Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

737max wrote: »
    Any witterings you hear from politicians are only to placate the Hoi Polloi.
    Ireland Inc. is going to do absolutely nothing to make Ireland less attractive to large multi-nationals of which Ryanair now is one.
    The labour laws which Ryanair exploit are of benefit to other multi-nationals.

If Ireland did attempt this then you would find Ryanair and others moving the staff virtually to another more "benign" jurisdiction in the E.U. and there would be the best part of a dozen Countries lining up for the honour of hosting Ryanair and these other multi-nationals.

That might be the case if it wasn't for some specific EU directives related to labour law that Ireland is not yet compliant with. The very clear impression given was that the issues of bogus self employment are being looked at over a wider arena than just here in Ireland.

For all sorts of reasons, the whole subject of multi nationals and employee protection is more on the radar now than it has been for some considerable time, probably because there have been increasing abuses by companies of all sizes, not just multinationals.

It may well then be the case that such changes across the EU will make Europe less competitive with other parts of the world, there's nothing new there unfortunately, but there has to be a balance in all of this, and for sure, there have been very significant abuses here in Ireland that do need to be addressed, there are supposedly nearly half a million people in Ireland that are self employed, which is out of balance with the expected split between employed and self employed.

I trust politicians as far as I can throw them with one hand tied, but there does appear to be a growing awareness that they cannot just sit back and ignore the very real social issues that things like zero hours contracts are causing. As to if their solutions are the right solutions, the jury is out on that, but the discussion about that really is not one for this thread.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Yeah, if they won't collect explicit amounts of tax that the E.U. tell them they must collect then what chance do you think they will not work around this issue to facilitate multi-nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

One of the lads was telling me that there was a wings ceremony the other day, And that the cadets be lucky to start their line training anytime soon due to the shortage of LTC.
    As for FR and the contracts for flight crews how does that hold up against EI & EZY along with Norwegian? I remember hearing that FR only had a handful of ground staff employed and the rest via agencies(zero hour contracts)
    One thing that I always found strange is FR employees working in their home countries base yet on Irish contracts, That be like Apple or any of the pharma companies that have operations here giving Irish employees US contracts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I'm torn here, I want to book a flight to the canary islands in January. EI are ridiculous prices, but Ryanair are reasonable, but I'm afraid of the flight being cancelled last minute. Pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm torn here, I want to book a flight to the canary islands in January. EI are ridiculous prices, but Ryanair are reasonable, but I'm afraid of the flight being cancelled last minute. Pain in the hole.

Honestly I cant see why one wouldn't book Ryanair, there was a period of 2 weeks where flights were cancelled with less than 2 weeks notice. The amount of flights cancelled was around 2%.

You've a much higher chance of your flight being cancelled due to a technical issue, air traffic control strikes or weather!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Honestly I cant see why one wouldn't book Ryanair, there was a period of 2 weeks where flights were cancelled with less than 2 weeks notice. The amount of flights cancelled was around 2%.

You've a much higher chance of your flight being cancelled due to a technical issue, air traffic control strikes or weather!

I'm almost there, I think I'll wait 1 more week for price drops, if they don't happen Ryanair it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"Jet Pilot Might Not Seem Like a ‘Gig,’ but at Ryanair, It Is"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/business/ryanair-pilots.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

of if flying with KLM, being bumped off the plane because they have chronically overbooked your flight , which isnt a problem you'd associate with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ryanair taking a high court action against Independent News & Media and one of their business journalists now for his reporting on the staff shortages. OLeary suing OBrien, this should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Got my flights on Ryanair, dropped another €100 today, aer lingus still €1000 dearer with a 25% of the plane filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I notice Ryanair still pushing the "we've hired 1000 new pilots this year" message. Am I the only one that doesn't see this as a great selling point? 1000 newbies flying around Europe expedited through training to replace the pissed off ones doesn't fill me with confidence.

Not doubting all standards met but the hands on line flying experience gap must me huge. Many of the cadets in the photos look as likely to be posing with their leaving certificate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Well flying for Ryanair is a great way to build up your experience very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

......newbies flying around Europe expedited through training....

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I notice Ryanair still pushing the "we've hired 1000 new pilots this year" message. Am I the only one that doesn't see this as a great selling point? 1000 newbies flying around Europe expedited through training to replace the pissed off ones doesn't fill me with confidence.

