Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Ive a flight from SNN-AGP on Friday 20th, when will we find out whether or not it has been cancelled?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This will be operated by a Faro based aircraft.
    You need to search what action they are planning not what is currently happening in Ireland.

How does someone know where their crew / flight is based?
    Ive family travelling to Girona on the 24th @ 7.10 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Only works for Knock and Kerry as there are no based aircraft.
    So all flights "from" Knock and Kerry actually originate at the "to" airport.

Dublin/Shannon/Cork have a mix of based aircraft and inbound flights.
    So more complicated.

Look at the arrival time of your flight at your destination.
    If this approx 1 hour before your return flight is scheduled to depart then the chances are that the "originating" flight is based at your departure airport.

If however your return flight arrival time is approx 1 hour before your scheduled departure time then the chances are that the flight originated at your destination airport.

Now obviously there will be other factors in play so while reasonable assumptions can be made it is not an absolute method.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Anahita wrote: »
    Any idea if these "rolling strikes" will carry on into August? I've a flight from Knock to Faro departing on Aug 18 th and returning Aug 28 th. I've yet to pay the full accommodation costs (I've paid a deposit of 2 nights of the 10 nights) or my car rental and I'm holding off doing so as long as possible ( it's by bank transfer not by credit card) just in case the flights are cancelled.

Any one have any idea how fast in advance the decisions might be made? I'm pretty sure I can build off paying for the accommodation until 2 wks/10 nights prior to travel.

Thanks in advance!

How would anyone on here possibly know that...?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

How would anyone on here possibly know that...?

There are people on here who seem to have very insider info. I thought I might get lucky! I guess what I'm asking is ... what would people do in my situation?

Thanks for those who answered and I'll hold off making the full payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have flights paid to Holland in August. I can cancel my accommodation up to 48 hours in advance of my stay...no charge. Unfortunately the Ryanair admin staff leave it until the last minute before telling people if their flights are cancelled or not.
    In my case the cost of the accommodation is about 3 times the cost of the flights. I will be holding off until the last minute.

I paid and booked for flights and accommodation before last Christmas for breaks in April, May and June also next October. The earlier holidays went off fine except for Ryanair delays and hot stuffy aircraft.

For next year I am going to try and do things differently. I'm not sure what yet. I usually grab the bargain hotel stay by paying up front there and then with no cancellations or refunds. This will have to change, I can't risk doing this because of Ryanair. I will also leave booking my flight until nearer my travel date or maybe take a ferry and train for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I have flights paid to Holland in August. I can cancel my accommodation up to 48 hours in advance of my stay...no charge. Unfortunately the Ryanair admin staff leave it until the last minute before telling people if their flights are cancelled or not.
    In my case the cost of the accommodation is about 3 times the cost of the flights. I will be holding off until the last minute.

I paid and booked for flights and accommodation before last Christmas for breaks in April, May and June also next October. The earlier holidays went off fine except for Ryanair delays and hot stuffy aircraft.

For next year I am going to try and do things differently. I'm not sure what yet. I usually grab the bargain hotel stay by paying up front there and then with no cancellations or refunds. This will have to change, I can't risk doing this because of Ryanair. I will also leave booking my flight until nearer my travel date or maybe take a ferry and train for a change.

Could you not just book a travel insurance policy that has strike cover? At least then you could still do the same hotel but would get a refund then?
    I contacted our insurance before strike dates were announced (we missed them by one day in the end thankfully), and was told we were covered for the strike action if we needed to cancel our holiday (inc accommodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

sillysocks wrote: »
    Could you not just book a travel insurance policy that has strike cover? At least then you could still do the same hotel but would get a refund then?
    I contacted our insurance before strike dates were announced (we missed them by one day in the end thankfully), and was told we were covered for the strike action if we needed to cancel our holiday (inc accommodation).

I have travel insurance and I agree, it's a necessity BUT, I can only travel at this time because of the nature of my work. This is the only time I have holidays and I can't take the holidays at a different time. If I have to cancel, I'll be sitting home twiddling my thumbs for 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

That's too early a departure to be a Girona based aircraft as it would have to get from there to Dublin first. That flight is Dublin based.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    That's too early a departure to be a Girona based aircraft as it would have to get from there to Dublin first. That flight is Dublin based.

So this could be crewed by striking pilots?
    Or would Ryanair draft in other pilots to cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

So this could be crewed by striking pilots?
    Or would Ryanair draft in other pilots to cover?

They did draft in lots of pilots for the last strike which mitigated the impact greatly. They will certainly try to do the same again but it remains to be seen if they can keep doing this.
    I'm sure they will try to prioritise holiday flights and instead cancel high frequency routes. Girona is a low frequency holiday route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Hi there.
    Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong thread/forum.
    I'm due to fly out of Dublin - Ryanair - for a family holiday on the 26th of this month.
    Will the proposed European cabin crew strike, due to take place on the 25th and 26th, disrupt my outbound flight?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Has there been any notification if the groups are going to meet this week to hopefully avoid the strike on Friday? Fecking getting screwed over again this week, I am booked to fly home from Glasgow & no doubt they will cancel the late flight again(as they did for my mom visiting last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Has there been any notification if the groups are going to meet this week to hopefully avoid the strike on Friday? Fecking getting screwed over again this week, I am booked to fly home from Glasgow & no doubt they will cancel the late flight again(as they did for my mom visiting last week).

