Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Have Ryanair a list of what flights are being cancelled or are they just making it up as they go along..

I have booked to go to Birmingham on 21st next month and stick return next day...

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

elaverty wrote: »
    Have Ryanair a list of what flights are being cancelled or are they just making it up as they go along..

I have booked to go to Birmingham on 21st next month and stick return next day...

Thanks

It seems for now they are quenching fires as they start so to speak. Probably trying to move pilots around from various bases to the next, so at the moment it seems unclear. Who knows how it will pan out, Norwegian and the likes are still recruiting pilots, especially at Dublin so I'd say this may go on long than 6 weeks, but let's see what plan they come up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Lots of Interesting speculation doing the rounds. Someone has to be ultimately responsible?

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Lots of Interesting speculation doing the rounds. Someone has to be ultimately responsible?
    That's easy, Ryanair are to blame, their mistreatment of staff is coming back to bite them. Pilot jobs are now plentiful enough that sensible pilots are leaving to work for airlines who value them, pay them fair wages, and provide standard industry benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Locker10a wrote: »
    That's easy, Ryanair are to blame, their mistreatment of staff is coming back to bite them. Pilot jobs are now plentiful enough that sensible pilots are leaving to work for airlines who value them, pay them fair wages, and provide standard industry benefits.

If it is as clear as this, I assume Ryanair will have little choice but increasing pilots' wages/benefits across the board in the short term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

To lessen or avoid further inconvenience to passengers, could Ryanair use some leasing arrangement (hire aircraft) to help overcome the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

What happens to the non refundsble accommodation I have booked? Cannot get a flight until 2 days later than my cancelled flight so will be out of pocket for those 2 days accomodation and have to pay a premium price to add in 2 days accomodation at the end of my trip - and change hotels ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

snor wrote: »
    What happens to the non refundsble accommodation I have booked? Cannot get a flight until 2 days later than my cancelled flight so will be out of pocket for those 2 days accomodation and have to pay a premium price to add in 2 days accomodation at the end of my trip - and change hotels ��

You loose it unfortunately. No compensation for consequential losses. Law on Ryanair side here, and I guess it has to be - the liabilities that could open would be limitless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

snor wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-flight-cancellations-what-you-need-to-know-1.3222837?mode=amp

Have a read of this, it says you what you can claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Travel insurance would cover that sort of thing.

I presume EU261 or whatever it is covers a situation where an extra hotel nights accomadation had to be paid and that a new flight home had to be booked on a different airline by the passenger at a different airport for €400 one way as he had college Monday morning and FR said it would be 2 days before they'd have a flight
    The only way to the other airport was by uber which cost €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just to put things in context, remember that Air Berline cancelled 100 flights this week when an “unusually high number” of pilots called in sick

Maybe it's us - the flying public - who are really to blame, thinking that any airline can fly profitably with fares of less than 20€ ... says he, having just this minute received an e-mail from Ryanair telling me I can "beat the blues from 19€99" :pac:

That is an unofficial strike. Not actual sickness

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

Do RYR have a shortage of LTCs' at current?  To facilitate training people straight out flight school. 
    If so, isn't that the case at a number of Low Cost Airlines where the type rating wait time is anywhere from 6-8 months I heard for our company at present. Or does it run far deeper, and back a longer period then I am assuming. Just how bad has their long term planning been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

chinwag wrote: »
    To lessen or avoid further inconvenience to passengers, could Ryanair use some leasing arrangement (hire aircraft) to help overcome the problem?

They have enough planes. They don't have enough pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

They have enough planes. They don't have enough pilots.

well you can lease crew to come with the planes too ... cost is what must be stopping that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

LTC means Line Training Captain, this guy was only new, still under initial training, hadn't been signed off/qualified yet so he wasn't legal to fly unless he was with a Line Training Captain. He should have been removed from the flight and a qualified First Officer called in to replace him. Major cock up. Perhaps when things were hectic/desperate there was an oversight and crew control just put him on with a normal line captain....

But doesn't this just effectively mean that those training hours don't count without the captain being an LTC. Inconvenient for the FO but that's about as much.
    Jawgap wrote:
    ......took the folks away for a break and since this has been announced they've been worrying about getting back home if we get cancelled.

I'm travelling with my family and SIL family so a lot of potentially disrupted plans and hassle if there's a cancellation.

I'm sure Ryanair don't care if this affects only 2% of their customers. The worst bit is not knowing right up until day before departure and then worrying again during the holiday that there might not be a flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

But doesn't this just effectively mean that those training hours don't count without the captain being an LTC. Inconvenient for the FO but that's about as much.

No, in fact it's highly illegal.
    Until released to the line by the training department, an FO under training can only fly with instructor pilots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Other airlines must be laughing like drains at all this commotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

the AGM coming up on Thursday should be interesting :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have to wonder what their PR staff think of this. FR built up a reputation - for free - during the many EI strikes for getting you there. They also had a reputation, via the fecking claxon, for OTP.

Their OTP is in shreds for a multitude of reasons; and now they've lost any ability to be seen as reliable. They have their reasons for not announcing cancellations early - namely that they can cancel the cheapest to drop - but it's going to destroy confidence.

Add dissatisfaction at the seating and bag changes and I can see people all across the continent giving up on both the fallacy that FR are already cheapest and also applying value to non-cost elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I'm flying to Malaga at the end of October. Ryanair have two flights on the day. One in the morning and one in the evening. The morning flight is considerably more expensive than the evening flight. I have purchased the more expensive flight.

In the past I have been in a similar situation with Ryanair. I have purchased the more expensive flight only to find that this was cancelled and merged with the flight that had the cheaper seats.
    Not only was I inconvenienced by 5 hours on that occasion I also could have purchased my seat on the later flight much cheaper.
    It would be interesting to see if Ryanair are cancelling the flights with the expensive paid for seats or the flights with the less expensive paid for seats.

Next October I have also booked non refundable accommodation. I also have to collect keys to an apartment at a specific time. If my flight is cancelled it will be a mess.

Thankfully I have the return flight with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

1123heavy wrote: »
    well you can lease crew to come with the planes too ... cost is what must be stopping that happening

if you look at all the big ACMI names in Europe they're all busy, I'm not exactly sure what flyDubai are up to these days, but even getting a lease is not that simple this summer season comparing to couple of years ago.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

If it is as clear as this, I assume Ryanair will have little choice but increasing pilots' wages/benefits across the board in the short term?
    Yes, and hopefully this will happen. But they are a huge airline and the scale of improvements needed would hit them right where it hurts most, costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

They're really getting extremely negative publicity on various news channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭john boye

One thing I find funny in this, surely the drop in OTP stats has much more to do with factors like pax bringing on too much carry-on luggage and the recent seating changes debacle (I.E: FRs own doing) than any of the reasons given in the original statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

flaneur wrote: »
    They're really getting extremely negative publicity on various news channels.

ah now, remember the time United beat up a passenger or something? Seems like a distant memory and as the time proved - negative publicity has very little to no impact on large corporations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Paully D wrote: »
    Friday and Saturday cancellations, per The Irish Times.

Many surprises there or are many of the routes what you would
    ..................T1
    Italy flights seem to have got hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I assume it a bit late to get travel insurance now, even if my flight hasn't been cancelled?

Advertisement