Not doubting all standards met but the hands on line flying experience gap must me huge. Many of the cadets in the photos look as likely to be posing with their leaving certificate.

I very much doubt the vast majority of people (of whom this is aimed at) would even consider that! Many of the travelling public don't know much about aviation whatsoever. Other than a plane flies, an airline owns the plane and air traffic control tell clears you to take off or land.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Newbies by the photos - the last thing they were possibly old enough to fly could have been a kite and expedited from many comments on pprune about "changes" to base training.

Like I said not querying that everything isn't as it should be - my query was centered on is the statement of so many new pilots in a short space of time considered positive. My mind read the announcement as a negative.

They also left out that while 1000 new pilots joined, 901 left with another couple of hundred working notice - source Balpa

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Many of the travelling public don't know much about aviation whatsoever… and air traffic control tell clears you to take off or land.

I thought they were the ones with the sticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm currently thinking of booking our flights for July 2018 very soon, and still slightly concerned about using Ryanair.

Do we think it will all be in the past come summer next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm currently thinking of booking our flights for July 2018 very soon, and still slightly concerned about using Ryanair.

Do we think it will all be in the past come summer next year?

No one can tell. Summer service will be their next test as traffic will increase again (while it is reduced in the winter), and they will have had to sort their pilot numbers by then. Of course they will aim at doing that as it is in their interest, but will they manage is difficult to answer.

Do they offer significant savings to book so early for flights during a busy period anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Newbies by the photos - the last thing they were possibly old enough to fly could have been a kite and expedited from many comments on pprune about "changes" to base training.

Like I said not querying that everything isn't as it should be - my query was centered on is the statement of so many new pilots in a short space of time considered positive. My mind read the announcement as a negative.

They also left out that while 1000 new pilots joined, 901 left with another couple of hundred working notice - source Balpa

Age doesn’t really come into it to be fair, if they are old enough to hold the relevant licences etc then I don’t see the problem. Sure they might not have the same life experience as an older person, but does that make them a less capable pilot than a low hours pilot in his 40’s? I wouldn’t say so.

What were the changes in base training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Just back from a long weekend we booked in Germany at the start of this whole thing €39.96 for me and the OH

We flew from Kerry to Frankfurt Hahn Friday and back today, was two very nice flights staff seemed very content ( Cabin Crew anyway) Pilots seemed to be in good form over the tannoy and rather enthusiastic.

On a side note got one of the newer planes back EI-FOB seemed to be a lot more space but the seat was rather firm a lot of people slept i'm not one to sleep on the plane so maybe i'm not best to judge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Age doesn’t really come into it to be fair, if they are old enough to hold the relevant licences etc then I don’t see the problem. Sure they might not have the same life experience as an older person, but does that make them a less capable pilot than a low hours pilot in his 40’s? I wouldn’t say so.
    Yes, the history of aviation is somewhat littered with incidents whereby older and very experienced pilots were responsible for air crashes - including the worst ever one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Yes, the history of aviation is somewhat littered with incidents whereby older and very experienced pilots were responsible for air crashes - including the worst ever one.

KLM did acknowledge their crew were ultimately responsible but the location of the airport contributed to it

Recent program on tv about EasyJet rookie pilots, the experience pilots on board would give you great assurances though, I thought they were great.

joeysoap wrote: »
    KLM did acknowledge their crew were ultimately responsible but the location of the airport contributed to it

Cork and Knock are also very foggy airports, does this make them unsafe?

You have contributing factors yes, but the crew were the main cause here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

*cough* Ryanair staff issues thread *cough*

Well, staff issues = pilot unrest = unionisation = industrial action = bye bye MOL = better T & C's = happy staff = happy customers = more profits for shareholders!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Well, staff issues = pilot unrest = unionisation = industrial action = bye bye MOL = better T & C's = happy staff = happy customers = more profits for shareholders!
    :)

Unionisation = higher costs = USP disappeared = lower volume of customers= unhappy shareholders

• Advertisement

Irrelevant for customers if FR pilots are unionised. At least if pilots are happy, the company can finally retain staff and stop cancelling flights.

If customers regain faith in the airline, ticket sales increase.
    More money for greedy shareholders!

Advertisement