting to illustrate and the outlook for their finances, market share and future expansion is excellent

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

........But i'd say they're well over the worst of it now..........

The deals people are getting on flights at the minute will really hep soften the blow
    This situation was predicted in the 1st couple of pages of the thread. People will vote with their wallet at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I don't see any deals.

Prices if anything have increased from my POV.

It was only weekdays I think, you’re not looking at weekends by any chance?

Deatr wrote: »
    I really hope you are not an employer! That's some attitude to have towards individuals who are standing up for their rights. But I bet you'd happily sit in the back of the aircraft on a really bad weather day and be glad you have the same noise making pilots up the front keeping you safe.

The pilots knew what they we're getting into before they signed up they weren't kidnapped at gun point and forced to fly the planes.

If they don't like the terms and conditions being offered they don't take the job its as simple as that.

These people are well educated professional people on any day they should be at the top of their game, Does their reward match their effort thats not for me to decide.

But what I have said will happen.

Ryanair have a grip on it now and I guarantee the noise makers will push or be jumped or will become very quiet very quickly.

Why are you still looking if they have "Lost you forever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A mystery letter from a group of Eurowings (Lufthansa cheapo airline) staff to soon to be redundant Air Berlin staff, were warning them of sharp practices there and that Ryanair was paying better wages with better conditions.
    Air Berlin staff need to re-apply for their jobs with the takeover by Eurowings.

I had to double check that they werent talking about Ryanair, but no, seemingly Eurowings cuts even more corners than Ryanair . (in german, so turn on the google translate)
    http://www.rp-online.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/eurowings-mitarbeiter-warnen-air-berlin-kollegen-in-anonymem-brief-aid-1.7177999

Maybe Ryanair will have less of a problem filling vacancies than it previously seemed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Perhaps, however Air Berlin were nearly exclusively airbus and Ryanair is exclusively Boeing

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Perhaps, however Air Berlin were nearly exclusively airbus and Ryanair is exclusively Boeing

How long would it take to get rated on a 737?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

More like how much would it cost

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

If switching companies as well, then typically about 7-9 weeks of ground school and sim training for an operator conversion course, followed by between 4-6 weeks of line training under training and suprivision of a training Captain.

If a conversion course is being run internally without moving to a new operator, you could probably get the ground school and sim time down to about 4-5 weeks, and line training down to 3-5 weeks.

More like how much would it cost

I'm sure the investment would be the last factor if it got you qualified pilots saved you cancelling flights and losing money

NH2013 wrote: »
    If switching companies as well, then typically about 7-9 weeks of ground school and sim training for an operator conversion course, followed by between 4-6 weeks of line training under training and suprivision of a training Captain.

If a conversion course is being run internally without moving to a new operator, you could probably get the ground school and sim time down to about 4-5 weeks, and line training down to 3-5 weeks.

And would the 4 - 6 weeks be flying passengers? How many training Captains would Ryanair have?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I'm sure the investment would be the last factor if it got you qualified pilots saved you cancelling flights and losing money

I think instead he's referring to the fact that Ryanair are still charging their new pilots the guts of €30k for a place on a type rating course, a fact that might deter experienced pilots from considering them as an option for a career move.
    And would the 4 - 6 weeks be flying passengers? How many training Captains would Ryanair have?

Yes, 4-6 weeks of flying passengers while under training and suprivision of a training Captain. That's standard industry practice. I couldn't tell you how many they have although I have heard that a large number of them left in the last year to pastures new, which might leave them with an issue in getting new joiners up to speed and proficiency at a fast enough rate to replace the numbers leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's meant to be a shortage of training captains to actually do that supervision also currently.

Advertisement