Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

223 69gr ammo

Options
  • 15-09-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can get 69gr bthp match anywhere in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Last time I got some was in Lakelands outside Mullingar.

It was Fiocchi Sierra Match Kings. Cracking 223 round.

€34 a box. This was over 6 months back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

alanmc wrote: »
    Last time I got some was in Lakelands outside Mullingar.

It was Fiocchi Sierra Match Kings. Cracking 223 round.

€34 a box. This was over 6 months back though.

Thanks alan, ya that is on the spicy side alright at 34 a box did think it would be that expensive for fiocchi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

swift220 wrote: »
    Thanks alan, ya that is on the spicy side alright at 34 a box did think it would be that expensive for fiocchi

Dear enough alright. Although they are Sierra Match Kings. And they grouped really well for me at 300 yards.

Of all the 223 brands I tried, they are my favourite.

PPU do them with the SMK aswell but there only around the 20 euro mark if i remember correctly, Irish shooting sports have them in 75gr but not in 69gr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

swift220 wrote: »
    PPU do them with the SMK aswell but there only around the 20 euro mark if i remember correctly, Irish shooting sports have them in 75gr but not in 69gr

Sellior and Bellot do a 69gr Sierra match King but hard enough to get. Ballistech had them last year and price was around 24 ish I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just seeing this thread now.

Have you tried Hornady 60gr TAP (BT) or Federal 64gr. Both run excellently in my 1:9 twist 223.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Just seeing this thread now.

Have you tried Hornady 60gr TAP (BT) or Federal 64gr. Both run excellently in my 1:9 twist 223.

No Cass havnt tryed them i was looking for something in 69gr for a bit of longer range stuff,

i tryed a few hornady 75gr bthp but didnt think they grouped that well maybe i should try them again i still have a few left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some say the 75 gr works well in their 1:9 twist but from the amount i've seen shoot it, it's not as good as it could or should be. That, to me, is because people make the mistake of thinking 75gr works in or requires a 1:9. I think 1:9 is still marginally too slow for 75gr stuff. 75gr never worked overly well in my 1:9, but my mate has a 1:7.75 twist custom barrel and with 75gr stuff it's a laser.

For 75gr, and above, i'd be thinking of using either a 1:8 or 1:7.5 twist rifle. If you have or are using a 1:9 twist rifle then i'd suggest sticking to 69gr down to 60gr. You'll also hear of 55gr stuff working well in 1:9 twist but i've found this to be the case in short range distances only (IOW 300 yards and below). After than its not as good. Now when i say as good i'm talking about target levels of accuracy so before anyone says they can drop foxes at 400 yards with 55gr ammo in a 1:9, i don't doubt it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

Are you looking for any brand of 69gr
    Remington 69gr hpbt are a good little long range round and I think can be bought at dom byrne

Cass wrote: »
    Some say the 75 gr works well in their 1:9 twist but from the amount i've seen shoot it, it's not as good as it could or should be. That, to me, is because people make the mistake of thinking 75gr works in or requires a 1:9. I think 1:9 is still marginally too slow for 75gr stuff. 75gr never worked overly well in my 1:9, but my mate has a 1:7.75 twist custom barrel and with 75gr stuff it's a laser.

For 75gr, and above, i'd be thinking of using either a 1:8 or 1:7.5 twist rifle. If you have or are using a 1:9 twist rifle then i'd suggest sticking to 69gr down to 60gr. You'll also hear of 55gr stuff working well in 1:9 twist but i've found this to be the case in short range distances only (IOW 300 yards and below). After than its not as good. Now when i say as good i'm talking about target levels of accuracy so before anyone says they can drop foxes at 400 yards with 55gr ammo in a 1:9, i don't doubt it.

Ya i always thought 1;9 would be enough for 75gr but after trying it im thinking other wise so thats why i was looking to try some 69gr

• Advertisement

Are you looking for any brand of 69gr
    Remington 69gr hpbt are a good little long range round and I think can be bought at dom byrne

I was thinking something like Ppu or sellior & bellot they use (sierra match kings) the cheaper brands, i think them remington 69gr are over 30 euro a box

swift220 wrote:
    I was thinking something like Ppu or sellior & bellot they use (sierra match kings) the cheaper brands, i think them remington 69gr are over 30 euro a box

I have both at hand for days I'm shooting over the norm iv a video of sellier&bellot 69 gr going out to 1000 meters my YouTube channel is "82headcase"
    The s&b was readly available here locally till the dealer passed away and that was that

The Ppu are not a bad round and pat carley might have some got in and I think iris shooting sports down south had them at one Time

I have both at hand for days I'm shooting over the norm iv a video of sellier&bellot 69 gr going out to 1000 meters my YouTube channel is "82headcase"
    The s&b was readly available here locally till the dealer passed away and that was that

Jez thats great shooting to a 1000 meters i must check out that video.
    The Ppu are not a bad round and pat carley might have some got in and I think iris shooting sports down south had them at one Time

ya ive heard fairly good things about both rounds, Ive looked on patrick carleys website but no sign off them there. irish shooting sports only have ppu in 75gr, i ,ight have to make a few phone calls to ask around as they might not have them listed on there websites

It's bad when ya have to ring cause there to lazy or don't have time to update sites it's pain full and I find it frustrating that the choice is shocking here and not consistent. I was shooting ppu 75 gr had data all gathered and then the dealer was out with no more in sight

It's bad when ya have to ring cause there to lazy or don't have time to update sites it's pain full and I find it frustrating that the choice is shocking here and not consistent. I was shooting ppu 75 gr had data all gathered and then the dealer was out with no more in sight

Thats the worst thing we have to put up with here theres never enough stock or choice when it comes to ammunition we can never find what suits our rifle and when we do there isnt enough availability of that round, and especially when we cant reload were caught by the cojones.

Advertisement