Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bazzy wrote: »
    View Profile spoke about a flight delay i'm equating this to a traffic delay or a delay with something outside your control which can happen from time to time

Which is nowhere near a valid comparison to a commuting delay.

This is their actual work day being extended at zero cost to the employer. Frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

L1011 wrote: »
    Which is nowhere near a valid comparison to a commuting delay.

This is their actual work day being extended at zero cost to the employer. Frequently.

I wasnt aware of the length of the delays which is why I was asking the question.

The only clarity I have seen and i've done a bit of reading on it has been from this forum and i'm assuming that the guys are pilots for Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

And this happens quite often.
    Can you define quite often?
    http://www.flightontime.info/loco/airlines/ryr17.html

Less than 1 in every 200 UK scheduled flights is delayed over 3 hours according to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Often enough that staff are pissed about working for free without even a thank you from management.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.flightontime.info/loco/airlines/ryr17.html

Less than 1 in every 200 UK scheduled flights is delayed over 3 hours according to above.

For "delay" read "time gap"

At slot controlled airports the outbound slot may be a considerable time after the inbound slot; staff are paid when flying not when waiting to fly - stuck in an airport hundreds to thousands of miles aware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

And which slot controlled airports are these delays OFTEN happening at bearing in mind that Ryanair won't leave planes on the ground when they can be earning money?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

I admire FR , even MOL has his good points but I just don't understand this odd attitude to all employees

Too often I have given a lift to a youngster between swords and airport at
    Odd hours as they walk to work in full uniform even in the rain as money is too tight for a taxi

Even seeing foreign cabin crew " overnight " in airport garage as they have transport or accommodate issues, when
    I speak with them they are sad that the first airline they have to work for is FR
    But they move on quickly and this failure to retain any experienced staff impacts the rosters

These youngsters take away a very poor view of working in Ireland for an Irish company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have been on the DAA airport bus a few times that has stopped to pick up RY cabin crew who were walking to the airport.

Regularly see FR cabin crew walking from Swords to the airport (7km) due to the expense of a taxi.

Don't see Stobart, City Jet, or EI cabin crew doing that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Regularly see FR cabin crew walking from Swords to the airport (7km) due to the expense of a taxi.

Don't see Stobart, City Jet, or EI cabin crew doing that!

Your post is very daily mail.

1. Distance from Ryanair’s hq to t1 is 3.5ks. A nice brisk walk to clear the head / stretch the legs before / after a long day. Considering the age profile of the staff a 40min walk is a nice healthy option to have

2. How do you know it’s due to the expense of a taxi? Quite an assumption.

3. There is a very high frequent bus service a few hundreds meters from the Ryanair’s door to the door of t1

so less of the sensationalist inaccurate posts please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The posters aren’t referring to the Ryanair HQ to T1 walk.
    The sight of blue coats walking from Swords to the airport is quite common. I have seen it myself when I lived in Swords. There are no bus services from Swords till approx 6am.
    Yes, this is healthy but not in wet and cold weather before a 10-12 hour day.
    Other bases may have better local transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Express Bus offer a service for Dublin Airport staff 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Express Bus offer a service for Dublin Airport staff 24 hours.

Have you a link to a timetable for this bus,couldnt see any info on the Express Bus website? Thanks.

Your post is very daily mail.

1. Distance from Ryanair’s hq to t1 is 3.5ks. A nice brisk walk to clear the head / stretch the legs before / after a long day. Considering the age profile of the staff a 40min walk is a nice healthy option to have

And as posters have already pointed out, to get to RY’s hq in the first place .... ?

900 flying hours x €20 = €18000. Considering the cost of accommodation, might not even have the luxury of a taxi fare.

