Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

20 flights in total to be cancelled and agree with what was said. Tended to be flights that were ones where there multiple flights on that route in the same day seemed to be first and last flight of the day from what I noticed.

You'll get a text/email if you bought your tickets directly with them and you can also look here for flight info. I imagine they're sorting out who will fly what route now and they'll send the texts/emails for cancellations and then put the cancellations on the website here: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/travel-updates

Also, they've been sneaky cancelling flights for weather conditions so they don't have to pay for refunds and/or rerouting people so keep your fingers crossed for good weather on the day and flight route.

Without wanting to cause panic, if your flight is cancelled there is a good page for you to vent your spleen here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/263759814405650/?source_id=1795151483906678

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JimmyChew

Was wondering similar, I'm flying out at 6.30am on Friday 11th, first flight day after the strike. Cork. Any idea if it'll be cancelled or will it mostly affect Dublin?

Saturday the 11th?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JimmyChew

Anahita wrote: »
    20 flights in total to be cancelled and agree with what was said. Tended to be flights that were ones where there multiple flights on that route in the same day seemed to be first and last flight of the day from what I noticed.

You'll get a text/email if you bought your tickets directly with them and you can also look here for flight info. I imagine they're sorting out who will fly what route now and they'll send the texts/emails for cancellations and then put the cancellations on the website here: https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/travel-updates

Also, they've been sneaky cancelling flights for weather conditions so they don't have to pay for refunds and/or rerouting people so keep your fingers crossed for good weather on the day and flight route.

Without wanting to cause panic, if your flight is cancelled there is a good page for you to vent your spleen here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/263759814405650/?source_id=1795151483906678

Some great points there, thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

They've just announced it'll be 20 flights cancelled. No sign of any cancellations on the website yet. I'm sure to someone who can take holidays any time of year it might seem like not much of a big deal if you get a refund/rebook to a later date, but some people have booked annual holidays for that time period and if they can't travel, then that's their holiday scuppered for the whole year.

Yeah.... and some peoples accommodation has been paid in advance on a NO REFUND /CANCELLATION basis. I cant see overseas accommodation owners refunding such costs...and ending up with empty rooms/villas etc at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

JimmyChew wrote: »
    Saturday the 11th?

Yes, sorry Sat 11th.

What are the chance of flights the day after being affected, if at all, from Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Masala wrote: »
    Yeah.... and some peoples accommodation has been paid in advance on a NO REFUND /CANCELLATION basis. I cant see overseas accommodation owners refunding such costs...and ending up with empty rooms/villas etc at this time of year.

We're one of those people unfortunately. Have booked an expensive but non refundable hotel in london. Not sure what to do now.

Do we:
    1. Sit tight and wait for Ryanair to announce the cancelled flights and hope it's not us?
    2. Appeal to the better nature of a busy and popular london hotel and hope they agree to refund us and resell the room. Our flight might however go ahead in which case we won;t get any refund from Ryanair?

The flight was obviously the cheaper of the two but I don't see why we have to lose out financially at all. :mad:

yellow hen wrote: »
    We're one of those people unfortunately. Have booked an expensive but non refundable hotel in london. Not sure what to do now.

Do we:
    1. Sit tight and wait for Ryanair to announce the cancelled flights and hope it's not us?
    2. Appeal to the better nature of a busy and popular london hotel and hope they agree to refund us and resell the room. Our flight might however go ahead in which case we won;t get any refund from Ryanair?

The flight was obviously the cheaper of the two but I don't see why we have to lose out financially at all. :mad:

I'd say they'll cancel these 20 flights in the next 24 hrs. THIS is a guess based on my previous experience watching when they announced the Aug 3rd flight cancellations publicly and how long it took them to announce them on their website. I feel your plight I'm in the same boat myself only a week later but I've not paid my full accommodation costs and I'm not going to a place that's been cancelled Perthshire before (it's been cancelled a lot by Portuguese staff and by other countries just not Irish-Faro flights that often).

Maybe you could ring the hotel directly and seek their advice. At least you'd have some piece of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

yellow hen wrote: »

Do we:

How many flights are there to the London airport you’re due to go to that day? I’d hazard a guess that they’d make sure not to cancel all flights to one destination and would then be able to offer you a flight albeit at a different time but on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

sillysocks wrote: »
    How many flights are there to the London airport you’re due to go to that day? I’d hazard a guess that they’d make sure not to cancel all flights to one destination and would then be able to offer you a flight albeit at a different time but on the same day.

Agree - if you don't get to Gatwick, you'd be bound to get to Stanstead I'd have thought..

There are a huge number of London flights to all the airports which is why it's their preferred destination for cancellations. Usetowait is right!

• Advertisement

With all the necessary cautions in place, it's worth reading this article in The Guardian before deciding what to do about making a claim about a cancelled flight.

Aviation Authority's Statement on Ryan Air Strike (Aug 2) and making claims and your entitlements if your flight is cancelled or delayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Aviation Authority's Statement on Ryan Air Strike (Aug 2) and making claims and your entitlements if your flight is cancelled or delayed.

Good of them to provide information, but I find this paragraph particularly unhelpful and a bit coward:
    Compensation

Passengers are entitled to compensation where a flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 3 hours except where the cancellation or delay is due to extraordinary circumstances. Affected passengers are advised to contact Ryanair directly.

Since they are not making a call and saying whether those strikes are or aren’t considered extrodinary circonstances, they are not giving any answer to someone wondering if they are legally entitled for compensation. So they are not addressing the only point whereby their legal opinion would be needed to clarify the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I have mailed them and asked specifically whether the current industrial action affecting Ryan is classed as 'extraordinary circumstances'?.......

No response as yet.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    I have mailed them and asked specifically whether the current industrial action affecting Ryan is classed as 'extraordinary circumstances'?.......

No response as yet.

TT

That's a good idea to ask. From what I understand, this statement is in fact in response to their excuse that these latest rounds of strikes are 'extraordinary' and their big press push to state that the pilots won't meet them wah wah wah is an effort to do this...hence the recent 'weather thunderstorm' cancellations.

However, from what I understand, even regular thunderstorms, weather aren't considered 'extraordinary' unlike something like the Icelandic volcanic ash--that was extraordindary.

This article in The Guardian was food for thought. It's just one legal head's opinion.

I'm not sure how far someone would be willing to take this. Some people on cheaper flights might not even make a basic claim if their claim was rejected at the first application---that's what Ryanair are hoping!

TopTec wrote: »

No response as yet.

TT

https://news.gtp.gr/2018/04/24/eu-court-rules-airlines-must-compensate-delays-cancellations/

According to the new European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling, airlines are obliged to recompense air passengers for flight delays and cancellations, even if a strike has previously been announced and on condition that the departure airport is within the EU, or that the flight is run by an EU-based carrier. Additionally, the airline should be responsible for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

These strikes are not extraordinary events 'beyond their control', they could have put an end to them at any time but they chose not to.
    The UK CAA have already told them they expect affected passengers to be compensated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Had a flight cancelled on 12/07. Raised a compensation request to Ryanair that was rejected today. Have now raised a complaint through the CAA's dispute resolution service, will see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just had a conformation that they are paying out for my Dublin Manchester flight that was 3 hours 20 mins late on the 27th July. There is still hope folks. I'm going to try and claim for 5 others in our party that decided not to fly and already got a refund, as it seems that they are still entitled to compensation.

Dear Mr stimpson ,
    We refer to the claim dated 31/07/2018.
    We sincerely regret the delay on your flight FR1556 from Dublin T1 to Manchester T3 on
    the 27/07/2018.
    We wish to confirm that a bank transfer for the sum of 500 EUR (equivalent to 250 EUR per
    customer) has been authorised by Ryanair in full and final settlement of your claim under
    EU 261. Please allow 10 working days to receive this bank transfer.
    Please be advised that Ryanair is not liable for any prepaid expenses, therefore we are not
    in a position to accede to your refund request.
    Please be advised that the cost of alcohol beverages cannot be reimbursed as they are not
    considered necessary expenses.
    Thank you for flying with us and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you
    on–board another Ryanair flight again soon.
    Yours sincerely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

stimpson wrote: »
    I just had a conformation that they are paying out for my Dublin Manchester flight that was 3 hours 20 mins late on the 27th July. There is still hope folks. I'm going to try and claim for 5 others in our party that decided not to fly and already got a refund, as it seems that they are still entitled to compensation.

I was under that impression that if you didn't take the flight, or an alternate flight and got a refund instead that it absolved Ryanair of having to pay you compensation. Could be wrong about that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I'm not sure if anyone know how long this strike action will go on for or if Ryanair will fold. But I have a flight booked for mid-september, now it was a very cheap return flight but our hotel is very expensive and non refundable.

Should we consider just booking it with a different airline? Due to uncertainty of flights can we get anything from Ryanair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

You are asking questions that nobody will have the answer for. The strikes could be settled within a few days or run on for months. It also depends on the route you have booked and the airport.

In your position I would try to get a deal with another airline but they are cashing in on people in similar positions. You could leave it for a while and keep a close eye on developments but there are other people doing the same.

If you can get a good alternative deal now I would probably go for it but it is a personal choice.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Yeah, it's to Amsterdam. 240quid. Original flights were just 100euro. It's a tough call, but I don't wanna miss this holiday.. I need it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jaysus Ryanair won't be folding anytime soon anyway! One of the biggest airlines in the world which is producing healthy profits (up to the last results published at least) won't fold due to a little bit of strike action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus Ryanair won't be folding anytime soon anyway! One of the biggest airlines in the world which is producing healthy profits (up to the last results published at least) won't fold due to a little bit of strike action!

The good (and bad) thing is that Ryanair have pretty much unlimited firepower. They could probably fly each of their 400+ aircraft around with no paying passengers for many years before they would run out of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm pretty sure that when the poster said "fold" he meant "give in to the Unions" rather than "cease trading".

The good (and bad) thing is that Ryanair have pretty much unlimited firepower. They could probably fly each of their 400+ aircraft around with no paying passengers for many years before they would run out of cash.
    Which is pretty much what they'll be doing if they don't sort this out soon. There's only so much hammering the brand can take, check out Twitter, you won't find a positive comment.
    It's a shame really, so much good work done with that 'Always getting better' campaign a couple of years ago, they seem to be going backwards now.
    Even if they do win, it may well turn out to be a pyrhic victory...
    Trust is hard earned but easily lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Which is pretty much what they'll be doing if they don't sort this out soon. There's only so much hammering the brand can take, check out Twitter, you won't find a positive comment.
    It's a shame really, so much good work done with that 'Always getting better' campaign a couple of years ago, they seem to be going backwards now.
    Even if they do win, it may well turn out to be a pyrhic victory...
    Trust is hard earned but easily lost..

All full of people who will "never fly with them again" just like the last mess up with rosters yet load factors , passenger numbers , routes and fleet continue to increase.

Share price is jittery and profits are down but this is the nature of the industry (easy jet having their woes too)

The brand and perception is largely irrelevant if you are and continue to be the cheapest (not necessarily translating to low prices) in the market

The scale of the operation is huge , the impact is relatively small and if Ryanair see unworkable terms in a particular market they will simply redistribute the assets and move on, as they should.

Rest assured 90% of those Twitter victims will be back onboard soon when confronted with the choice of a €150 trip to Spain or a €350 one with a competitor.

All full of people who will "never fly with them again" just like the last mess up with rosters yet load factors , passenger numbers , routes and fleet continue to increase.

Share price is jittery and profits are down but this is the nature of the industry (easy jet having their woes too)

The brand and perception is largely irrelevant if you are and continue to be the cheapest (not necessarily translating to low prices) in the market

The scale of the operation is huge , the impact is relatively small and if Ryanair see unworkable terms in a particular market they will simply redistribute the assets and move on, as they should.

Rest assured 90% of those Twitter victims will be back onboard soon when confronted with the choice of a €150 trip to Spain or a €350 one with a competitor.

That's true, as they say 'Time and a five million seats for a tenner seat sale are a great healer...:)
    Even Gerald Ratner made a comeback...

I got a notification of a 25% off seat sale today, I had a quick look for a short winter break I'm planning, the flights were available for about €60 each return. I thought about it for a millisecond but then passed. I was thinking afterwards it might be worth a punt booking a Friday flight when the strikes are most likely, if industrial harmony is reached I could always use the seats, if not and there's another strike the flight might get cancelled and I could just claim the EU261 ;)compensation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Due to fly with Ryanair on Friday the 24th,just wondering do ye think it will be resolved by then or will there be more strikes,they usually seem to strike on a Friday

Advertisement