Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Strike implications re Cancellations NO INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS POSTS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sullysark

Locker10a wrote: »
    Bob24 wrote: »
    That's easy, Ryanair are to blame, their mistreatment of staff is coming back to bite them. Pilot jobs are now plentiful enough that sensible pilots are leaving to work for airlines who value them, pay them fair wages, and provide standard industry benefits.

If it is as clear as this, I assume Ryanair will have little choice but increasing pilots' wages/benefits across the board in the short term?
    Yes, and hopefully this will happen. But they are a huge airline and the scale of improvements needed would hit them right where it hurts most, costs
    Can you genuinely see that happening? I don't. They will still have numerous cadet pilots applying with CAE. FTE, CTC (L3/ or whatever they call it now)  and CAE are spitting out hundreds of integrated pilots annually now, add in the modular guys who tend to apply to RYR mostly. 
    They need to find a way to retain their training captains, and possibly not moving new captains to the far ends of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Brennus335 wrote:
    No, in fact it's highly illegal. Until released to the line by the training department, an FO under training can only fly with instructor pilots.

There's no such thing as highly illegal. Driving over the speed limit is illegal and can be dangerous. Whats the danger here?

I assume it a bit late to get travel insurance now, even if my flight hasn't been cancelled?

No. But I'm always amazed at people not getting travel insurance any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

john boye wrote: »
    One thing I find funny in this, surely the drop in OTP stats has much more to do with factors like pax bringing on too much carry-on luggage and the recent seating changes debacle (I.E: FRs own doing) than any of the reasons given in the original statement?

The carry on luggage has been in place for 3 years and the change of seat allocation for 4 months and you seem to think that the recent dip in performance is down to the carry on luggage :confused:

I assume it a bit late to get travel insurance now, even if my flight hasn't been cancelled?

No, you shoud get an annual policy as it is very cost effective if you have more than one trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The airline is saying on Saturday 16 September: ”Cancellation notices for flights cancelled up to and including Wednesday 20 September have been sent to affected customers and we will continue to send regular updates."

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-rights-400000-passengers-cancelled-flights-compensation-hotels-meals-caa-a7949916.html
    Yet they only have saturday and sunday listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

One thing I find funny in this, surely the drop in OTP stats has much more to do with factors like pax bringing on too much carry-on luggage and the recent seating changes debacle (I.E: FRs own doing) than any of the reasons given in the original statement?

The carry on luggage has been in place for 3 years and the change of seat allocation for 4 months and you seem to think that the recent dip in performance is down to the carry on luggage :confused:

Yes but people have been steadily bringing more and more on board with them (so much so that FR recently had to lower the allowances) and We've all heard about the mayhem on board that the seating changes caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That's easy, Ryanair are to blame, their mistreatment of staff is coming back to bite them. Pilot jobs are now plentiful enough that sensible pilots are leaving to work for airlines who value them, pay them fair wages, and provide standard industry benefits.

If it is as clear as this, I assume Ryanair will have little choice but increasing pilots' wages/benefits across the board in the short term?
    Yes, and hopefully this will happen. But they are a huge airline and the scale of improvements needed would hit them right where it hurts most, costs

Yes that was my next point: I guess doing that would significantly increase operational costs meaning either increasing prices for customers or reducing margins.

Yes but people have been steadily bringing more and more on board with them (so much so that FR recently had to lower the allowances) and We've all heard about the mayhem on board that the seating changes caused.

Ryanair have allowed a 10kg bag within their size range and a smaller piece for the last 3 years and have not policed it for 3 years. People have not been bringing bigger and bigger bags only recently therefore it is not the cause of the recent dip in performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I'm always amazed that people still buy it and even think its the prudent thing to do. Its there with buying insurance for consumer goods for me (was asked did I want to add insurance to a €20 travel iron a couple of months ago - bonkers), and a clever construct but slightly deceitful fabrication of the insurance industry. If you travel a few times a year, carry the risk youself. If you travel frequently, its probably for work - let the business carry it.
    Consumer rights are strong enough these days.

I'm always amazed that people still buy it and even think its the prudent thing to do. Its there with buying insurance for consumer goods for me (was asked did I want to add insurance to a €20 travel iron a couple of months ago - bonkers), and a clever construct but slightly deceitful fabrication of the insurance industry. If you travel a few times a year, carry the risk youself. If you travel frequently, its probably for work - let the business carry it.

Consumer rights will cover for the traffic jam to the airport or the death of a close relative or the damage to your luggage?.... never knew that!

