Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Dublin

Options
  • 16-09-2017 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start the annual thread where we complain about how sh*t this is. I actually like it, once you're in and have a seat, but yesterday I went over after work and it was closed from 1630 to 1730 for God know's what reason, so we went and had a pint, then came back at 1730, had to queue for about an hour to get in. You go through airport style security this year where they search the bejasus out of you, then you have to pay 10e in and you get a voucher for food.
    I wonder why they've made it so un-user friendly this year? I'd say the council or the Garda are on their backs to make sure people eat and beefing up security. Why does it have to be such a big deal? Why can't it be bigger, somewhere else and why can't people just walk into the place and walk up and buy a f*cking drink instead of the massive shebang they're making out of it? I had great fun but with the massive drama in getting into the place and the 10e price tag this year I wont be going back again, I advise others not to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This is the norm from now on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Birneybau wrote: »
    This is the norm from now on.

What's the norm?
    Also it's Erdinger Crystal Festbier this year, not Fischer, as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I love it... Got very drunk though... Way drunker than I thought I was... Like every year.... My favourite band too :)

I love it... Got very drunk though... Way drunker than I thought I was... Like every year.... My favourite band too :)

Me too, blacked out but I think I was in bed by midnight. I'm strangely not that hungover, maybe it's the brand of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am glad to hear security has been beefed up... went a couple of years ago and it was mayhem.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I go every year and never saw anything resembling trouble. The opposite in fact, there's a great atmosphere and everyone talks to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I hate it with a passion but that's coz I'm working across the road while everyone's having fun!

Noticed the queue yesterday alright and then I looked into the area itself and it was empty. Around the half 5/6pm mark. Thought it was strange but the OP has explained that.

The opening times for the festival are:

Mondays to Thursdays 12.00pm – 11.30pm
    Fridays to Saturdays 12.00pm – 04.30pm + 05.30pm – 11.30pm
    Sundays 12.00pm – 10.30pm

So be weary of this, if you went in today on a Saturday, you'd be kicked out at 4.30pm for an hour and then have to queue for ages to come back, and pay a tenner in! A total racket really. What a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is this a "holy hour" lol, why the f do they shut for an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont think id bother this year. Last year i was there twice, and there was definitely a different vibe from the place both nights, a lot rougher than previous years. The tenner entry and longer queues have made my mind up for me this time

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is this a "holy hour" lol, why the f do they shut for an hour?

So that they can get everyone out, then charge everyone a tenner for coming back in

Me too, blacked out but I think I was in bed by midnight. I'm strangely not that hungover, maybe it's the brand of beer.

oops found out one of my party took a tumble and ended up in a&e

retalivity wrote: »
    Dont think id bother this year. Last year i was there twice, and there was definitely a different vibe from the place both nights, a lot rougher than previous years. The tenner entry and longer queues have made my mind up for me this time

it's only a tenner fri/sat as far as i could see

I go every year and never saw anything resembling trouble. The opposite in fact, there's a great atmosphere and everyone talks to everyone.

i found there's always a late night infiltration of scumbags there to rob bags etc.

it's only a tenner fri/sat as far as i could see

How do they justify that though? Pure greed. They must make a killing as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Glad to hear security and financial deterrence for scumbags has been introduced.

How do they justify that though? Pure greed. They must make a killing as is.

It's an absolute goldmine... Great fun though
    I have an old stein here I'm actually going to pour a pint into it now as an experiment

I'm back... To my amazement they are not far off 2pints... So it's €6 a pint and they sell millions of the stuff

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    Glad to hear security and financial deterrence for scumbags has been introduced.

What are you on about? Never saw any "scumbags" or trouble. They can't justify 10 euros given the killing they must make from the bars and food.

What are you on about? Never saw any "scumbags" or trouble. They can't justify 10 euros given the killing they must make from the bars and food.

Open your eyes

I go every year. For all I know you'd think I'm a "scumbag" ffs.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why they don't move it to a bigger venue, like the RDS or something. Probably wouldn't be licenced though in this Nanny State.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It adds life after work to the ifsc. To try and prevent it being a total deadzone. Badly needed and gives a bit of light relief after wotk to the office workers.

I go every year. For all I know you'd think I'm a "scumbag" ffs.

Do you enter with a gang for targeted thefts?... I go every year also... Saw none of it last night in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I don't understand why they don't move it to a bigger venue, like the RDS or something. Probably wouldn't be licenced though in this Nanny State.

You are calling them greedy for charging €10 on a friday/saturday. Imagine the cost if they were paying the massive fees for hosting an event in the RDS

Oktoberfest goes on for like 2 weeks. I imagine it would not be in any financial feasible to do it in the RDS. Plus the RDS is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Whereas the IFSC has hundreds of thousands of employees within a brief walk

You are calling them greedy for charging €10 on a friday/saturday. Imagine the cost if they were paying the massive fees for hosting an event in the RDS

Oktoberfest goes on for like 2 weeks. I imagine it would not be in any financial feasible to do it in the RDS. Plus the RDS is kinda in the middle of nowhere. Whereas the IFSC has hundreds of thousands of employees within a brief walk

Maybe in tents in Merrion Square or something. That's what they do in the London Oktoberfest, it was in Kennington Park when I lived there, and there's no entrance fee. I think hundreds of thousands is a stretch working in the IFSC anyway. Either way, 3 or 4 days of the week a bigger venue would full, I'd imagine it would make up for smaller crowds on the quiet nights.

Would never happen in a bigger venue, they just wouldn't allow it in Ireland. And why were there police walking around the thing? With the security at the gate and then Garda in there? Bizarre, this country is just anti fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Would never happen in a bigger venue, they just wouldn't allow it in Ireland. And why were there police walking around the thing? With the security at the gate and then Garda in there? Bizarre, this country is just anti fun.

This is just comical. People give out that public events in Ireland are ruined by scumbags and then when there is an event with an actual Garda presence, they still give out.

This is just comical. People give out that public events in Ireland are ruined by scumbags and then when there is an event with an actual Garda presence, they still give out.

I've not been to an event ruined by scumbags. You are probably one of these people that thinks walking around Dublin is dangerous though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Why isn't it actually held in October? Or maybe they should call it Septemberfest instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Polar101 wrote: »
    Why isn't it actually held in October? Or maybe they should call it Septemberfest instead.
    Oktoberfest always takes place in September.

Advertisement