I believe from last weeks meeting there will be a "working group" meeting on a weekly basis moving forward.

What will come that nobody knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Flying to Malaga on the morning of the 24th solo. Should I just take a hit and book an Aer Lingus flight that morning instead? The not knowing is a bit of a pain. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

gebbel wrote: »
    Flying to Malaga on the morning of the 24th solo. Should I just take a hit and book an Aer Lingus flight that morning instead? The not knowing is a bit of a pain. Thanks.

Best to wait. Remember that Ryanair are legally responsible for rerouting even on another airline. This may involve you booking the replacement flight yourself and claiming back retrospectively however they should be first offered the opportunity to do this for you. Live chat and a screen grab is the best way.

Accepting a refund from Ryanair absolves them of any further responsibility. Judging by Twitter so many people screwed themselves last week by accepting a refund and then rebooking themselves on another flight at a higher cost
    There is absolutely no need to do this.

Any action you take regarding rebooking should be done after a cancellation announcement and having given the airline an opportunity to reroute you.

NEVER click the refund button it releases them of all liability above the cost of the original flight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Best to wait. Remember that Ryanair are legally responsible for rerouting even on another airline. This may involve you booking the replacement flight yourself and claiming back retrospectively however they should be first offered the opportunity to do this for you. Live chat and a screen grab is the best way.

Beware of doing this, I tried booking one myself one and they categorically refused to pay for it, regardless of what I threatened them with.

Beware of doing this, I tried booking one myself one and they categorically refused to pay for it, regardless of what I threatened them with.

It depends on the circumstances. In a strike scenario they are entitled to fight over compensation although this is being addressed but not rerouting or welfare obligations

If the airline failed to offer you care , assistance and rerouting then you have a claim. If they failed to offer rerouting or they offered a rerouting which causes your trip to be in vein i.e they tell you their next flight is in a week's time and you are able to source a practical alternative then you are entitled to be rerouted onto that even if it is another airline. If you offered the airline that opportunity and they failed to comply (which is why I recommend live chat and screen grab) then you are entitled to pursue it yourself and claim retrospectively.

The airline will of course reject such claims which is why we have CAR as the enforcement body. Although be aware that the enforcement body will be the one of the country of departure of the flight in question.

From the directive : Under EU Directive 261 - the rules governing air passengers’ rights - any airline which cancels a flight must offer passengers “re-routing under comparable transport conditions to their final destination at the earliest opportunity”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Has there been any indication of when they'll let affected passengers know of cancellations? I know for last week's strike it was only a day or two beforehand. I'd hoped thistime there'd be more notice, but that's not looking likely

This is the latest article I can find when Googling Ryanair.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/716959/ryanair-news-cancelled-flights-latest-pilot-strike-Ireland-UK

Seems they are still going ahead and 24 flights will be cancelled. Between the UK and Ireland. No doubt mine will be fecking one of them again :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

So if my flight is cancelled can I book another flight to a different city on the same day or day before for no extra cost?

Seems that 24 flights have been cancelled and people notified. While I wasn't notified last week, I did check and all seems to be ok with my flight home this weekend. Thank balls :)

Peter File wrote: »
    So if my flight is cancelled can I book another flight to a different city on the same day or day before for no extra cost?

You get the option to refund the flight or change flight in the app or website. In saying that, this function has never worked for me on mobile. I have been able to change flights through a computer and through their twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Sorry if I'm out of the loop - I'm just travelling to London next month, what's the likelihood that these disruptions will continue on into next month? I'll be flying on the 17th/19th and didn't even think of the possibility of a strike until after I booked my flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

So Ryanair have cancelled my flight home from Portugal on the 26th, there is an alternative flight home that night. Question is, if I decide to stay for another couple of days and come home on the 28th, will Ryanair cover my accommodation costs even though there is an alternative flight on the 26th?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope

dibs101 wrote: »
    So Ryanair have cancelled my flight home from Portugal on the 26th, there is an alternative flight home that night. Question is, if I decide to stay for another couple of days and come home on the 28th, will Ryanair cover my accommodation costs even though there is an alternative flight on the 26th?

Thanks in advance!

Their responsibility is to get you on the next available flight or refund you (you choose from these options not them)

If the next available flight was 28th they would be responsible for duty of care I.e. hotels etc.. until then. But you can't expect them to let you dictate that you want to stay longer and expect them to pick up the tab.

You *could* wait and hope that the flights on 26th and 27th get fully booked and then contact them in which case the next available flight would be the 28th but that's a huge punt. Also don't expect them to just book you a hotel , you will most likely have to book your own , submit receipts , get your claim denied and continue a fight with them for a few months.

Overall not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Tuesday 24th is last of the announced pilot strike days-just wondering if people reckon it’ll be the same again on Tues with mainly UK flights affected? Have family travelling to Europe for a wedding and are wondering if they’ll likely be affected? I know no one knows for sure but any opinions!?

sillysocks wrote: »
    Tuesday 24th is last of the announced pilot strike days-just wondering if people reckon it’ll be the same again on Tues with mainly UK flights affected? Have family travelling to Europe for a wedding and are wondering if they’ll likely be affected? I know no one knows for sure but any opinions!?

Should be similar on 24th.

25th and 26th are likely to be different due to European cabin crew strikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

Why no mention about Italy when cabin crew there are also supposed to be going on strike on the 25th? Flights not affected there or?

Advertisement