Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport expires in less than 6 months ????

• 15-09-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

We were hoping to go to New York in Oct this year (2017) for 1 week. One of our passports expires in January 2018.

Friend mentioned it should have at least 6 months left, from the return date of our holiday, (end Oct 2017).

Dept of Foreign Affairs website says -
    United States

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date.

What to do? Don't really want to apply for a new passport, so near our travel dates. Perhaps defer for a few weeks, and then have plenty of time to apply for a new passport and receive it.

Additionally, do I need the passport to book the flights with Aer Lingus? If so, we would need the new one before booking because the old and new numbers would not match.

Probably have to call someone on Monday, but who...passport office maybe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Passport express or go into the passport office.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philips2233

Are you saying if I call the passport office, they can answer my question? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I flew over and back recently and my passport was out 2 weeks after my return date. No problem. I used Passport Express to get a new passport and it came in less than a week. It's a great app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

We were hoping to go to New York in Oct this year (2017) for 1 week. One of our passports expires in January 2018.

Friend mentioned it should have at least 6 months left, from the return date of our holiday, (end Oct 2017).

Dept of Foreign Affairs website says -
    United States

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date.

What to do? Don't really want to apply for a new passport, so near our travel dates. Perhaps defer for a few weeks, and then have plenty of time to apply for a new passport and receive it.

Additionally, do I need the passport to book the flights with Aer Lingus? If so, we would need the new one before booking because the old and new numbers would not match.

Probably have to call someone on Monday, but who...passport office maybe?

Thanks

Seems like you'll be fine?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Jan/Six-Month%20Club%20Update%2012-5-16.pdf
    Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be
    in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the United
    States. Citizens of the countries listed below are exempt the six-month rule and need only have a passport valid
    for their intended period of stay.

and Ireland is on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philips2233

Thanks, excellent information. Checked your list and Ireland is on it. This matches with what is on the Dep of Foreign Affairs and Trade websits. So, I am good to go with existing passport. Following your information, searched again and found this website, which leads to your document - https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html. Again thanks for the help....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For anyone else reading this thread who needs assurance that you do not need 6 months remaining on your passport to travel to the US, Ireland is listed in the 'six month club' which are the countries where your passport simply needs to be valid for the duration of your visit. It can expire on the day you travel home and you will have no problem.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/bulletins/six-month-club-update

Advertisement