Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

737max wrote: »
    Will there be a picket line which others have to cross? I wouldn't want to be the captain there of a cancelled flight with 189 x however many flights full of angry passengers turning up in Dublin Airport with nowhere to go.
    Tel me again... how much do these guys earn? I can't see them garnering even as much sympathy as the Luas drivers got on their last strike, and that wasn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Strike action is not covered by EC261

No compensation, just a straight refund or rebooking on a later flight (no obligation to fly you on another airline).

Travel insurance is for this purpose, but too late to take it out now as the insured risk has moved from highly unlikely to very likely so a claim would be denied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Statement issued by Ryanair:

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-face-down-ialpa-threatened-strike/

I have flights booked with them for mid January, and at this stage I am not at all worried by what is going on. Maybe a bit closer to the date, but I don't think it will be allowed to drag on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

If that statement is right about it being mostly Pilots who are working out their notice period then I don't see how they can maintain a sustained campaign against the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

737max wrote:
    If that statement is right about it being mostly Pilots who are working out their notice period then I don't see how they can maintain a sustained campaign against the company.

It's not mostly pilots working notice. That's more Ryanair misinformation.

Do they ever tell the truth?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

https://corporate.ryanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/IALPA.pdf

IALPA wants to be recognized as the party to represent all Ryanair pilots rather than just their own members.

Seems like an attempt at a power grab by a union with it's own agenda to me rather than one who wants to represent the staff purely to help them.

It's not mostly pilots working notice. That's more Ryanair misinformation.

Do they ever tell the truth?!
    Maybe these pilots don't know that these are their final days working for the Company one way or t'other.

737max wrote:
    Maybe these pilots don't know that these are their final days working for the Company one way or t'other.

Firing hundreds of Captain's would ruin Ryanair.

79 troublemakers in Dublin.

737max wrote:

Plus the guys in Portugal, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Holland, Belgium.

• Advertisement

They'll get around to them in time when and as they misbehave.

737max wrote:

And then they'll ground the fleet due no crew.

Shoot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Do you know something that we don’t? Do you think those 79 pilots are being unreasonable in their demands?

"Do you think those 79 pilots are being unreasonable in their demands? "
    Do you really need to ask this? How out of touch are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks goingnowhere,

We have travel insurance which covers cancellation which is a fallback position, I'll ask them about covering an alternative flight.
    eg if Aer Lingus will fly us the next day or two at say 600 euro per head and we lose two hotel nights.

Or if the strike is Wed only then Ryanair may offer to take us on the next day or two and we just lose the first holiday hotel nights and have to stay near Dublin airport.

What a mess to have to deal with.

737max wrote:
    "Do you think those 79 pilots are being unreasonable in their demands? " Do you really need to ask this? How out of touch are you?

So staff who have to buy their own water and coffee despite the company earning profits of over a billion are being unreasonable?!
    Is that you Michael?!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Used ryanair for years and had no problems up to now.

At weekend had flight cancelled due to weather which is fair enough but link to re-book flight for free wasn't working so we all had to fork out 300euro per ticket to fly back next day!

Have sent in a claim form but reading online it takes 2 months to get a reply is this true!?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fire the bulk of the experienced captains and hire qualified replacements from where, exactly?

You do not understand either industrial negotiations or how the bulk of people (e.g. not you) see companies who treat staff like that.

If you back that man in to a corner then he'll pay above market rates to get a non-union labour and the labour will be there in plentiful supply. Pilots don't want to be flying around Asia, South America or Africa. He'll find plenty of pilots if the price is right.

• Advertisement

So staff who have to buy their own water and coffee despite the company earning profits of over a billion are being unreasonable?!
    Is that you Michael?!
    I'd happily buy my own food and drinks for €150,000 a year. Oh wait, I already do (except the €150k bit).

737max seems to be either really stupid or has an agenda!

Attack the post, not the poster
    If you back that man in to a corner then he'll pay above market rates to get a non-union labour and the labour will be there in plentiful supply. Pilots don't want to be flying around Asia, South America or Africa. He'll find plenty of pilots if the price is right.

So pay more than they do currently just so they can think they've made a victory?

Same issue will come back again.

Also, I'd suggest you take a look at the conditions for experienced captains in airlines in those countries - its low hour FOs that get treated like dirt there. And its mostly captains striking here.

737max seems to be either really stupid or has an agenda!
    My agenda is that of a Consumer who doesn't want to see Unions taking control of an industry to the detriment of the travelling public.
    What's your agenda?

737max wrote:

Pilots flying in Asia and ME get well looked after by their employer.
    High pay, benefits, pension etc.

These Skippers don't want to work the miser OLeary!

Pilots flying in Asia and ME get well looked after by their employer.
    High pay, benefits, pension etc.

These Skippers don't want to work the miser OLeary!
    They or a sizable proportion do want to work in Europe.

737max wrote:
    They or a sizable proportion do want to work in Europe.

Yeah for Easy, and other airlines where staff are treated with respect.

My agenda is very clear. Any wealthy company that exploits it's workers for the greed of the shareholders deserves being taken down a peg or two.

A CEO that shares the wealth is a CEO that staff want.

A CEO that shares the wealth is a CEO that staff want.
    But not shareholders, who actually own the airline.

You are one for the emotive language.
    Ryanair pilots are by no stretch of the imagination "exploited" or poorly paid.
    Ryanair will not sacrifice the workforce flexibility that it enjoys as that undermines the success of the company. I as a Consumer welcome this as I wish to fly inexpensively around Europe.

You are one for the emotive language.
    Ryanair pilots are by no stretch of the imagination "exploited" or poorly paid.
    Ryanair will not sacrifice the workforce flexibility that it enjoys as that undermines the success of the company. I as a Consumer welcome this as I wish to fly inexpensively around Europe.

You are suggesting they pay different pilots higher amounts to keep that flexibility. That increases costs even more

Your logic on this does not hold.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    You are suggesting they pay different pilots higher amounts to keep that flexibility. That increases costs even more

Your logic on this does not hold.
    The logic holds true perfectly. Most mulit-nationals operate like this. Pay key staff well as long as they are flexible. Fight unions to the death.

This move here is an obvious attempt at a power grab by the trade union movement against the entire industry; that won't end well for either the Airlines in general or the Consumer.

Advertisement