Afaik during their first year AL have a flat taxi fare from any part of Dublin City to the airport for staff with no transport. Deducted at source from pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Have you a link to a timetable for this bus,couldnt see any info on the Express Bus website? Thanks.

https://logonhopon.com

Was a fiver when I was up there. Large number of users. No timetable as such but you picked a slot for pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

So it seems industrial action has been announced for 15th December in Italy (4 hours) and an intention in Portugal but no date decided yet. Could get very messy in the approach to Christmas.

https://m.independent.ie/business/world/ryanair-pilots-and-cabin-crew-in-italy-to-strike-this-december-36384645.html

Following on from the Portuguese ballot for industrial action, the Italian pilots and cabin crew have announced a strike on December 15th.

More countries to follow....

Turkeys voting for Christmas.

M O'L will be getting biblical with the Smite-ing.

If he still has a job by months end.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I think he'll be alright.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

The key part of that article being:
    It’s understood that other European pilot unions are also in the process of seeking mandates from Ryanair pilots to initiate possible industrial action.

If this spreads, as looks likely, MOL is going to be in real trouble. A Europe-wide strike just before Christmas won't be helping Ryanair's current rickety PR image, or bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Blut2 wrote: »

If this spreads, as looks likely, MOL is going to be in real trouble. A Europe-wide strike just before Christmas won't be helping Ryanair's current rickety PR image, or bottom line.

If it spreads, is followed by a large number of crew members, and sustains over a longer period (4 hours once will cause some disturbance but won't have a massive impact), yes he'll be in actual trouble.

But while not impossible that's quite a few ifs before it really has an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I was on a Ryanair flight on Monday evening. As we were coming in to land the pilot aborted the landing very close to the runway and went around again. He made an announcement that there was something on the runway! When he did land it was easily the roughest and fasted landing I've ever experienced and I have been on well over 30 flights this year.

Is this a case of new pilots not having the experience or was it just a freak incident?

Would a more experienced pilot be able to slalom around the obstruction on the runway?

Was there anything on the runway?

Interesting to check airport arrivals to see if any arrivals came in between the aborted landing and the actual landing.

On the subject of hard landings: I was on an Aer Lingus flight on Tuesday, landing was as soft as a pillow, two friends on two different EJ flights said they had the same experience, really soft landings. Coincidence that these were all airbus aircraft (or just better pilots)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

737max wrote: »
    Would a more experienced pilot be able to slalom around the obstruction on the runway?

I guess if the only issue was something temporarily blocking the runway during the first landing attempt, an experienced pilot would have delivered a smooth landing on the second attempt rather than "the roughest and fasted landing" the poster has experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Blut2 wrote: »

A strike over Christmas would be the doomsday scenario for the company after the cancellations earlier in the year, the travelling public would never forgive or forget that. Most people will have already made their travelling arrangements for Christmas and after the earlier debacle many would have put their trust in other carriers until the root cause of the problem was addressed. I’ve only taken one RYR flight since then, that was a Brussels flight and it was half empty. Until they can announce some sort of binding agreement has been reached between both sides this will continue to simmer until it eventually comes to a head, it would be a disaster if that happened at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I don't know much about air traffic control but it seems bizarre to me that we were so close to the runway when he decided to take off again that there was some major breakdown in communication somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

OnDraught wrote: »

I don't know much about air traffic control but it seems bizarre to me that we were so close to the runway when he decided to take off again that there was some major breakdown in communication somewhere.

Happens all the time in Dub. Aircraft ahead is slow to vacate the runway or misses its exit. Your plane can't land until the runway is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

OnDraught wrote: »
    I was on a Ryanair flight on Monday evening. As we were coming in to land the pilot aborted the landing very close to the runway and went around again. He made an announcement that there was something on the runway! When he did land it was easily the roughest and fasted landing I've ever experienced and I have been on well over 30 flights this year.

Is this a case of new pilots not having the experience or was it just a freak incident?

737-800 had to be bounced down due to the length of the fuselage v the size of the landing gear, it's actually standard practice across all operators to reduce tail strikes in landing.

As for the go round, could be anything from FOD blowing across the runway to the precious traffic on the runway noticing something or leaving something on the runway. Also depends on which airport and the separation they use between flights for example Gatwick and stanstead have shorter separation of aircraft compared to Dublin

Advertisement