Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE slams "secret" producer for telling the truth?

• 15-09-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Didn't see a thread on this. If already just merge! Someone is dishing the dirt behind the scenes at RTE on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtesecretpro

Some good stuff and not surprised!

I'll try get screengrab so you don't have to read it all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I couldn't make head nor tail of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Me neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Where is the slam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

This producer should do a Boards AMA :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where is the slam?

It's media speak for "strongly disapproves" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What has he said? Is there anything actually intelligible in all that? And how does anybody know if it's genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's not really fair to leak secrets about an organisation after you've left.

It's media speak for "strongly disapproves" ;)

Yes now link me to RTÉ's statement

It's not really fair to leak secrets about an organisation after you've left.

Sorry, I just realised that this individual is still working with RTE.

That makes it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Any chance of a summary of the "dirt" they are dishing

RTÉ refused to comment. While unnamed bosses 'criticised'.

Now where did I leave my pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What a crock of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RTÉ refused to comment. While unnamed bosses 'criticised'.

Now where did I leave my pinch of salt

Of course the account could be fake...but it does go in to some details of work practices at the station so more than likely genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm lost where's the dirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

1/ The senior producer (we call him Pervy Patrick to his face) of the 6.1 news turns down the thermostat to Igloo-type levels right before going live so Sharon's nips stiffen up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Hammer89 wrote: »
    1/ The senior producer (we call him Pervy Patrick to his face) of the 6.1 news turns down the thermostat to Igloo-type levels right before going live so Sharon's nips stiffen up

Can't see them anymore since they've dropped below the desk

Of course the account could be fake...but it does go in to some details of work practices at the station so more than likely genuine.

I didn't question the account I question the 'sources'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was hoping for some "Ray Darcy is actually a bunch of mangy cats held together by a neck scarf" type revelations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was hoping for some "Ray Darcy is actually a bunch of mangy cats held together by a neck scarf" type revelations.

Ryan Tubridy is actually two greyhounds stapled to a child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Unknown man/woman makes claims about unnamed men/women.

Riveting. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Looks like a publicity stunt to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

Unknown man/woman makes claims about unnamed men/women.

Riveting. :rolleyes:

Unknown earthling makes comment on unknown man/woman making claims about unnamed men/women.

Spine-tingling. *rolls testicles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There were 4 attempts at a Craig doyle show to replace podge and rodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Here's a good one... it's easier to read when you click on the (Edit/correction, don't use Twitter either) tweet itself, so if it starts with 17/ it will be the 17th in a long string of tweets on the same topic by the guy. I thought it was probably a prank but you've got people like Graeme Linehan confirming details below.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtesecretpro/status/908622108724486144

Ridiculous, and I'm going to go ahead and assume it's true with people like Linehan (way too big to give a fiddlers what RTE think of him) backing it up!

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

poor old Craig Doyle

"The Social with Craig Doyle" - Don't bother googling it, even the internet has forgotten it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Didn't see a thread on this. If already just merge! Someone is dishing the dirt behind the scenes at RTE on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtesecretpro

Some good stuff and not surprised!

I'll try get screengrab so you don't have to read it all

Wait, I'm confused about this. So the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Exactly, RTE is dying on it's feet and they are desperately trying to justify themselves.

• Advertisement

An interesting insight into how the organisation runs. Those who had any dealings with them in the past won't be surprised.

Oh...and for readers looking for juicy details on the likes Tubridy or Darcy here, it's not that kind of expose. It's a glance though at the incompetent, backward, wasteful management of RTE. An organisation who only recently were making their latest attempts to cry the poor mouth and extract more money from the public, whether we use their services or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sorry, I just realised that this individual is still working with RTE.

That makes it worse.

So basically, whistleblowing is never ok then? :D

Especially when it's whistleblowing about what comes out of the taxpayers pocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Asked someone i know whos in there and apparently its legit, people going nuts in there about it due to it all being pretty much true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Sure he's bringing up RTE staff coked up at sex parties.

Not!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

mzungu wrote: »
    I notice they say "We'll punish the person writing these tweets" rather than "These tweets are a load of bollocks".

Says a lot, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'd love to see them dish the dirt on Fair City.

Vojera wrote: »
    I notice they say "We'll punish the person writing these tweets" rather than "These tweets are a load of bollocks".

Says a lot, imo.

Yep, and it also says a lot that their response is not even make a statement about looking internally at the farce that has been exposed which occurs on the public's TV licence money but to focus on finding and punishing the person who exposed them.

RTE, tone deaf as ever. Which is -exactly- what a lot of his tweets were getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I'm in a minority it would appear, but think RTE do a fairly good job in general. Certainly get more bang for your buck with their output, than with the ridiculous sums SKY charge for endless repeats, hyped up sports events, and tabloid 24 hour news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lots of the posts could be written by anyone who has read The Phoenix over the past few years; any level of "insider info" could be got by an intern with an rte.ie email addy and access to their intranet. There really is nothing to see here.

I'm in a minority it would appear, but think RTE do a fairly good job in general. Certainly get more bang for your buck with their output, than with the ridiculous sums SKY charge for endless repeats, hyped up sports events, and tabloid 24 hour news.

I'd agree with you, but that doesn't mean that there aren't issues - and that, like literally everything else in Irish public life, nobody is ever punished or held accountable for either creating or failing to fix them.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Lots of the posts could be written by anyone who has read The Phoenix over the past few years; any level of "insider info" could be got by an intern with an rte.ie email addy and access to their intranet. There really is nothing to see here.

RTE would appearto disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Billy86 wrote: »
    RTE would appearto disagree.

No, newspapers looking to get newsprint out of it saying so would appear to disagree.

The media in Ireland is small and incestuous. You can work for a private media firm and know intimate details about RTE, and other private media firms, very very easily.

I worked in commercial TV over a decade ago in the UK and commercial radio in Ireland more recently and I knew everything being "revealed" on that account; I just didn't see any need to present it as news. Anything "scandalous" is known via our tiny investigative media already.

I suspect the Twitter poster does work for RTE. I suspect they are not as important as they think they are. I suspect they work in kids production (yPP) as they seem obsessed with that. What they're saying is true but its absolutely not news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jimbobalob309

who is this bosie? some former disgruntled staff member i'd guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eoghanhickey

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Exactly, RTE is dying on it's feet and they are desperately trying to justify themselves.

I don't see how it helps RTE if I'm honest. Like, the whole idea that there's no such thing as bad publicity isn't actually true. George Hook has had quite a bit recently, and that hasn't really benefitted him or Newstalk. Some interesting reasons on the Twitter acc. given to why the TV programmes look so cheap (essentially unionised), or to the lack of ambition or enthusiasm around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

L1011 wrote: »
    No, newspapers looking to get newsprint out of it saying so would appear to disagree.

The media in Ireland is small and incestuous. You can work for a private media firm and know intimate details about RTE, and other private media firms, very very easily.

I worked in commercial TV over a decade ago in the UK and commercial radio in Ireland more recently and I knew everything being "revealed" on that account; I just didn't see any need to present it as news. Anything "scandalous" is known via our tiny investigative media already.

I suspect the Twitter poster does work for RTE. I suspect they are not as important as they think they are. I suspect they work in kids production (yPP) as they seem obsessed with that. What they're saying is true but its absolutely not news.
    Perhaps it was widely known in media and insider circles, but it's not widely known among the general public that pay the license fee. That is the point of this Twitter account.

I mean why should license payers be funding such a wasteful organisation, (see the protectionist behaviour of the cameraman unions) and then RTE have the gall to ask the public to pay more. RTE need to shift the deadwood, adopt the modern working practices everyone else has.

This Twitter account fundamentally undermines RTEs appeal to the government for more license money. That's why it's causing such problems for RTE management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I don't see how it helps RTE if I'm honest. Like, the whole idea that there's no such thing as bad publicity isn't actually true. George Hook has had quite a bit recently, and that hasn't really benefitted him or Newstalk. Some interesting reasons on the Twitter acc. given to why the TV programmes look so cheap (essentially unionised), or to the lack of ambition or enthusiasm around the place.

I did find the remark quite amusing that RTE is the opposite of Logan's Run - there's virtually no one under 30 there. :D

Just a lot of wheezebags & boring old farts that need to be put out to pasture such as Marian Finucane and Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eoghanhickey

ZeroThreat wrote: »

I did find the remark quite amusing that RTE is the opposite of Logan's Run - there's virtually no one under 30 there. :D

Just a lot of wheezebags & boring old farts that need to be put out to pasture such as Marian Finucane and Joe Duffy.
    Yeah, I think the Logan's run reference itself kinda speaks to the demographic

Unless there's something sinister going on then no.

Nobody likes a Rat or a Stool Pigeon.

It's the most dishonourable thing a man could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm lost where's the dirt?

He's off this week because his programme had to make another apology to Ryanair.

Unless there's something sinister going on then no.

Nobody likes a Rat or a Stool Pigeon.

It's the most dishonourable thing a man could do.

Personally I'd regard ineptitude and crappy management in an organisation which is wasting massive amounts of taxpayers' money while demanding more and more as something sinister. Maybe that's just me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement