Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JUNIOR CERT HELP

Options
  • 15-09-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm doing the following subjects at higher level and need help to get good grades
    I do the following subjects:
    -Art
    -Maths
    -Science
    -History
    -English
    -Irish
    -Home Economics
    -German
    -Geography
    Maths- How do I do well in maths?
    English-Idk what to do for English, my teacher sucks and doesnt correct work properly so idk what grade student I am -need lots of help
    Irish- I'm scared for the scéal/eachtra, how can I impress an examiner in the exam and also improve in listening tape? Also need help in comprehensions
    German- how can I do well in comprehensions/listening/letter/postcard
    I also need advice from the other subjects
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubsli97

I would say for subjects like Irish and German to practise writing essays/stories/postcards and hand them up to your teacher to correct and ask for advice.

In History, long questions are marked in terms of how many factual statements are in your answer. For example the people in history essays require 10 independent facts each worth 2 marks to get full marks. You can figure out how many facts you need by dividing the marks going for the question by 2. If you practise it that way (bearing in mind that it'll probably make the subject less inspiring to study) you'll likely get a good exam technique for it.

If Junior Cycle Science is anything like Junior Cert science, I did it by studying the chapter and then finding past paper questions based on that chapter. Later in the year I did a few full past papers.

For Art, make sure not to neglect your support studies and your comparatory research sheets. Make sure there's a diverse spread of techniques and ideas. Don't leave out any section of the project. If you haven't picked your project theme yet, I'd advise picking a topic you're really interested in. I know you're meant to pick from a prescribed list, but normally there's at least one that you can morph into something you want. As for the main areas of the project I can't say much other than do your best and try not to get distracted in class.

For Geography maybe practise diagrams and past paper questions? They always seem to mark this one quite harshly. Try and go into detail but stay relevant with your answers. I believe most of it is marked on a "One mark for statement, two for development" sort of basis, or something along those lines.

In Maths, I'd say just keep doing questions from the book, keep going over them and figuring out where you went wrong until you can't go wrong. On the paper itself, look out for questions that seem at first glance to be about a different topic than they actually are. Especially with things like algebraic long division.

I'm not sure what to say for English, try to avoid prelearned answers and improve your ability to collect your thoughts comprehensively on a page under time pressure. See if you can absorb some more eloquent words and phrases into your vocabulary, because this will go a long way in giving your answers clarity.

I didn't do Home Economics so I have no idea about that one. Sorry.

I hope this helped and you do well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hana_20

dubsli97 wrote: »
    I would say for subjects like Irish and German to practise writing essays/stories/postcards and hand them up to your teacher to correct and ask for advice.

In History, long questions are marked in terms of how many factual statements are in your answer. For example the people in history essays require 10 independent facts each worth 2 marks to get full marks. You can figure out how many facts you need by dividing the marks going for the question by 2. If you practise it that way (bearing in mind that it'll probably make the subject less inspiring to study) you'll likely get a good exam technique for it.

If Junior Cycle Science is anything like Junior Cert science, I did it by studying the chapter and then finding past paper questions based on that chapter. Later in the year I did a few full past papers.

For Art, make sure not to neglect your support studies and your comparatory research sheets. Make sure there's a diverse spread of techniques and ideas. Don't leave out any section of the project. If you haven't picked your project theme yet, I'd advise picking a topic you're really interested in. I know you're meant to pick from a prescribed list, but normally there's at least one that you can morph into something you want. As for the main areas of the project I can't say much other than do your best and try not to get distracted in class.

For Geography maybe practise diagrams and past paper questions? They always seem to mark this one quite harshly. Try and go into detail but stay relevant with your answers. I believe most of it is marked on a "One mark for statement, two for development" sort of basis, or something along those lines.

In Maths, I'd say just keep doing questions from the book, keep going over them and figuring out where you went wrong until you can't go wrong. On the paper itself, look out for questions that seem at first glance to be about a different topic than they actually are. Especially with things like algebraic long division.

I'm not sure what to say for English, try to avoid prelearned answers and improve your ability to collect your thoughts comprehensively on a page under time pressure. See if you can absorb some more eloquent words and phrases into your vocabulary, because this will go a long way in giving your answers clarity.

I didn't do Home Economics so I have no idea about that one. Sorry.

I hope this helped and you do well :)

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it a lot :))

• Registered Users Posts: 8 yellowsoul

Art - didn't do it.

Maths - do as many past exam papers are possible. In my experience, it was really weird in third year because the questions were so different. If you can't do a question, ask your teacher for help.

Science - Make sure not to focus on all areas. I only focused on biology and chemistry which wasn't smart because they are equal parts in the exam (At least, they were, not sure about new junior cycle science.)

History - learn your keywords, practice your short questions as the same questions typically come up, start learning your person in history questions early because people often become overwhelmed by the amount you have to learn in history.

English - it's too unpredictable to give good advice but just know your poetry, novel and drama well. Try and improve your vocabulary too.

Irish - try listening to Irish radio stations or watching programmes in Irish. Learn general phrases for every story instead of rote learning 6 different stories. Practice reading in Irish.

Home Economics - don't neglect your practical and project, I was bad at them so that brought my grade down. Practice all the short questions. Always do Q1 in section 2 if you like it because the question is basically the same every year. Know food groups extremely well.

German - For the listening, know food vocab, numbers, directions and the alphabet really well. Practice all reading comprehension and look up words you don't know. Write down as much detail as you can. For writing, know your tenses. Make sure to answer the question that is being asked. If you have time, check your word order. KNOW YOUR CASES. The cases are really important.

Geography - master your short questions because they are worth a lot. Practice long questions. The marking scheme for long answers is often confusing, so if it is possible, get your teacher to mark it.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hana_20

yellowsoul wrote: »
    Art - didn't do it.

Maths - do as many past exam papers are possible. In my experience, it was really weird in third year because the questions were so different. If you can't do a question, ask your teacher for help.

Science - Make sure not to focus on all areas. I only focused on biology and chemistry which wasn't smart because they are equal parts in the exam (At least, they were, not sure about new junior cycle science.)

History - learn your keywords, practice your short questions as the same questions typically come up, start learning your person in history questions early because people often become overwhelmed by the amount you have to learn in history.

English - it's too unpredictable to give good advice but just know your poetry, novel and drama well. Try and improve your vocabulary too.

Irish - try listening to Irish radio stations or watching programmes in Irish. Learn general phrases for every story instead of rote learning 6 different stories. Practice reading in Irish.

Home Economics - don't neglect your practical and project, I was bad at them so that brought my grade down. Practice all the short questions. Always do Q1 in section 2 if you like it because the question is basically the same every year. Know food groups extremely well.

German - For the listening, know food vocab, numbers, directions and the alphabet really well. Practice all reading comprehension and look up words you don't know. Write down as much detail as you can. For writing, know your tenses. Make sure to answer the question that is being asked. If you have time, check your word order. KNOW YOUR CASES. The cases are really important.

Geography - master your short questions because they are worth a lot. Practice long questions. The marking scheme for long answers is often confusing, so if it is possible, get your teacher to mark it.

Hope this helps :)
    thanks so much for the help!!

Advertisement