Annual insurance for a family of 4 (for me) costs £50, convince me why consumer rights will pay out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sullysark wrote: »

Can you genuinely see that happening? I don't. They will still have numerous cadet pilots applying with CAE. FTE, CTC (L3/ or whatever they call it now)  and CAE are spitting out hundreds of integrated pilots annually now, add in the modular guys who tend to apply to RYR mostly. 
    They need to find a way to retain their training captains, and possibly not moving new captains to the far ends of Europe.
    Every flight needs a Captain. and so if retaining Captains is whats necessary here then yes it will be costly and possibly cost them some of the current "efficiencies" that are driving current captains away, like being TOLD what base you'll get, and being moved to/from bases when ever it suits the company.  The biggest problem for Ryanair here is that pilots are human, they have lives and families, and these things don't line up with the "ryanair way" of doing business.  Unfortunately for Ryanair and their passengers, there are other and better options for these pilots.

martinsvi wrote: »
    flaneur wrote: »
    They're really getting extremely negative publicity on various news channels.

ah now, remember the time United beat up a passenger or something? Seems like a distant memory and as the time proved - negative publicity has very little to no impact on large corporations
    This is so true! Remember the strikes that affected BA for months a few years ago! Yet they are back flying all those high yielding business travellers etc. how quickly people forget.  
    In a years time this will be forgotten by the public, however I hope it has a positive impact on the conditions of employment Ryanair off their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Ryanair have allowed a 10kg bag within their size range and a smaller piece for the last 3 years and have not policed it for 3 years. People have not been bringing bigger and bigger bags only recently therefore it is not the cause of the recent dip in performance

Fair enough. But when the recent cabin bag changes were announced the general consensus in the thread on it here was that it would speed up boarding greatly. That would imply to me that it was part of the drop in OTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Never had an issue with Ryan Air as you get what you pay for with cheap fares but not a fan of their latest stunt.I'm currently on holiday and hope I don't get caught up in this fiasco next weekend,I have another 2 flights booked with them during the 6 week cull so more grief to worry about.
    Wont be booking with them anymore after this,rather pay the extra fare or connecting flights from now on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

This post has been deleted.

they will now it was just on the RTE news, EU compensation, hotel accommodation and they are required to pay for your flight on a rival airline

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I broke my leg in a Greek island some years back. My 7 euro Ryanair insurance saved me 30k. It's not just for cancellations and missed flights

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Geri1412

Does anyone know if the flights that are cancelled are flights that are already booked, or is it if you book now to travel in 2 weeks time, that that flight could also be cancelled? Also, seems like there are no cancellations from Cork, so it looks like a safe bet, can't find any info on Ryanairs site regardless..

Geri1412 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the flights that are cancelled are flights that are already booked, or is it if you book now to travel in 2 weeks time, that that flight could also be cancelled?  Also, seems like there are no cancellations from Cork, so it looks like a safe bet, can't find any info on Ryanairs site regardless..
    As of now they seem to be cancelling flights in a 48 hours window so no-one knows really. I highly doubt they will constantly cancel the same routes day in day out so id say no route is safe. However its most likely they will cancel on routes that have multiple departures per day, as its then easier to clear the back-log.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

However its most likely they will cancel on routes that have multiple departures per day, as its then easier to clear the back-log.

Routes like Dublin - Hahn(4pw), Santander (2pw) and Nantes (4pw) have been cancelled for tomorrow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    However its most likely they will cancel on routes that have multiple departures per day, as its then easier to clear the back-log.

Routes like Dublin - Hahn(4pw), Santander (2pw) and Nantes (4pw) have been cancelled for tomorrow
    Well in that case they are being less tactful than I thought. could be a case of smaller bases having a bigger crewing issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130092747727926/

well a facebook group has now been set up by disgruntled pax

For those with access to it, I find it hilarious that a person messaged norwegian and asked them if they are gonna start flying to ireland as an alternative to ryanair and even got a response from norwegian and posted a screenshot of the message lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

For anyone who wants some information, Irish Examiner have a fairly good standard article (for them).

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/ryanair-urges-passengers-to-check-e-mails-as-customers-vent-fury-over-flight-cancellations-806209.html

It also details the possible compensation payable if your flight is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've done 40 legs a year for personal flights some years - gigs and football in the UK plus city breaks across Europe and a sibling living in the states for a while. There are times that personal mulitrip insurance is incredibly sensible.

I get it with my credit card, effectively the annual fee for the the card over and above stamp duty pays for it and some basic concierge service to go with it. Before upgrading to a tosser grade card I used to have multitrip.com cover. Never had to call on it, but my parents did when my grandfather died - expensive flights and hotels refunded entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

There's no such thing as highly illegal. Driving over the speed limit is illegal and can be dangerous. Whats the danger here?

No need for the sarcy attitude.
    I was attempting to educate your ignorance, but you obviously are a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Does anyone know when FR will be making public the list of cancellations for Tues. Nothing is on their website yet. I have a flight BVA-DUB that was booked with Sweete through a promotion. They have taken care of everything - i haven't had a single email from FR about the flight (even the standard ones like i received on Sat about a flight i have in Dec). Therefore i presume any notification will go to Sweete. I'd hope they are on the ball and would let me know ASAP but i'd rather double check myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

martinsvi wrote: »
    ah now, remember the time United beat up a passenger or something? Seems like a distant memory and as the time proved - negative publicity has very little to no impact on large corporations
    True. They'll weather it, but there will be a short term hit on new bookings without a doubt, depending on how well or badly they handle it from here. It was gratifying that they held their hands up and admitted they screwed up, rather than blaming the IAA or someone else in the usual fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Is it possible to say (as a general rule of thumb) that they're cancelling flights under 1500km?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

When will flights they are canceling tomorrow (Monday 18 th) be announced I wonder? Abroad with two kids here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

shar01 wrote: »
    Is it possible to say (as a general rule of thumb) that they're cancelling flights under 1500km?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

Dublin to Santander is over 2000km's so who knows? Maybe it's the flights with the least amount of profit in them?

Advertisement