Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding decent accommodation abroad?

• 16-09-2017 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

An obvious answer to this obviously, but itchy feet next year might see me escape the rain here at last. I'm an auld buck, so if I were to go, I'd have to look into arranging accommodation either before I go, or right when I arrive.

Any of you in this scenario before? I'm thinking it might be easy to either book a room in a hostel for a month or so, and agree a fee, or similar, and then look for "proper" accommodation.

I could, in theory, apply that model to any city or place. Where I'm going, I either won't be able to stay with friends, or I won't know anyone in said place.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you were to give us some indicate of where you wanted to go, you might get more useful information.

For instance in Switzerland, you could start out with a room in an AirBnb, a hotel room or a short term furnished apartment. However like most of mainland Europe you need to register with the local community office within three months, so you'd need have yourself sorted out by then.

Also apartments here are rented unfurnished and that means not even light switches etc!

You really do need to provide some kind of location information to get useful advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry for the late reply. Well, to answer your question, it'll be Italy or Spain. You'll laugh at that, as it's very generic as it is.
    I've been in Italy before, in Rome for a few years, but I would look at the Bologna area if I go back.
    I'm in "negotiation talks" with the lady, and if all goes well, it'll be the south of Spain and I won't have to worry about accommodation. However worst case scenario and I'm on my own again, I'll look at the north of Spain perhaps.
    Very random I know, and vague....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

seachto7 wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply. Well, to answer your question, it'll be Italy or Spain. You'll laugh at that, as it's very generic as it is.
    I've been in Italy before, in Rome for a few years, but I would look at the Bologna area if I go back.
    I'm in "negotiation talks" with the lady, and if all goes well, it'll be the south of Spain and I won't have to worry about accommodation. However worst case scenario and I'm on my own again, I'll look at the north of Spain perhaps.
    Very random I know, and vague....

Airbnb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would folk rent out Airb&b at a reduced rate for a month or so? I'd have thought they'd lose out on a higher daily rate if so.
    I mean if you were paying 50e per night for a room for example, it would get pretty pricey pretty quickly if you wanted to stay for a month while you were getting your feet on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

seachto7 wrote: »
    Would folk rent out Airb&b at a reduced rate for a month or so? I'd have thought they'd lose out on a higher daily rate if so.
    I mean if you were paying 50e per night for a room for example, it would get pretty pricey pretty quickly if you wanted to stay for a month while you were getting your feet on the ground.

Airbnb rates are quite competitive and they normally have a 'long term' rate for rentals of 1 month or more; It varies from host to host.
    All prices are displayed on their website too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement